Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Well, I didn't get back last night, and I see Cyn hasn't posted her answer yet....hmmmm. Still in the dark!

Simple question today - who was Maynard G. Krebs?? Huh??

Nancy.

Comments (9)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Well, not too familiar with MGK for reasons I'll explain later but I'm pretty sure I know him as someone else, does that make any sense Nancy :).

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes it does!! Annette - you may have to help with clues!! I'm off on an adventure, and had planned to post earlier, but I'm not that smart in the am!! Oh well, Dobie-doobie-do, I'm going on a short trip!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I used to watch that show! Also watched the other. My former instructional assistant used to call me Skipper every time she made a mess of copying or some other mundane task (she was brilliant with the kids, though) and gave herself the name of the star. We were quite the pair, but I often thought we were both more the bumbler than anyone else!

Have to write an educational report again this weekend, but am coughing and sneezing and beset by a full-blown cold. Not The (sharp) Thinker today. I will get to the answers for yesterday now.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

I vaguely remember his first series and didn't miss an episode of the second. Probably the first theme song that I learned. Still lots to do and only three hours to get everything done before the rains start again. We've had rain 21 of the last 24 days. Enough! From drought to flood warnings.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Yep, I know this guy. I used to play the bongos myself, though I don't think he was the reason.

Gotta go, Daddy-O.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, I knew it was easy, but I didn't think it was that easy.

{{gwi:603069}}

Well, he was the coolest!! The G. was silent, and it stood for Walter. He was named for his Aunt!! lol. Always loved that. Shaggy from Scooby-Doo was modeled after Krebs.

The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis starred Dwayne Hickman, but do you remember that it also starred Warren Beatty and Tuesday Weld?? Bet you didn't!! Maynard's abhorrence of conventional social forms was signified by comical reactions to three words: "work", "marriage", and "police". For example, whenever the word "work" was mentioned, even in passing, he would yelp "Work?!" and jump with fear or even faint. He served as a foil to the well-groomed, well-dressed, straitlaced Dobie, and the contrast between the two friends provided much of the humor of the series.
    Denver later moved to the beloved Gilligan's Island. He was the comic foil, a bumbling but well-meaning fellow. In Rescue from Gilligan's Island, the returning castaways' names are announced. The writers, heightening the folklore surrounding Gilligan, omitted the first mate's name despite providing the names of the others.

In the end of A Very Brady Sequel, a movie based on the Brady Bunch characters also created by Sherwood Schwartz, Carol Brady reveals that her first husband was a professor lost on a boat. Dr. Whitehead (played by John Hillerman) says "and my son Gilligan was first mate on that boat."

So there you go. Maynard G. Krebs - that guy got around!!

Thanks for playing. Hope I gave you some happy memories. I didn't want to leave you guys hanging, but what a day I've had!! I'll tell you all about it later! Sorry it was such an easy one, next week you don't get off so easy!! lol.

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Thanks, Nancy, for the fun question and info. Being able to answer this question made me feel sort of smart (and old). I guess we are mostly in same boat in that respect, judging by our responses.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol. Wisdom of the ages, or aged!! I forgot to award stars!!

For everyone. Have a wonderful week.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Thanks for the stars! I loved Maynard, but didn't remember that bit about his middle name or that he was named after his aunt! Did remember Tuesday Weld and Warren once you mentioned it, but wouldn't have thought of it independently. Loved that Shaggy was modeled on him-that was new to me, too! Love that picture of him-so young-wow-and cute then too although I didn't think so at the time. Remember Zelda? WOnder what ever became of her...or do you know that as well??? :)

Great trip down memory lane, Nancy. Thanks again.

Cynthia