Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

thinman
12 years ago

All right! If you're all so darn smart, tell me where on a violin you would find the nut.

{{gwi:603043}}

ThinMan

Comments (11)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Hmmm...wouldn't you rather know about the gall bladder? I looked it up and learned some interestting stuff!

Annette, hope you are feeling better today. Wrote a note on yesterday's trivia post to you since I didn't get back last evening.

I don't know this one, so I will check in later for clues.

Cynthia

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

At the top of the fingerboard or at the very bottom of the fiddle (oops, violin) at the end of the tail piece.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Hmmmmmmm, this one I'm not sure of, I'll hang around looking for clues.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Hmmmm.....a numbers game, I thinking. I was thinking there were several - only one, TM?

Nancy.

• thinman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know there is only one on a guitar, and to the best of my knowledge, there is only one thing on a violin that's commonly referred to as the nut. I ain't no expert though.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

I guess I thought that the tuning keys were called nuts. Therefore, I will say at the bottom, where what appears to be the continuation of the fret board ends. Just a guess, though.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Okay, no idea on this one, but can't wait to find out! good one, TM!

• lorna-organic
    12 years ago

Is the nut the person playing the violin? :-) I took violin lessons as a kid, but don't recall what the nut might be.

• frogview00
    12 years ago

isn't the nut the part where the strings attach to the body of the violin? Or is that the frog? hmmmm?

• thinman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The nut is the piece at the top of the fingerboard that has grooves in it to hold the strings in place.

{{gwi:603045}}

I don't know why it's called a nut.

Schoolhouse totally got this. I didn't know there was a nut at the opposite end of the strings on the tailpiece, but she sounded pretty sure of herself. Is that really called a nut down there, Schoolhouse?

for Schoolhouse.

Nancy, I couldn't quite figure out where you were saying.

Lorna, I think you're right in some cases. Funny.

Thanks for playing trivia with me. We had five of you today. Woo woo!

TM

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Yep, at least that's what we fiddle players have always called it. It's a small piece of ebony wood (usually)where the tail piece attaches to the fiddle. If you look at your photo of the violin, you can just make it out.

In fact, early on I played an old fiddle for a long time until someone told me "Why, you don't have a top or bottom nut on there!" I was so embarrassed. Yet, after I rigged up the fiddle correctly, it lost it's original old-timey sound. :)