Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

Good morning, all. It is a lovely day for weeding! It is also a lovely day for lazing about which is what I am doing. I got a good night's sleep, so I am ready for whatever.

As a teacher, I am in the top ten most well-rested occupations. Hmmm, not sure about that, but let's go with it. ;). Today, can you name the top occupation for those in which people are considered well-rested and the occupation that is labeled least well-rested? Retiree does not count!

Cynthia, who may need to take up a new line of work.

Comments (22)

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I am also well rested today as was in bed before midnight so got my eight hours plus a little.

Will give this some thought while working outside. Haven't seen many weeds yet. Hyacinths and a few early daffodils are blooming.

Yesterday I potted up some snapdragons to put on my deck.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

A couple of my daffs are about to pop. The little mini daffs next door are in full sway - I might have to think about those this fall!

I'm not sure what would be a well-rested profession - also not sure why they would consider teachers well-rested - the summer off maybe?

My first guess will be mattress tester.

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

After giving this some though I'm going with shift workers as least well-rested and people who only work in the daylight hours as the most well-rested. Many professions fit into these two categories.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I think medical residents and interns are the least well rested due to the long hours they work.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haven't gotten outside yet. Decided to do some laundry and cleaning. A walk in the woods rather than weeding sounds good. When I weed, I notice so many things that need doing, not the least of which is trees that need work. Sigh.

It is interesting because my information comes from the Huffington Post-To highlight those fields where workers are the most tired, mattress company Sleepy's analyzed a set of data from the CDC's National Health Interview Survey (NHIS), and ranked occupations based on whether or not workers were getting enough shut-eye. (The average adult needs seven to nine hours a night, according to the National Sleep Foundation.).

Bobbie, you are sort of in the right field for most sleep-deprived. These workers are so needed and yet often overlooked and taken for granted.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Oh, that makes me think nurses.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Well, I'm, at loose ends right now - our systems crashed!! I hope no one needs their cable fixed - course, this means people will just be grumpier later because they had to wait longer. Sigh.

I'm wondering about 9-5 office workers, but that is probably too broad a reference. I will agree with Bobbie about medical workers, maybe ER staff?

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Staying close to home today. You might want to think closer to home, too.

I tried removing a dead limb from the oak overhanging our deck. The tree makes us feel like we are in a tree house. Sadly, they don't seem to make a saw that I can work! ;). Paul Bunyan I am not!

9 years ago

Mmmmm, workers in forestry industry comes to mind, hot or cold?

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Careful, Annette, you could start a forest fire (and no, fire fighters-forest or otherwise-is not the answer).

Cynthia

• thinman
    9 years ago

I'm kind of late to the party today. Being as how our old computer ran Windows XP, we got a new computer, which seems to be great so far. But, it is taking a lot of fiddling around to get important files and programs transferred over. Yada, yada, yada, that's why I'm late.

You know who I've always thought had a cushy soft job and an easy schedule? Golf pros. Roll out of bed at 8 or 9 and mosey over to the club. Teach a few lessons, have a leisurely lunch, a few more lessons, maybe a round with the local fat cats, then go home and sleep like a baby.

They have nothing to do with trees, unlike my style of golf, so that's probably not the answer, but it's a pretty good guess, don't you think? :-)

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, I definitely agree with you, TM! Apparently, Sleepy's mattresses don't agree with us.

I wonder if the best sleepers are those who expend a lot of physical energy in their jobs. Of course, that doesn't fit for second and third most rested-hairdressers and sales reps. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to this list. There are few commonalities in the jobs.

I am starting to think this may be the worst question ever.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I'm thinking that mothers are the worst at getting enough sleep. That's if mothering is considered a job.

Best maybe lumberjacks, work hard and associated with forests.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bobbie, for worst, you may be sort of close if we stretch a little...or a lot. Not so much newborns...

Best, I suspect others may (should follow your lead). You are very good at combining clues even when the questions stink! :)

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Would a calendar be involved in any of this?

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Worst--nanny, sorta like a mother but an acknowledged occupation.

9 years ago

Least well-rested....Home care worker?

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yikes! I have no idea how teachers make the well-rested list. ;)

So sorry I didn't get back yesterday. What a terrible question this was-so many possibilities and I am not sure this source was the best.

Anyway, the most-well-rested job is that of a lumberjack or forest worker. Guess being out in nature relaxes them. I do know that working outside or hiking or whatever in the forests is calming and soothing to me, so I suppose that may have something to do with it, especially when combined with the energy expended in that job.

The least-well-rested is the home health care worker. That makes sense, too. It is such a demanding job and pays so little. Often, little respect is given to them as well. My mother needed live-in help after her stroke. She was never the easiest to get along with, but boy, was she awful to her caregivers! They had a thankless job. Thank goodness for my dad who was ever so nice to them-well and me too on weekends and vacations! :)

So, considering all your thoughtful ideas, stars for all of you. ****
    Annette got the home care workers and Bobbie the lumberjacks.

Have a delightful week all.

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Huffpost

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Love it - too funny. don't know why I was thinking firemen - guess from someone's post.

Thanks Cyn.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Makes sense to me. Being a lumberjack is a pretty physical job and it sure would make me tired at night. If I lived, that is. I used to cut a lot of firewood back in the day, and enjoyed it, but my back would complain after a while.

IMO, this was NOT a terrible question at all. Sure, there were lots of possibilities, but there was still a reasonable chance that someone would guess it. Your hints were good, too, we now see. :-)

Thanks for the fun. I'm looking forward to what you come up with next week.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

TM, you are always so kind! By the way, your seeds are going in the ground this weekend! So fun.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I think Annette got both the best and worst. Her comment on workers in the forestry industry and your clues led me to lumberjack. Thanks for the stars and fun. Enjoyed puzzling over and trying to put the clues together for home health care worker. Sometimes my mind just doesn't see the connections that are there.

Huffington Post freezes our Ipad so I wasn't able to read the rest of the story. Have a good idea what is on the list.

Can't think how they can say teaching isn't stressful and we all know the many functions that teachers attend in addition to classroom work.

I think gardeners should be on the list of well rested. After a working in my gardens this weel I have been ready for a good nights sleep and fell asleep before I had time to think about the next day's work.

Went to our Farmers Market preview today. Came home with walnut wheat bread, cherry creamed honey, free range eggs, free range, no antibiotic beef and pork. Nice to see my vender friends again. Good thing it was indoors as had to use the umbrella and walk through puddles in the parking lot from the pouring rain.

Severe weather is forecast but it has stopped raining and is the sky is lightening up. If tornadic winds don't blow us away I will be back on Saturday.

Sponsored