Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

{{gwi:603304}}

OK, today's the day!! I`m going to put some seeds in at my allotment garden!! Very exciting. I was planning on doing this much earlier, as it will be hot today, Mad Dogs and Englishmen and all that. I have lots of seeds from my attempt here last year, under walnut trees. 8(. Also some heritage bean seeds - thanks Annette. And 6 red pepper plants - hope I can trade a couple for something else!! Going to get growing. So, in honour of this weekend planting, I have some trivia question about vegetables!!

1. Which vegetable has three times as much vitamin C as an orange and twice as much iron as spinach?

2. Which herb did the ancient Greeks hold sacred, using it to not only to adorn victors of athletic contests, but also for decorating the tombs of the deceased?

3. Which vegetable comes in white, yellow, orange, green, and purple varieties?

4. Which fruit is a member of the rose family?

5. Which nut did the Romans shower newlyweds with as a fertility charm?

There, 5 feels about right. I found these answers to be quite surprising. Are they easy?? Any ideas?? I am coming back for breaky, and to give you clues!!

Nancy.

Comments (21)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good morning, Nancy. I will be out in the yard today also. :)

I have some initial thoughts for all of these, but not completely sure about 1, 2 (several thoughts spring to mind, but I don't think of my answers as herbs, so will think some more), and 4. I think I know most of them, but just not totally confident.

Fun.

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Good morning all, I'm pretty sure I know the answer to 2, 3 & 4 I've actually seen a rose grafted onto one of these fruits ( I think 4. has more than one answer). I need clues for 1 & 5.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, I am soooo far behind, I'm just now ready to get out the door!! I've got most of my things together, just need the rose thingie for my watering can - not sure they'll have one there....I've got a bucket, and will take my trowel and all of my seeds - who knows what inspiration will strike once I am there!! I've got a pork roast in the crockpot, to make some pulled pork...maybe I'll make some coleslaw, just need to pick a couple of things up on my journey!! There are a couple of clues mixed in with my blather....#5 is considered a wonder food just now. Many eat these nuts for their health benefits, I just love them for their taste!! Have I helped a bit??

Nancy.

11 years ago

Thanks Nancy I now think I know #5. Must think on #1.

Annette

• thinman
    11 years ago

Thinking here ... it ain't easy.

Is number 1 a sort of lowly vegetable?
    Was number 2 made into a wreath?
    Could number 3 be the same answer as number 1?
    I think I know 4, and have a number of these. I even know the varieties of two of them.
    I think I know 5 as well. My doctor recommended the oil of this nut. For eating, not lubricating.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I think #1 and #3 are the same as well, TM. I think #4 has been popular since, well, Adam and Eve. We always have a bag of #5 in the cupboard. At least, I am pretty sure we do. Those and salmon have the same beneficial fatty acid?

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm...some you seem to be in the know!! 1 and 3 can come in the same colours - didn't think of that at first, but number 3 has been used as a pasta replacement, among other things. Sorry Cyn, I don't think Adam & Eve tasted # 4 - maybe we'd all be in the garden still?? And TM, there's nothing 'noble' about #2....there, I think I've headed you all off at the pass, before you got too far out of bounds.

Whew - I am sweaty, dirty, hot and burned!! OK, not really, really burned, but I dug out my sunscreen, which I didn't ever need last year, only to realize it was 2 years out of date - crap. Oh well, my straw hat helped. I moved 5 wheelbarrow loads of very nicely composted manure onto half of my raised bed - each 1/2 is 8' x 4'. That topped it up nicely. No one else was there today, but the people on the other half of my 'L' seem to have theirs planted. In the corners at one end I have planted some nasturtiums, and then some marigolds in between. then, the 6 peppers. Along the lengths either side, I put carrots (Maverick), interspersed with Cherry Belle radishes. On the other side, I put half parsnips (Albion) and Croatian lettuce (thanks again, Annette). At the midway corners I seeded some old basil seed - if it doesn't come up, no loss; Greek oregano - yum. At the end of the peppers, I put a circle of Cherokee Trail of Tears pole beans (I'll add the poles later) and a Brandywine tom. There's room for something else in the middle at the end, but I'm not sure what I'll put there yet. So, I need to put 5 more loads of compost into the other half. I'll see if I have enough oomph tomorrow, after today. I picked up another Brandywine (I love these toms) and 4 Lemon Boys, as well at 4 jalapenos. I'm going onto the Facebook page to see if anyone else has something to trade for 2 each of the latter. Maybe a load of compost moved?? Then I can put beet seeds in, the Kentucky short pod beans, etc, etc. I need a shower, and some Aleve!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

OK. Rule out laurel (didn't think it was an herb anyway) for No. 2. Rule out apple for No. 4.

I think I have 3, though I really can't remember a purple one, and maybe 1 and 5.

Number 5 side note to Cynthia: If it's what we both think it is (I think) it does have the omega-3 fatty acid ALA, just like flaxseed, though that is thought to be a poor cousin to the EPA and DHA found in fatty fish. I've been paying a lot of attention to this stuff lately, so you caught me on a good day, fact-remembering-wise.

TM

11 years ago

Just in case I don't get back here's what I've come up with so far...
    Still thinking about #1 possibly Peppers
    2. Parsley, they also used bay laurel in wreaths of honor
    3. Cauliflower
    4. Apple, also Quince and Pears, I've actually seen a rose grafted on an apple tree.
    5. Almonds, needed the hint here, thanks Nancy.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Romans used Bay laurel. Oh, those crazy Greeks! ! Annette has trumped me with her superior knowledge of botany and the family Rosaceae!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Yikes, Nancy, I am way off I guess.

I thought peppers for 1 and 3, apples for 4, and walnuts for 5.

I also thought laurel for 2, TM, but if that is the same as bay laurel and if that is the same as bay leaf, then we could be right. Not holding my breath on that though.

This is a great question!

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

I think I know three of the five and am missing the clues.
    1. ?
    2. Laurel, sweet bay leaves
    3 peppers, I have planted all these different colors over the years, now plant just red and yellow and green but often pick up one or two of the others at the Farmer's Market.
    4 ?
    5. Almonds, my favorite nut

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

I think I know three of the five and am missing the clues.
    1. ?
    2. Laurel, sweet bay leaves
    3 peppers, I have planted all these different colors over the years, now plant just red and yellow and green but often pick up one or two of the others at the Farmer's Market.
    4 ?
    5. Almonds, my favorite nut

• thinman
    11 years ago

My guesses:

1) Potato
    2) Thought it was laurel, now I dunno.
    3) Peppers sound good. Thought it was a potato at first, but I've never seen a green one, except for sun-kist ones.
    4) I thought apples was the answer, but Nancy said no to Adam and Eve. Maybe it is plums.
    5) Walnuts

For better or worse, that's all I have.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

{{gwi:603305}}

OK you smarty-pantsed bunch!! Pretty good, considering the lousy clues....

1. The answer is�������� peppers! Compared to green peppers, red peppers have more vitamins and nutrients and contain the antioxidant lycopene. The level of carotene, like lycopene, is nine times higher in red peppers. Red peppers have twice the vitamin C content of green peppers. Also, one large red bell pepper contains 209 mg of vitamin C, which is three times the 70 mg of an average orange. The fruit of Capsicum plants have a variety of names depending on place and type. They are commonly called chili pepper, red or green pepper in North America, or sweet pepper in Britain, and typically just "capsicum" in Australia, New Zealand, and India. The large mild form is called bell pepper in the U.S. and Canada. They are called paprika in some other countries (although paprika can also refer to the powdered spice made from various capsicum fruit).

2. The answer is������ parsley! Sardinia featured parsley on its currency. Parsley had such strong status for the Greeks that they wore it to banquets. They believed that it sprang from the blood of Archemorus, the foreshadower of Death, whose nurse carelessly placed him in a bed of parsley, where he was devoured by serpents. Regarding it as the "herb of oblivion", they decorated tombs with parsley. Homer tells us that warriors fed their chariot horses parsley and mentions it as part of Circe's pleasant lawn in The Odyssey. Greek poet Theocritus writes; "At Sparta's palace, 20 beauteous maids/The pride of Greece, fresh garlands crown'd their heads/With hyacinths and twining parsley dress'd, Graced/joyful Menelaus' marriage feast." They also used it for medicinal purposes and fashioned it into a crown for the winners of the Isthmian and Nemean games. Parsley is more than just throwaway garnish. Chew on it for a fresher breath. Finely chopped parsley added to cous cous or rice pilaf adds color and texture. It's a bitter, aromatic, and diuretic herb that relaxes spasms, reduces inflammation and clears toxins. It is also said to inhibit tumor-cell growth and stimulates the digestion and uterus. It contains flavonoids (including apiin), traces of furanocoumarins (bergapten, oxypeucedanin, psoralen). The essential oil contains phenylpropanoids apiol, myristicin and allyltetramethoxybenzol. Whatever those are!!

3. The answer is����������. cauliflower! Try raw cauliflower, carrots, and tomatoes with a lowfat blue cheese dip for a healthy snack. You can steam or microwave cauliflower until soft and then mash. Add some chicken broth, vegetable broth, or low fat milk along with a dab of butter and some sea salt for mock mashed potatoes. Some people never miss the potatoes.

4. The answer is����������pear! Who knew? Well, apparently most of you, not me!! I find this amazing. The Rosaceae family includes many edible fruits (such as apples, apricots, plums, cherries, peaches, pears, raspberries, and strawberries), almonds, and ornamental trees and shrubs (such as roses, meadowsweets, photinias, firethorns, rowans, and hawthorns). So Cyn, you too were correct!!

5. The answer is���������almonds! Greek mythology tells of the beautiful princess Phyllis, who was left waiting at the altar on her wedding day by her intended, Demophon. Phyllis waited for years for him to return, but finally died of a broken heart. In sympathy, the gods transformed Phyllis into an almond tree, which became a symbol of hope. When the errant, remorseful Demonphon returned to find Phyllis as a leafless, flowerless tree, he embraced the tree. The tree suddenly burst into bloom, a demonstration of love not conquered by death. A similar legend is popular in Portugal. No word on why the Romans took up the story. A handful of almonds (15) are high protein and good for the heart. Going nuts in moderation is a good thing. While the fruit of the wild forms contains the glycoside amygdalin, "which becomes transformed into deadly prussic acid (hydrogen cyanide) after crushing, chewing, or any other injury to the seed", domesticated almonds are not toxic. Glad to hear that, cause I have bought some bargain almonds that were quite bitter. Almonds are high in monounsaturated fats, the same type of health-promoting fats as are found in olive oil, which have been associated with reduced risk of heart disease. The protein in almonds is more like the proteins in human breast milk of all the seeds and nuts, which is why it is the choice of the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine as the base for its baby formula.

So there you go. Some fun with vegetables - our Mothers would be proud!! So, correct me if I am wrong, but for Annette:

For TM, Cyn and Bobbie:

Thanks for playing, everyone. I'm not going back to my garden today - shoulders and neck are too sore, so next Sunday it is. Happy Victoria Day to Annette and I - happy Monday to everyone else. There is grass to be cut, and laundry to be finished - glad it's a holiday!

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Thanks, Nancy, you are so generous. I'd feel lucky to get even one star from my sad little answers. But I had 3 stars worth of fun, if that counts for anything. :)

TM

11 years ago

Thanks for the stars Nancy, really wasn't sure about the peppers but glad I guessed right.

It's raining cats and dogs here, so glad as all the fuchsia baskets needed to be watered, all 20 of them, still have half a dozen in the greenhouse I just planted up.

After the dismal tomato year we had last year I decided to grow most of the tomatoes in the greenhouse. Cherokee Purple, Celebrity, Rinaldo, Ernesto, Provenzano (sp.) and Indigo Rose. The cherries, Snow White, Cheerio and Black Cherry I'll chance in the garden.

Have half the bean varieties planted out and have the rest started in the greenhouse. I'm growing lots of new to me heirlooms this year including Gigandes a runner from Greece, Selma Zebra a heirloom that has just resurfaced in the UK after 30 years and also the new purple snow pea Shiraz also from the UK.

I'm hoping the rain scheduled for the next couple of days makes the weeds easier to pull.

I'm also growing my peppers and cucs in the greenhouse too, not going to take a chance on having a better summer.

Sounds like your going to have a great garden at your allotment :).

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, that looked way better in preview. lol. Annette, there will be pictures, if I ever find my camera!! I grew Black cherry a couple of years back, and found them to be tasteless...guess if you're growing them you didn't have the same results. I still love the Sweet Million - I know that it is a hybrid, but they're just so darn good!!

And TM, I'm glad you had fun!! I do enjoy trying to come up with cool things, and then tease, but not stump you all. I consider myself, well, not a failure, but that I didn't come with great clues if I can't help you to the answer. I'm learning!! See you all next week.

Nancy.

11 years ago

Nancy, first year for Black Cherry, tasteless you say, guess I won't be chopping at the bit to taste the first one LOL.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Thanks for the stars which were undeserved! I agree, though, with TM that it was four stars worth of fun! I love all the info. Never would have guessed parsley or cauliflower. Now I will be on the look out for all those colors!

Have a wonderful week all.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One of the local-grown markets that I used to go to had organic growers who had all the colours!! What a display!!

Annette, maybe it was my soil? I know the person who sent the seed raved about the flavour...keep me posted!!

Nancy.