Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

Good morning all! We seem to have made through the rain and heat of last week and are now back to perfect Spring weather with nighttime temps around 50 (perfect for sleeping with the windows open now that the rain seems to have washed all the oak pollen away) and daytime temps in the 70s. Yesterday, I potted up several containers. May make a nursery run today for more plants to do the rest. One new thing I did this year was add small conifers to several pots. I love the look and they can go into the ground come fall! Got that tip from a workshop two weeks ago.

So on to trivia.

Just when I begin to think that we are well on our way to destroying so much that is wonderful on this planet, I come across news of a successful reintroduction program that seems to be saving a species from extinction. Today, you are looking to identify the world's largest waterfowl.

I will be back with clues and stories to help you if necessary.

Cynthia

Comments (20)

• thinman
    9 years ago

Good morning to you, Cynthia. I know the answer definitely is not Canada geese. They are all over the place around here, which is fun, and so is their poo, which is not. Yuck.

Clues and stories sound like fun. I'll be back.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, TM, you are right. We have them all around here, too. In PA., as a teen, I was going up a friend's driveway once. She lived across from a big pond (called Dove Lake-delusions of grandeur for that body of water) and the driveway was filled with geese. They are quite intimidating when you are on foot and they consider you an intruder. Ugh. The poo is so yucky and there is always so much of it! The country club was able to keep them off the golf course and away from their lake with a neat little trick.

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

I think I know what you're looking for, we live very close to the Nanaimo River Estuary, these magnificent birds winter here. Someone I knew a few years back had a pair they nested on a little island in the middle of a pond on his property, so beautiful.
    On the other hand geese are here to stay, they don't migrate any more. They're causing a big problem on the golf courses and grassy playing fields.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Listening to Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me on the radio. Carl Kasell's last day. They were just talking about King Carl of Sweden. Funny how our brains work. Kasell plus Sweden got me thinking about fairy tales and Denmark. Weird.

Yes, Annette, these water fowl were abundant when Lewis and Clark passed through Montana's Blackfoot River Vally in 1806. In 100 years, they were extinct in that valley and almost wiped out in most of its range (Wisconsin to the Pacific Northwest) in the lower 48.

Cynthia

• thinman
    9 years ago

I am thinking of what I think is the answer. We have the more common variety around here, and they are beautiful.

I'm hoping for a TA - DA moment any time now.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Did anyone watch the Preakness yesterday? So fun to think we could have a triple crown winner this year. California Chrome didn't even have to stretch out his neck to win-he was leading pretty well. Not sure he can win in the longer Belmont since it seems others were catching him in those first two legs of the crown, but maybe he just didn't need to turn on the speed. We'll see.

Time to get out in the yard. I wonder if the neighbors will mind if I blast Miles Davis out a window. Probably not a good idea. Maybe Chris Botti is a better choice.

Be back in a bit. Ta-da, TM! ;)

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Though I am interested in and watch birds I know few waterfowl. When we went to Texas a few winters ago we visited sanctuaries filled with them.

There are two birds in my thoughts. One weighs heavy on my mind while the other one brings thoughts of courtship and may more likely fit the Montana reference.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

OK, just got here. If I am thinking the right way, yes, they are beautiful, and making a recovery in the wild here,as well. They are every bit as aggressive, if not more so, than the geese. Did you know the Queen gave Ottawa a dozen in the '60s??

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Although I must say I was originally thinking about Louis Armstrong....

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

My thoughts are different than where I think Nancy is going. Or I may be misinterpreting the music references as am weak in that area as well.

Time to go out and work in the yard while the sunshine lasts. Will prepare the beds to plant tomatoes this evening. More rain coming tomorrow. Pollen counts are high here and have me coughing and rubbing itchy eyes.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Louis Armstrong would work, Nancy!

I was thinking the other day about kids and growing up. In terms of looks, there are some who go through life beautiful always and others who grow into beauties. I thought of this because I was talking to my SBBIY DIL (should be but isn't yet daughter-in-law) about someone in my high school class who wasn't considered terribly pretty and how she grew up to be one of the most beautiful among us, at least in my opinion. Not that it matters, but I thought it was interesting.

These birds have a wingspan of almost 8'! I had no idea. They live 20-30 years in the wild and, like many birds, mate for life.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Okay, following Nancy's lead and Cynthia's last post I am on course.
    We have a few of these birds on nearby lakes. I think TM and I were thinking of the tallest waterfowl.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would love to have them here. White goes so well with everything, and decorators say you should always have a touch of black.

Cynthia

• thinman
    9 years ago

Are we all thinking trumpeter swan?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If TM is right, and I suspect he is, **** for all of you!

Yes, the Trumpeter Swan is the world's largest water fowl. I also think they are one of the most beautiful. They were hunted almost to extinction-killed for their meat and for feathers for the fashion industry. By the 1930s, fewer than 70 survived in the Lower 48. There were a few thousand in parts of Alaska and western Canada. Now, they are beginning to return to the Blackfoot River Valley after the Montana Dept of Fish, Wildlife and Parks worked with US Fish and Wildlife in 2005 to release juvenile trumpeters into the valley. Some of the cygnets are now returning to their hatching sites.

If you are plagued by Canada geese, having a pair f swans (any kind) will keep them away from your lake or pond. Clubs and colleges near where I grew up did that from time to time. One college had a pair of black swans, but some idiot killed one of them, so that ended that. Very sad.

All my info is from the National Wildlife magazine June/July edition.

Thanks for playing everyone. Have a splendid week.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here are your real stars-can't post more than one pic at a time. :(

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Thanks for the question and info, Cynthia. I tried to post my anwer earlier but could not get my post accepted by GW.

MN has increased the population of trumpeter swans from zero to several thousand over forty years. Many spend the winter here in areas where power plants keep the water from freezing and are not migrating. This has been a concern and there is encouragement as a small percentage of locally born ts are beginning to head south for the winter. The expectation is that those young ones will take their offspring south and re-establish the traditional migration patterns.

I was originally thinking of whooping cranes as remember from our visit to TX there were 2 pairs that were stars at the sanctuary and was told they are the tallest North American bird.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Tue, May 20, 14 at 11:37

• thinman
    9 years ago

Those are certainly beautiful birds. The aggressive mute swans are getting to be a problem in some parts of Michigan. They will drive off trumpeters and other waterfowl, which makes it tough to re-introduce the trumpeters. They also go after people!

Thanks for the fun and information, Cynthia.

Until next weekend,

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Interesting question, Cynthia. At a cottage as a lake near here, my friend had a swan on her dock. It acted aggressively towards herself and her young grandson - that was when she noticed the talon on the back of it's foot!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bobbie, whooping crane was my husband's thought when we were discussing the article and he was thinking tallest as well. They really are so lovely and I am glad they are making a comeback. Hope yours begin the normal migration pattern!

TM, I did not know mute swans were so aggressive. I suspect they may all be somewhat since they will keep away the geese-and Nancy's friend and her grandson! Hope the little guy wasn't too scared!

Thanks again for playing. Have a marvelous week.

Cynthia

Sponsored