Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Posted by thinman Z5 MI (My Page) on
Sun, May 22, 11 at 9:40

All right! If you're all so darn smart, tell me where on a violin you would find the nut.

ThinMan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Hmmm...wouldn't you rather know about the gall bladder? I looked it up and learned some interestting stuff!

Annette, hope you are feeling better today. Wrote a note on yesterday's trivia post to you since I didn't get back last evening.

I don't know this one, so I will check in later for clues.

Cynthia

o

At the top of the fingerboard or at the very bottom of the fiddle (oops, violin) at the end of the tail piece.

o

Hmmmmmmm, this one I'm not sure of, I'll hang around looking for clues.

Annette

o

Hmmmm.....a numbers game, I thinking. I was thinking there were several - only one, TM?

Nancy.

o

I know there is only one on a guitar, and to the best of my knowledge, there is only one thing on a violin that's commonly referred to as the nut. I ain't no expert though.

TM

o

I guess I thought that the tuning keys were called nuts. Therefore, I will say at the bottom, where what appears to be the continuation of the fret board ends. Just a guess, though.

Nancy.

o

Okay, no idea on this one, but can't wait to find out! good one, TM!

o

Is the nut the person playing the violin? :-) I took violin lessons as a kid, but don't recall what the nut might be.

o

isn't the nut the part where the strings attach to the body of the violin? Or is that the frog? hmmmm?

o

The nut is the piece at the top of the fingerboard that has grooves in it to hold the strings in place.

I don't know why it's called a nut.

Schoolhouse totally got this. I didn't know there was a nut at the opposite end of the strings on the tailpiece, but she sounded pretty sure of herself. Is that really called a nut down there, Schoolhouse?

for Schoolhouse.

Nancy, I couldn't quite figure out where you were saying.

Lorna, I think you're right in some cases. Funny.

Thanks for playing trivia with me. We had five of you today. Woo woo!

TM

o

Yep, at least that's what we fiddle players have always called it. It's a small piece of ebony wood (usually)where the tail piece attaches to the fiddle. If you look at your photo of the violin, you can just make it out.

In fact, early on I played an old fiddle for a long time until someone told me "Why, you don't have a top or bottom nut on there!" I was so embarrassed. Yet, after I rigged up the fiddle correctly, it lost it's original old-timey sound. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here