Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

Good morning cottagers!

What a wonderful weekend so far. Perfect weather, quiet neighborhood. Love it. Planning to plant stuff today. :)

I am just beginning to teach my kiddoes about the civil rights era. So, today's question has to do with that.

You are looking for a name, but if you can't come up with more than, "that guy who..." You will get credit. This man is the only surviving member of the US Civil Rights Commission. He was asked to serve by President Eisenhower in 1957. He has received more than 150 honorary degrees which is a world record. Ideas?

Back in a bit with clues.

Cynthia

Comments (19)

• thinman
    9 years ago

Oh boy, that's a toughie.

Beautiful weekend here too. Sun and 70ðF - can't beat that in my book. Still too early to put in frost sensitive plants, but it's getting really close.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Wow, TM, I have everything out but my orchid and my big Christmas cactus - still haven't found the proper shady spot.
    It was so humid and hot yesterday, till the storm blew through, then it cooled down and got comfortable yesterday evening.

Wow, and is still alive...I am going to help big time with this!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The gentleman in question attended, but did not graduate from the university he would later lead as president. Andrew Young said of him, "If ------ was for you, you didn't care who was against you."

On another note, I decided that I should put in the screens today before I get all dirty in the garden. Naturally, that requires cleaning them (the windows) first. That requires tilting them in which is supposed to make cleaning oh so easy. Of course, one came out of the sash and I can't get it back in-it is slightly a-kilter. Sigh. I am just not meant for menial work! ;) Maybe a prayer would help.

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

You've got me this time, even with clues I don't think I would get this one.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

He wrote an historic letter to students and faculty about protests and the need to maintain order on campus in 1969. When the letter was published in the New York Times it gained national audience. The next year he won the Meiklejohn Award given by the American Association of University Professors acknowledging his crucial role in thwarting the Nixon's attempts to use federal troops in putting down campus protests.

Nixon, not one to harbor a grudge-haha-and not pleased with some of the findings dismissed him from the Civil Rights Commission in 1972. He had chaired that commission since 1969.

He is now 97 years old-yesterday was his birthday. Born in Syracuse-mother was named Murphy, I think. Good Irish name. He is still fighting, I hear.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Oh, gee, I think we saw him Washington National airport many years ago, just hanging out in the terminal. I am such an idiot I was trying to find duty free - my friend recognized who he was and went over and shook his hand. she said he was very gracious. I believe he has an eponymously (do they use that for people?) named son.

Nancy - who is amazed she knows this!! maybe.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Knowing you, Cynthia, I'm sure the clues are there and I will kick myself later, but no bell is ringing for me yet.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nancy, no son, but a flock. Maybe if you all can just come up with the university name, it would be okay. All this obscure stuff could drive one around the bend. ;). My trivia seems to be heading south these days. With luck, I will do better come summer vacation.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, and if he did have a son, his bosses would not have been happy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Hmmm. Sounds like the man is a priest.
    That should help.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Rats, I was thinking of a Rev.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

While I don't remember his name I do remember the letter was written by the president of Notre Dame.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I must confess, you are so close, Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

?? I don't think so....

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, four stars for Bobbie, two for TM, and one for Nancy who at least knew it was a man of the cloth! ;)

Father Theodore Hesburgh (Father Ted) of The University of Notre Dame. I am linking to the milestones of his life. He has had quite a life and made a difference in this world. He celebrated his 97th birthday on May 24th. Happy birthday to him.

Nancy, were you thinking Billy Graham?

Have a delightful week everyone. I need to start getting out in the yard every evening when I get home if I have any hope of getting ahead of the weeds. It is so embarrassing. I cleared a small spot today because we put a small Cornus kousa in and it seemed like a good idea to start on that bed. It looks so nice! All mulched. Maybe if I put on blinders to narrow my field of vision and just look at that one spot...

Thanks for playing.

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Father Ted

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Cool stars, Cyn. I was thinking Jesse Jackson. :(

Nancy - who gets no stars.

• thinman
    9 years ago

His name does ring a bell, now that I see it, but I'm afraid I never would have guessed it. Thanks for the great-looking stars. Very cool.

Good question, Cynthia. Too good for me. :-)

Have a nice short week.

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I agree, cool stars. Reminds me of a 1950s-60s car--chrome and color.

We were somewhat isolated in my area of SD. I don't remember any protests at our college. When DH opened a speech to the freshmen with "....and fellow draft dodgers" he was called into the President's office and told not to do that again. I was one of those freshmen and not dating him at the time. Many of my classmates were draft dodgers and by the end of the year were gone to the services. One I knew did not come back alive. When we visited D.C. some years ago I searched and found his name on the VN Memorial.

I graduated spring of '69 and was teaching math that fall watching the college protests on TV more aware than those days I was on campus where I rarely watched or listened to the news. The shooting of Kent State protesters was tragic and jolted the powers that be into more awareness of the misuse of force against students. The hope that the letter from the President of the prestigious Notre Dame would temper governments response was obliterated.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Good on you Cyn, you stumped me :).

Annette

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio