Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday

Well, good Saturday morning, cottagers!! It is a warm sunny day here, and promises to be a hot one later.

According to Wikipedia, dreams are successions of images, ideas, emotions, and sensations that occur involuntarily in the mind during certain stages of sleep. The content and purpose of dreams are not definitively understood, though they have been a topic of scientific speculation, as well as a subject of philosophical and religious interest, throughout recorded history. The scientific study of dreams is called oneirology.

Dreams mainly occur in the rapid-eye movement (REM) stage of sleep when brain activity is high and resembles that of being awake. REM sleep is revealed by continuous movements of the eyes during sleep. At times, dreams may occur during other stages of sleep. However, these dreams tend to be much less vivid or memorable.

So, here are some easy (perhaps?) questions:

1. Who is the Greek god of dreams?

2. What is the best known dream-world in literature?

3. Freud called dreams the "royal road to the unconscious." What did he suggest dreams represented?

4. Most dreams last:
a. about 1 hour
b. 1 to 2 minutes
c. 5 to 20 minutes

5. Five minutes after the end of a dream, most people have forgotten:
a. about 50% of their dream
b. still remember everything about their dream
c. about 90% of their dream.

There now, that should set you dreaming!! I'll be back with clues to help you divine the correct answers!!

Nancy.

Comments (18)

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I may know the answers to the last two. Will be checking in later for clues.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Hmmmm, so far I just have a couple of guesses, later.
    Heading out to our garden club plant sale, just for a look see, she says :).

Annette

• thinman
    9 years ago

Can't say that I know any of these, but I think that dreams don't actually last very long. My guess for number 4 would be c, 1 or 2 minutes.

I'm finding that lately (in my old age, I guess) I wake up with the feeling that I have been dreaming, but can't quite remember it at all. Every once in a while, I will remember what seems like a lot of it. I would easily believe that we remember only 50% of our dreams. I think I am way below that now.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, sorry - I was way too ling shopping in town!! lol. Only a few plants, but lots of good stuff.

TM, you are batting .500 right now!! I really wish knew more about Freud. It might explain a lot to me.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I think I know all!

I was out buying three rhododendrons and two azaleas to put near the neighbor's new fence. It looks fine, but I want to camouflage it as best I can. It just makes me feel closed in and I prefer to let my eye wander. The fence completely stops one's sense of openness. Oh well. It gives me the opportunity to plant more! I really should take time to plan a shrub border that will end up being spectacular rather than the hodgepodge I usually end up with here. I am trying to have the mess morph into something more pleasing and will accept any and all suggestions! At least I do understand myself and know how pathetic my skills are. The trip to the nursery in Maryland that should have taken 45 minutes took me 1.5 hours. Saw a lot of pretty woods, but I rather felt as if I had fallen down a rabbit hole with no way out.

I am leaning toward dreams lasting only a few minutes and agree with TM that we remember only about 50%. I rarely remember any of mine. Wonder what that means.

Cynthia

• thinman
    9 years ago

Would Freud have felt that dreams revolve around repressed thoughts? Or is that another school of thought? We didn't hit Freud too hard in Ed. Psych. Now Skinner ...

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lol TM. Freud started out on one track and ended up in a slightly less risky assessment of the nature of dreams. Cynthia most likely dreams of her neighbours homes and yards dissolving into acres of orchards and flowering shrubs. I'd like that myself, actually. And a nice nook for tea parties!!
    When I had my knee surgery, several years ago, I wrote in a blog that I craved to fall into the arms of Morpheus. Several friends worried, incorrectly, that I was becoming addicted to my pain meds. Hmmm....

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Absolutely, Nancy! That would be a lovely dream! It is not that I dislike people, just that I prefer not to have them quite so close all the time. :) all of you, however, are welcome to join me in that little nook for tea parties any time!

Cynthia

9 years ago

I only have two guesses
    4. C
    5. A

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Actually TM, you were 100% on your guesses. Annette you are 50%. Cynthia seems to have 2 and 3 to hand - anybody else?

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

I had thought of Morpheus as being the god of sleep, but I don't know if dreams were part of his coverage.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Good morning!

Here are my final answers based on clues, others' answers, and my own thoughts:

1. Morpheus
    2. Alice in Wonderland
    3. Freud thought dreams were the method by which our unconscious mind could address/ deal with/ work on issues or act as a way to fulfill wishes (briefly! Ha)
    4. C
    5. A

4and 5 are thanks to TM. I would not have picked those originally (I was thinking 1-2 minutes and forgetting 90% which is more what I do, I think)

I have no idea what dreams I had last night or any night in the past month. I think I remember a couple dreams a year, but then forget them within a very short time once I am up and awake. :(

Cynthia

9 years ago

2. Of course, Alice in Wonderland, thanks Cyn :).

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ahh, there we all are. Time for the reveal!!

1. Morpheus is a god of dreams who appears in Ovid's Metamorphoses. Morpheus has the ability to take any human form and appear in dreams. His true semblance is that of a winged daemon, imagery shared with many of his siblings. Starting in the medieval period, the name Morpheus began to stand generally for the god of dreams or of sleep.

2. Wonderland, of course, as in Alice in or Through the Looking Glass. Said the Cheshire cat, as she slowly dissolved.

3 . Sigmund Freud developed a theory that the content of dreams is driven by unconscious wish fulfillment. Freud called dreams the "royal road to the unconscious." He theorized that the content of dreams reflects the dreamer's unconscious mind and specifically that dream content is shaped by unconscious wish fulfillment. He argued that important unconscious desires often relate to early childhood memories and experiences. Freud's theory describes dreams as having both manifest and latent content. Latent content relates to deep unconscious wishes or fantasies while manifest content is superficial and meaningless. Manifest content often masks or obscures latent content.
    In his early work, Freud argued that the vast majority of latent dream content is sexual in nature, but he later moved away from this categorical position. In Beyond the Pleasure Principle he considered how trauma or aggression could influence dream content. He also discussed supernatural origins in Dreams and Occultism, a lecture published in New Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis.

I was going for unconscious wishes or desires.

4. c. Most dreams last anywhere from five to 20 minutes.
    People don't only dream in black and white, as was once believed - it is believed this had more to do with watching Black & White television. Even though they may not remember them, everyone dreams several times a night. In fact, during a typical lifetime, we spend about six years dreaming. People who have been blind from birth have dreams that are formed from their other senses (e.g., touch, smell, sound).
    When people are snoring, they're not dreaming - I can attest to that!!

5. a. It is said that five minutes after the end of a dream, we have forgotten 50 percent of the dream's content. Ten minutes later, we've forgotten 90 percent of its content. Why is that? We don't forget our daily actions that quickly. The fact that they are so hard to remember makes their importance seem less.

So as you can probably guess, I didn't sleep well on Saturday night!! I got thinking about dreams and sleep.

So, for Cynthia:

For TM:

For Annette:

Bobbie, you didn't chime back, that I saw??

Thanks to all for playing - see you next week!!

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annette - I owe you another star!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Sorry I didn't get back. Went out of town and our motel did not have wi-fi or room internet connection.

9 years ago

Hmmm, didn't do very well on this one but at least I didn't get stumped :).

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Two of mine were based on TM's and Annette's answers for 4 and 5, so I should probably hand over a couple of stars!

Cynthia

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm