Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning all.

I am sorry to be so late today. I actually slept in until 7:30, but even if I had arisen early, I would not have had a question for you. Last week was far from contemplative for me! Of course, we were testing all week at school, so no down time at all. Then my afternoons/evenings were consumed by a search for a replacement car. Happily, John found me several. The first two turned out not to be so wonderful, but the one we looked at last night was a winner for me. I now have a 2008 xc70 Volvo parked in the garage. I had Volvo wagons before my Audi, so it is like an old friend...very familiar. I will be so glad to be able to return the rental early and have this all behind me-except for the payments...ugh. I may even introduce it to its job of hauling plants this weekend! John has already said he wants to take it to the NC or Jersey shore (our two favorite beach spots) with the dogs in the back! Unless he takes me too, that won't happen!

So since I had not thought of any question, I sort of cheated and went to "Google a Day" for you today. I hope you don't mind too terribly much. The question is found is this:

The world's youngest ocean has tides that were first recorded in 600 A.D. by men of what profession?

Sort of a two-parter since you do need to know the ocean and the profession, but I expect the ocean will be easy if you have been paying attention! ;)

Cynthia

Comments (19)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Mornin' Cyn, everyone, Got an answer for the first part of the question but not the second, if you gave a clue for this I didn't catch it. It's a gorgeous day today so I'm headed out to the garden, be back later.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I was all set to go to the nursery, but then volunteered to have the Wild One here for a few hours to give all the pups a chance to play and wear themselves out.

I am considering what to buy when I do go. I suspect I will mostly buy annuals for the pots. Last year, I had plumbago and it was spectacular. Love that color! Have thought of trying Aconitum even though it is a perennial, but I would worry about one of the pups taking a taste. Still the color and spikes would look great, don't youy think?

Off to clean a little. Very warm out today and supposed to hit 90 F tomorrow (that's 32 c for you northerners!).

Cynthia

• thinman
    11 years ago

You're not late, Cynthia, I'm late. I'm taking a lunch break from putting in zinnia plants, three hundred so far and another two hundred to go. Then statice, cosmos, strawflowers, amaranth, and lots more. We should be past our last frost now, so the push is on to get everything in as soon as I can. Can't sell 'em of you don't grow 'em. Luckily, it's sunny, dry, and in the low 70s, and there is a cardinal singing his heart out. It's not what you would call tough duty.

Ocean-wise, I think you are hinting us toward the one listed first in the name of the old tea company that turned into a grocery chain. As for a profession, I'm thinking of maybe fishermen or other mariners, but those are probably too obvious. How about astronomers? I think they are the ones responsible for calculating tides tables.

And don't even think about apologizing for getting the question from Google. All's fair in love, war, and feeding the weekly trivia machine.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

TM, I can't wait to see the pictures of your selling/cutting garden this year. I am so impressed with all you do and how beautiful your bouquets alway are!

You are really so clever with clues, TM, although you may not realize it. I would suggest you and Annette reread your post, then my previous ones and look for a connection, maybe. Oh, and do you use Latin or common names? That might help, too! Although Latin might be a clue also-ha.

Enjoy the gardening you two!

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

I got the ocean from your first posting clue, cynthia, but am still thinking about who recorded the tides. Thoughts are running along the same lines as TM but no idea which way to go.

If I am missing obvious clues I will blame it on drugs (though I can be a bit slow on the uptake). I'm not quite at the three week recovery rate from total knee replacement of my right knee and have tapered the narcotics to only twice a day before exercises though that still leaves me a bit foggy and sleepy for eight hours.

TM, your day of planting sounds wonderful. Earlier in the week I supervised the planting of my eight heirloom tomatoes which gave me a chance to do a bit of troweling before each tomato was put in the ground. DH and a lovely neighbor girl did most of the work.

11 years ago

Hmmmmm, if I'm right Nancy's closer to this body of water then I am. Latin you say, scholars of some kind maybe men of the cloth?

Annette who has just finished lunch and is heading back outside.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

I'm going to go with Annette's lead that in 600 AD most of the people who could read and write were monks so it makes sense that monks recorded the tides of the Atlantic Ocean.

I used plumbago some years ago in large pots and it is a beautiful blue. Can't always find it in our area and it is quite expensive. Will go to the nursery tomorrow to look for tall plants for my matching pots in the back.

• thinman
    11 years ago

I've been pondering and trying to sift for clues. First I thought about plumbago, which reminded me of plumbum, which is lead and made me think of the plumbers of old who used to work with lead pipes. Pipes carry water, but that's the only connection I could get, and why would plumbers record tidal data? Nope, can't be.

How about aconitum? I'm pretty sure that is monkshood, and monks used to record stuff way back then. Maybe they got interested in tides in 600 AD, sharpened up their quills, doffed their robes and made every day a beach day. Worse things could happen. Annette thought of men of the cloth, and I think she has it.

Glad you got some new wheels, Cynthia. We have had a couple of Volvo wagons too, back in the day, and were happy with them, though they weren't cheap to get fixed either. Luckily, not much went wrong with them and it was a lot easier for a backyard mechanic (me) to work on them than today's cars.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The hour of vespers has come and gone. Were I a prayful sort, I suppose I would have finished with compline as well. I think I will retire.

See you all tomorrow. I am thinking more clues are not needed. I thought Aconitum would give it away. ;)

Cynthia

• thinman
    11 years ago

It looks like I was typing at the same time Bobbie was. It's nice that she agrees too.

TM

11 years ago

Shoot looks like I'm too late, I was out in the garden taking a couple of pictures, as I went past my Aconitum the lightbulb finally came on LOL.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

lol. Sorry I missed trivia yesterday - it was the Great Glebe Garage Sale in Ottawa, and I spent the day garage saling, and then much later, sitting on a patio with friends. Didn't get home till much later last night. Whew, tired, but soooo much fun!! Well, the question has been answered, and I'm not sure that I would have gotten it - oh, I long for the days when I have my Saturdays free from office work!! Bobbie, glad to hear your surgery went well!! So hard to know what to expect, isn't it? I was 5 weeks till I got off the meds, but luckily had no problem doing that. Acquaintances were worried, but I don't like that way those drugs (or any, for that matter) make me feel. Glad you are on the mend. It's been a year and a half for me, and aside from taking some Aleve, I can do pretty much anything I put my mind to!! And isn't that the reason we went for surgery!!

Nancy - who is off to post her question.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

**** for Annette, Bobbie, and TM! Yes, the most recent ocean to form is the Atlantic Ocean (lots of folks headed there for our long weekend) and it was the monks on the English coastline who first recorded the tides in 600 AD.

Thanks for playing everyone. For those of us in the US, we will be observing Memorial Day which is actually on May 30th. It used to be called Decoration Day because the graves of fallen Union soldiers were decorated with flowers. Here is a short history:

By proclamation of General John A. Logan of the Grand Army of the Republic, the first major Memorial Day observance is held to honor those who died "in defense of their country during the late rebellion." Known to some as "Decoration Day," mourners honored the Civil War dead by decorating their graves with flowers. On the first Decoration Day, General James Garfield made a speech at Arlington National Cemetery, after which 5,000 participants helped to decorate the graves of the more than 20,000 Union and Confederate soldiers buried in the cemetery.

The 1868 celebration was inspired by local observances that had taken place in various locations in the three years since the end of the Civil War. In fact, several cities claim to be the birthplace of Memorial Day, including Columbus, Mississippi; Macon, Georgia; Richmond, Virginia; Boalsburg, Pennsylvania; and Carbondale, Illinois. In 1966, the federal government, under the direction of President Lyndon B. Johnson, declared Waterloo, New York, the official birthplace of Memorial Day. They chose Waterloo--which had first celebrated the day on May 5, 1866--because the town had made Memorial Day an annual, community-wide event, during which businesses closed and residents decorated the graves of soldiers with flowers and flags.

By the late 19th century, many communities across the country had begun to celebrate Memorial Day, and after World War I, observers began to honor the dead of all of America's wars. In 1971, Congress declared Memorial Day a national holiday to be celebrated the last Monday in May. Today, Memorial Day is celebrated at Arlington National Cemetery with a ceremony in which a small American flag is placed on each grave. It is customary for the president or vice president to give a speech honoring the contributions of the dead and to lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. More than 5,000 people attend the ceremony annually.

Chuck always spends this Sunday at the Pentagon with the thousands of Rolling Thunder riders. He doesn't ride a motorcycle, but since this started with the Viet Nam vets and he was there, he always goes and talks to them and takes pictures while they are waiting to start the ride into DC and around the Federal City (across Memorial Bridge to the Lincoln Memorial, down Independence Avenue to the Capitol, back down Constitution Avenue past the White House and back to Lincoln where the Viet Nam Memorial is located.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone. I only have 14 days of school left!

Cynthia

• thinman
    11 years ago

Thanks for the stars, Cynthia. I would not have got this right without your good hints. I never knew about the Atlantic being the youngest ocean, but it makes sense with continental drift moving us west, away from Africa and Europe.

Good info and a fun question.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

TM, Chuck was aghast that I even asked about the youngest ocean! "It's all one ocean. That doesn't make sense." So, perhaps that part was not fair. He wouldn't even try to answer the rest of the question. Bah.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, Bobbie, I hope you check back today! I am so sorry. I meant to tell you I am glad the healing is coming along. Also glad you had help with planting. I used to have a quotation on the refrigerator: The best way to get pleasure from a garden is to put on a wide-brimmed hat, have a glass of something cool in your hand, and tell the man where to dig. Of course, it is the digging and such that I love, so it really doesn't apply and I imagine you can't wait to get back out there, but that little saying always makes me smile.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Thanks for your good thoughts, Cynthia. I am doing "very well" according to my physical therapist and other health care workers. I am a bit surprised every morning when I get up that my knee isn't normal but it will get there in time.

Like you, I am a digger and expanded two beds before the surgery. The planting will have to wait until later. While I have good friends and neighbors and DH to help I want to do it myself, the layout and repositioning is a big part of my creating new plantings.

Thanks for the stars and interesting question. I had no idea that the Atlantic was the youngest ocean and completely missed the actionium/monkshoods reference as seldom think of plants common names. My gardening mentor only referred to the biological names and that is what first comes to mind though I had to also learn the common names to converse with my more casual gardening friends. Shouldn't have missed it.

11 years ago

Bobbie, best wishes for a speedy recovery from me too, that kind of surgery is not fun. It's great you have lots of help but I know what you mean when you say you want to do it yourself.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Thanks, Annette. I am looking forward to the dry sunny week ahead to plant beans and cucks.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm