Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

thinman
10 years ago

Good day, dear cottagers. I hope yours is as pretty as mine - a beautiful spring Sunday. I can hardly wait to get outdoors and do some more garden work. This afternoon I have to/get to attend a family function at my sister's home. Her last name is Collier, which brings me to today's trivia question.

A lot of our last names came from occupations. Some are pretty obvious, like Tanner, Sawyer, and Miller. Collier is not as obvious, although the English name of the product associated with the occupation of collier is clearly related to the word collier.

Here are five last names. See if you can come up with the product or occupation associated with each one.

Bauer
Cooper
Collier
Fletcher
Webster

I'll check back with hints, if it looks like any are needed.

TM

Comments (14)

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Good morning all,
    Yet another rainy cool morning. (sigh)
    I'm happy for the rain, but would like to get more done outside. Inside too, for that matter lol.
    My house looks like romper room exploded. The outside looks chaotic, to put it mildly. I'm not worried. It will all get done, or not done. Why stress.
    As for the game :)...
    I haven't a clue lol. Well I do have a clue, but my mind is still foggy.
    I do know someone named Bauer, and He is a brain surgeon.
    Webster reminds me of dictionaries.
    That's all I got.
    :) Laura

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Mornin' all, looks like it's going to be another nice day here so I'll be working in my garden.
    I'm pretty sure I know a couple of these, Cooper and Webster, where I live was a coal mining town in the past I have a pretty good idea of a third :).

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I also know Cooper. Annette's coal comment rang a bell...maybe from an old book I read in school? Can't imagine any other reason why I am making the connection and I certainly may be wrong.

I do know my family surname indicated where we lived-top of the hill-bufan dune. Of course, that was before the Norman Invasion and investigators in the family say we came to England then, so I probably know as much about all that as I do about your names, TM. ;)

Will be looking for clues when you are taking breaks from gardening. I am heading out now, too.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Ha, ha. Since my last name is Cooper I know that one. We visited a fishery museum in Scotland that showed a cooper plying his trade.

Need clues for the others.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Bobbie, was he shooting those fish? :)

Hey, TM, so far, I still have only two. I am beat and planning to go to bed early. Will try to stop back to see if there are any clues, but without them, I am out of luck.

Fun question, though! I feel as though I should know them all, but that is so not the case.

Cynthia

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry friends, the family do went longer than I thought and I just got back.

It sounds like Cooper and Collier are known to you, but if not, a barrel of coal should just about cover them both.

Bauer is a tough one. It seems to have come from a couple of German words denoting a neighbor, or one who cultivates.

Fletcher has to do with a skill that a certain William or Robin relied heavily upon in their time.

Webster is fairly guessable. Think spiders, but not spinning.

Do these help?

TM

10 years ago

Fletcher... arrows???

Annette who is still stuck on Bauer :(.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annette - Think of someone who cultivates - by the acre.

:)

TM

10 years ago

Ahhhhh, perhaps a farmer :).

Annette

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

In retrospect, I think I would have left out the name Bauer, as it isn't really guessable and the etymology of it seems pretty shaky. According to the first two sources I looked at, Bauer means farmer. Other sources, I found out later, have other ideas.

As for the rest,
    Cooper = barrel maker
    Collier = coal miner, or a boat that carries coal.
    Fletcher = arrow maker
    To this day, the feathers on an arrow are called fletching.
    Webster = weaver

So, stars ... ?
    What the heck, here are four stars. Take as many as you want. :)

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I'll take two stars as got two right. Close on the others but not quite right.
    Had fun looking them up after I posted my answer.

Thanks, TM, for a question that brought back memories of good times.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Yep, I will take two also, for collier and cooper. Should have remembered fletcher!

That was fun. Now, I will be researching other names, too.

Thanks TM. Have a wonderful week!

Cynthia

• auntyara
    10 years ago

no stars for me :( lol
    It's always fun to learn
    thanks for the fun!
    :) Laura

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Sorry I missed all of the fun. We had visitors, and that ate up my conscious hours! Webster for weaver - interesting!!

Nancy.