Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning dear cottagers!

Another glorious day here in our neck of the woods. I had planned to go to my favorite plant sale of the year today, but events of the last week have me reconsidering. We had pouring rain on Tuesday as I was headed to school. Our traffic is so awful around here and I debated which route to take. Of course, I choose poorly. Someone pulled into the main road right in front of me (he was trying to cross three lanes to turn left) and I smashed into his rear door-thank goodness it was not his driver's door or he might have been hurt. As it was, no one was injured and we both were nice people with no anger issues! :) He did get a ticket, so that is good for me, but I am sorry for him as he is a Washington Post distributor who really needs his car. My car didn't look bad at all, but one of the turbo air intakes must have cracked, so it wouldn't drive. At this point, though, I am totally bummed because they have declared my car a total loss-$12,000 worth of damage. You would never guess it to look at it. Love my Audi allroad-solid and safe, but so expensive to fix. It only had $58,000 miles on it despite being a 2001 car and was in perfect condition. Darn. :( Now I am looking at a car payment. Yuck. Chuck suggested a little motor bike-this is the man with two-count them-TWO BMWs sitting in the drive! I was not amused.

Okay, whine finished. Today's question has to do with music. Do you know what instrument Bartolomeo Cristofori is credited with inventing? He was hired as an inventor by Prince Ferdinando de Medici. His 1709 invention would eventually change music forever.

Cynthia

Comments (10)

• thinman
    11 years ago

Sorry about your accident, Cynthia. Don't you hate how that works out? You can't buy a car for $12,000 that would come close to the nice low-mileage car you already have, but there's nothing you can do about it. I guess that's what you get for taking such good care of your vehicle.

As for Bartolomeo Cristofori, his name sounds really familiar to me, but the old brain hasn't made any connections yet. I'll be working on it.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, TM. Glad it is no more than a (big) irritation. Happily, John (son) and Chuck are very good about finding great used cars (I haven't bought a new car since moving to VA where we have a yearly "Personal Property Tax" on cars-Not eager to pay the state thousands of dollars for a new car). There are some strings attached to giving them the job. I gave them my list: low mileage and heated seats. Oh and turbo. And leather seats. And a sunroof. And a color I like. And not big. And a wagon for the pups. And solid and safe. And want it by next weekend since my rental allowance will be close to running out. And, and, and. Hmmm... ;)

Our tree service guys are here spraying for borers. I was out in the yard hammering away at the weeds when they arrived, but not wanting to be out there while they are spraying the oaks.

Tempted to run to that plant sale anyway, now that Chuck is home while you and others, I hope, search for my clues.

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

So glad you weren't hurt Cyn, not fun. I think I know this but you know how that goes. Being it's saturday it's DH's turn to cook, in other words we'll be having chinese, I'm pretty good with those chopsticks after a glass of wine :).

Annette

• thinman
    11 years ago

Hmmmm. Strings? Hammering? Chopsticks? Did this instrument originally have the word forte as part of its name?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

HA! I was going to get around to chopsticks and heart and soul...

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Wow! Sorry to hear about your accident. Please pay attention to your body the next few days. For all the negative press whiplash gets it is a very real and life affecting part of some accidents. After more than ten years I still have problems with my right shoulder and arm from a car accident. My car was also totaled and I understand losing a car that was just right.

Didn't need the clues as knew this one. Looks like TM did a good job finding them.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the caution, Bobbie. I am so sorry to hear you have lingering issues. These things happen so fast, don't they. I debated since I was a little sore the next two days, but I think that was just from the seatbelt. If I get any pain from now on, I will definitely call the doc! May just call anyway to see if they think there could be any issues, but I really feel fine.

So, I will wait a bit for Nancy, but the stars will be out tonight!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Well, I thought that I had put a note in this am - huh, guess not!! My music teacher has the precursor to this When I was in my teens. If I'd been very good in a week, I got to play it!! lol. Little did she know I could have cared less, I wanted to play like the Beatles!! lol. Loud and soft at the same time, I guess that explains it all!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

**** for Annette, TM, Bobbie, and Nancy!

Yes, Cristofori is credited with the invention of the piano. Before the piano, he invented the spinettone (big spinet) and the oval spinet which was a type of virginal. From an inventory of the Medici family, here is the first authenticated reference:
    Un Arpicembalo di Bartolomeo Cristofori di nuova inventione, ch fa' il piano, e il forte, a' due registri principali unisoni, con fond di cipresso senza rosa..."
    A large "Arpicembalo" by Bartolomeo Cristofori, of new invention that produces soft and loud, with two sets of strings at unison pitch, with soundboard of cypress without rose..."
    From this description it was called the pianoforte (sometimes the fortepiano).

He was able to get both the soft and loud sounds by using hammers successfully to strike the strings.

So, my brilliant friends, I am thinking I should have asked you about the invention of John Shore instead, but I couldn't think of enough clues to lead you to the tuning fork. :)

Have a wonderful evening and a better tomorrow! As always, thanks for playing!

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

LOL Nancy, I was stuck playing the classical stuff if only I'd been allowed to play some pop I might of stuck with it.

Cyn, kind of glad you didn't do the John Shore thing, I wouldn't have got that one :).

Annette

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company