Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

thinman
10 years ago

Good morning, dear cottagers. This must be the weekend for sleeping in - Cynthia yesterday, and me today.

This being Memorial Day here in the U.S., I was going to throw out some military trivia, but I didn't think that would be fair to Nancy and Annette, so I've gone in another direction - graduation ceremonies. This will be a two part question. I think the first part may be easy, so when you all get that right, I have a followup question.

There is a connection between the occupation of mason and the traditional graduation in many many schools. It has nothing to do with music, speeches, or the diplomas themselves, but it is very hard to miss. Can you name the connection?

Hints will follow, if you need them.

TM

Comments (31)

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I'm thinking it has to do with the name of a certain item graduates wear.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Aah, lol. A sore muscle woke me up and got me out of be for a VERY wee stretch. I believe headgear is de riguer for this answer?? I always wondered what that was all about!

Nancy - who thinks she is ready for part 2.....

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Good morning all,
    Yup I got it too. I love to see them in the air.
    :) Laura

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Well, thank goodness I know this one. Hats off to you, TM. Now, part 2?

Cynthia

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, smarties. Mortar board. I thought that would be too easy for you.

What does a real mortar board look like? Not too exciting, really. They are just flat featureless square pieces of metal or plastic about 2 feet square sometimes placed on a stand made for the purpose.

There is a second kind of mortar board with a handle meant to be carried by the mason so he or she can scoop the mortar or plaster from it.
    {{gwi:603406}}

This is known as a ____. (Four letter word)

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Okay, I will mull this over as I schlep bags of soil conditioner around the yard. My plan is to put newspaper over the weeds and just cover with the soil conditioner which I will then cover again with mulch at some point-if I can still stand. :)

After all the home improvement shows I have watched (This Old House, Home Again, blah, blah, blah), one would think I would know this!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Yeah, no kidding - I too have seen a tonne of those shows, and yet, have no clue....

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I saw a show where the mason was using a scoop which was is a three letter word. No idea about the four letter word. Need clues.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This word as a verb is something that is done at a baseball game, for one, but not by anyone on the field, in the press box, or by the spectators.

Any help?

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

How about a food vender, does it have anything to do with a food vender?
    Annette

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I'm still pondering.

• auntyara
    10 years ago

aahh the game continues. yeay
    I've used one before, and I bet when I see the name I will say " i knew that" lol My mind is blank

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Hmmm, for some reason the word eagle popped in my head.
    I know that sounds weird, but I am weird.
    Am I getting close? or just out on a limb? lol

• auntyara
    10 years ago

I got it! Funny how my bird brain works lol. It's slow but it keeps spinning.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Jeepers, I was at the Nats game last night (Nats lost to Phillies, but since I grew up near Philadelphia, I was guaranteed to be happy no matter who won). Can't connect baseball (food vendors was my guess, too, Nancy) with Laura's bird clues. Does nest have anything to do with baseball?

Cynthia

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I came back thinking I would need to drop another hint, but maybe not. Annette, you're very warm, and Laura, it looks like you may very well be onto it.

Cynthia, you're warm too, I think, but the word nest is coldish.

TM

• auntyara
    10 years ago

About 5 yrs ago, I bought one for a spackling job. It's a lot easier to use it, than to keep scooping out of a bucket.
    I'm one of those people, who see someone do something, and think, Heck I could do that myself!
    I'll brag and say it came out pretty darn good. Patched a hole in the wall.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Sorry, Annette, you and I were thinking alike, not Nancy. I actually am just grasping at straws here, TM. :)

I think I am stumped.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I'm racking my brain trying to connect birds and baseball. How about bath? Baseball fields have bathrooms and birds use a birdbath. I'll go ask DH if he knows of a connection.

Dang, just realized bath is not a verb.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Mon, May 27, 13 at 0:13

• auntyara
    10 years ago

" This word as a verb is something that is done at a baseball game, for one, but not by anyone on the field, in the press box, or by the spectators".

Think circus, instead of baseball park....

This post was edited by auntyara on Mon, May 27, 13 at 7:57

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The word also can mean to clear one's throat in an loud and gross way.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Morning is here and with another clue, I still have no idea! Will continue to think until you post the answer TM.

I think my brain has turned to mush...not unlike those of my students. ;)

Cynthia

• auntyara
    10 years ago

lol ewwww! loogies!!! lol

10 years ago

Oh Yuck TM, I think I may have it now does it start with an "H"?

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry we had to bring up loogies. Try to forget it as soon as you can.

Answer: hawk.
    I don't know why it's called that.

for Cynthia and Bobbie

for Annette and Laura.

Good going, ladies, and thanks for playing trivia with me.

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I didn't get back to put my answer down but did come up with hawk from the last clues. Thanks for the stars, TM.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, then, for Bobbie too.

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Ah, TM, you are too generous.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Definitely too generous! I didn't deserve any, but love all the clues. I should have figured it out. Can't wait to come up with a reason to need one and ask Charles if we have a hawk! I will sound so smart.

Thanks for the fun, TM.

Cynthia

10 years ago

Never would have got it without that last, ugh, clue :). Another fun weekend.

Annette

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars and the fun!
    I'm on a roll lol.