Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday

Well, another sunny Saturday here - a few more containers to plant, then I swear I am done!!

Well, this is something I deal with every day at work - it's one of those modern terms that deal with digital breakup, or makeup, of a picture. What is that word? Spelling counts, cause there is another almost identical word that means something quite different....and is it really a 'modern' word??

Hmmmm....I'll be back with clues. In the meantime, the garden awaits.

Nancy.

Comments (15)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

All I think of at the moment is #$%&%. Most annoying when it happens just when it's getting to the good part in a movie. Sorry, technical stuff is not my thing, even with clues :). By any chance does the word start with a 'D'?

Annette

• thinman
    9 years ago

Beautiful day here too, Nancy. Isn't it great? I still have cosmos, zinnias, tomatoes and sweet Williams to set out, plus planting beans, squash, and pumpkins. Then it will be up to the garden gods. I hope they're good to all of us this year.

I have a thought for the trivia answer, and it starts with a p. I'll have to see if your clues support my guess or blow it up.

TM

9 years ago

MMMM, 'P', I just thought of another word :).

Annette

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

The word I am thinking of has become well known because of the digital effects in movies.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

'P' indeed, and it is a portmanteau, that is a word made up of two other words. Hmmm......

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I also thought of a "P" word, but it is probably incorrect. Not sure if it is made from two words.

I am late because we had a neighborhood yard sale. Made a whopping $15. I think most people went to the newer part of the neighborhood. Didn't have much to sell anyway. I took advantage of having to be out front to do some weeding. It is definitely hopeless. Moved a nandina from the front of the house to the back yard where it's spread won't bother me. Put one of the new rhodies in it's spot. Sort of an experiment to see which of the three likes it's placement the best. Next job is dividing hellebores. Probably should have done it last fall, but I am impulsive and when I have an itch...better late than never.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Got garlic and freshly ground pepper on the strip steaks. I made a coconut cream pie with Bird's Custard powder and a honey graham crust. The piece de resistance will be a warm potato salad!! They were demo'ing this at the grocery store yesterday, and I had to make it. Tiny red potatoes, sold as Ruby Gems here, halved and boiled, then roasted with a bit of olive oil and S&P, then add crumble bacon, chopped green onions and Caesar dressing. It was yummy in the store, and potato salad never goes to waste here, even if it's store-bought!!

Bobbie - didn't see your post earlier - the movie technique is a different spelling, and oddly, the reason I got thinking about this. When I am trouble shooting, we are all in a virtual chat room, asking questions with senior agents, coaches, etc. answering them. The spelling gets pretty wild, and I suspect many are not that great at spelling to start with, which always make me wonder....

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Well, since it is after 9:00 pm here, which means I am fading fast (sigh, those late nights are gone, I fear), my guess is pixelated. Not sure why, except it was the only word that popped into my head and then there was the 'p' clue from TM, so that's my answer and I am sticking to it...unless someone else points out how wrong I am and gives me another! ;)

Not sure it is a portmanteau, though.

See you all in the morning,
    Cynthia

• thinman
    9 years ago

I'm thinking that the portmanteau word Nancy is thinking of comes from picture element, and is shorter than Cynthia's word.

How am I doing?

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Is it a three letter word?

Been out enjoying time with extended family. Also celebrating our 45th anniversary.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Pixel is the word I was thinking about. Think the picture element was earlier referred to as pel. Dont remember when pixel became common terminology but for me it was associated with movies. For my son it was computers.

9 years ago

I was thinking the same as Cyn.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The word "pixel" was first published in 1965 by Frederic C. Billingsley of JPL(Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California), to describe the picture elements of video images from space probes to the Moon and Mars. However, Billingsley did not coin the term himself. Instead, he got the word "pixel" from Keith E. McFarland, at the Link Division of General Precision in Palo Alto, who did not know where the word originated. McFarland said simply it was "in use at the time" (circa 1963).

The word is a portmanteau of picture and element, via pix. The word pix appeared in Variety magazine headlines in 1932, as an abbreviation for the word pictures, in reference to movies. By 1938, "pix" was being used in reference to still pictures by photojournalists.

The concept of a "picture element" dates to the earliest days of television, for example as "Bildpunkt" (the German word for pixel, literally 'picture point') in the 1888 German patent of Paul Nipkow. According to various etymologies, the earliest publication of the term picture element itself was in Wireless World magazine in 1927, though it had been used earlier in various U.S. patents filed as early as 1911.

Some authors explain pixel as picture cell, as early as 1972. In graphics and in image and video processing, pel is often used instead of pixel. For example, IBM used it in their Technical Reference for the original PC.

Pixilation, spelled with a second i, is an unrelated filmmaking technique that dates to the beginnings of cinema, in which live actors are posed frame by frame and photographed to create stop-motion animation. An archaic British word meaning "possession by spirits (pixies)," the term has been used to describe the animation process since the early 1950s; various animators, including Norman McLaren and Grant Munro, are credited with popularizing it.

A pixel is generally thought of as the smallest single component of a digital image. However, the definition is highly context-sensitive. For example, there can be "printed pixels" in a page, or pixels carried by electronic signals, or represented by digital values, or pixels on a display device, or pixels in a digital camera (photosensor elements). This list is not exhaustive, and depending on context, there are several terms that are synonymous in particular contexts, such as pel, sample, byte, bit, dot, spot, etc.

A megapixel (MP) is a million pixels; the term is used not only for the number of pixels in an image, but also to express the number of image sensor elements of digital cameras or the number of display elements of digital displays. For example, a camera that makes a 2048×1536 pixel image (3,145,728 finished image pixels) typically uses a few extra rows and columns of sensor elements and is commonly said to have "3.2 megapixels" or "3.4 megapixels", depending on whether the number reported is the "effective" or the "total" pixel count. Remember when we thought that was a totally awesome camera? Cell phones have better cameras now!!

So, for TM and Bobbie:
    {{gwi:603369}}{{gwi:603369}}{{gwi:603369}}{{gwi:603369}}

For Cynthia and Annette:
    {{gwi:603369}}{{gwi:603369}}{{gwi:603369}}

Thanks for playing - see you all next week!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Like those stars! Thanks, Nancy. Fun stuff, as always.

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Thanks for the stars and the info.