Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Weekend Trivia -- Saturday

thinman
12 years ago

Happy weekend, dear cottagers. Two grandsons, 5 and 3, are with us for the weekend so we were early risers today. They're dear boys though, so it's not a big hardship.

I may have a stumper for you today, but then I've thought that before. On Tuesday Mayor Bloomberg announced the name of the car company that would supply the next fleet of yellow cabs for the city of New York. It wasn't GM, Ford, or Chrysler. What company was it?

ThinMan

Comments (12)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

My first thought was an historic one, but can't remember the name of the old NYC cabs. That would be neat to see them again - anyone remember the company name?

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Mornin' everyone, I have no idea what the answer is on this one soooo I'll hang around and possibly ride in on someone else's coat tails :).

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I'll bet Chuck knows. I'll ask him when he gets home.

I wonder if he ordered a fleet of Priuses (is that the plural?). If that's the case, then he should have gone with one of the big three who also have versions. Then again, maybe the cabs are from a US Toyota factory? Hmmm what other manufacturers are there? Rolls Royce? How nice would that be-lol! Or, better yet, how cute would it be to have a fleet of Cooper Minis painted like yellow cabs? I would so love that! Alas, definitely too small.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

In the mid 60's a friend of my husband bought one for his personal car. The company was Checker Motors.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Saw this one on the news earlier this week. It certainly doesn't look like the traditional cab though is bright yellow.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

I cheated and looked it up, ya had me curious! I had a Multi wagon made by this company and I LOVED it!

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Oh darn - it was Checker that I was going to go with!!! Can you hear Barbara Streisand singing, " Nicky Arnstein!"?? lol. He owned Yellow Cabs. Can't believe they didn't go NA!! Must then be Japanese, and Multiwagon makes me think Honda. Huh!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Well, I am out. No idea and it would be a pure guess. That said, hmmm, okay, Japanese...I'll guess Toyota. At least we have two companies covered Nancy. I had no idea that Nicky Arnstein (who is indelibly etched in my mind thanks to Omar) owned Yellow Cabs. That is some cool trivia, too.

Still think he should have gone with Minis or Rolls...just sayin'.

12 years ago

I'm still Hmmmmmmmmmm-ing.

Annette

12 years ago

I just asked DH if he knew he said nope but they're using Toyota hybrids here sooooo maybe they're using them in New York too. Since I can't find any coattails to slide in on I'll go with Toyota.

Annette

• thinman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The answer is Nissan.

{{gwi:602529}}

Nissan is apparently locked in as the NYC cab supplier for the next ten years.

It looks like I stumped everyone but Bobbie, who is too well-informed to be stumped. for Bobbie.

Also, I accidentally posted the question on the Discussions side, and Natalie B got Nissan right off the bat. for Natalie. Natalie, you should join us in Conversations every weekend.

TM

P.S. Checker would have been a great answer, but they actually stopped making cars in I think 1992, but stayed in business as a car parts maker until just a couple of years ago.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Still think my ideas were better-haha.

Thanks for the fun, TM.

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions