Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weekend Trivia - Saturday

Posted by thinman Z5 MI (My Page) on
Sun, May 8, 11 at 9:21

Gorgeous weekend here. Hope yours is the same.

Your trivia question: Taxi cabs are sometimes called hacks. Where did the word hack come from?

TM

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weekend Trivia - Sunday

Oops, I meant Sunday.

o
RE: Weekend Trivia - Saturday

Shades of Sherlock Holmes.....I'll take a stab at it, hack comes from hackney a horse especially bred for pulling carriages or, if not the horse hackney carriage a horse driven carriage used for hire.

Annette

o

Yep, I agree with Annette!

Happy mother's day everyone-and to your wife, TM!

o

Sounds good to me, and ditto Mom's Day!

o

Yes, I'm with Annette. Now, what is 'cab' short for??

Nancy.

o

Mmmmmmm, another name for a horse drawn vehicle, cabbie would be the driver?

Annette

o

I may be wrong, but I think that hackney refers to the rig, or harness of the horse. Think of hackneyed prose, or a hack writer.

Yes, Annette, another name for a horse-drawn carriage, but cabbie comes out of cab, the short form. Not sure where taxi came from, though...anyone??

Nancy.

o

Hack comes from hackney, which, like a lot of old words, has different meanings and different thoughts about its origin.

From Wikipedia: The name 'hackney' was once thought to be an anglicized derivative of French haquene a horse of medium size recommended for lady riders; however, current opinion is that it is derived from the village name Hackney (now part of London).

The growler was a type of four-wheel, enclosed carriage drawn by two horses used as a hackney carriage, that is as a vehicle for hire with a coachman. It is distinguished from a cab, hansom cab or cabriolet, in that those had only two wheels.

From Merriam-Webster:

hackney-
1 a : a horse suitable for ordinary riding or driving
b : a trotting horse used chiefly for driving
c often capitalized: any of an English breed of rather compact usually chestnut, bay, or brown high-stepping horses
2 obsolete : one that works for hire
3 a carriage or automobile kept for hire

The word taxi came from the taximeter, the device that calculates the fare. It was invented by German Wilhelm Bruhn in 1891.

Is that more than you needed to know?

for Annette, Cynthia, Calamity J, and Nancy.

Thanks for playing this weekend.

TM

o

Never more than I needed to know!! Love it - thanks TM.

Nancy.

o

Ha Nancy-you took the words right out of my mouth-really...the exact words I was thinking before I scrolled down to see your response.

Won't repeat any except the last. Thanks TM!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here