Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Well, as stated on Cynthia's question, I had a busy day yesterday, and have another on today. I am heading off early to finish planting my allotment, then back home to do laundry as it will apparently rain tomorrow.

So, to trivia. I simple question today, perhaps. What is the North Pacific Gyre? No slithy toves here!!

Nancy.

Comments (11)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Oh, I do think I know this! I will be back for clues just in case I am wrong.

Doing a turn-about today and cleaning out trash instead of the basic cleaning like dusting, bathrooms, and such. Of course, I often can't throw stuff away and so I just end up moving it somewhere else. :(

Cynthia

• thinman
    11 years ago

I think I may know this one too, and I also think Cynthia gave us a good hint. Good luck with your planting, Nancy. I think we are getting your tomorrow rain today. Lord knows we need it.

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Good Morning all, I'm pretty sure I know this too, very familiar with the land based one. At least what I take there is recycled into something reusable.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, dang - chalk this up to another one that was maybe too easy?? I had heard vaguely of this phenomenon before this, but was shocked that this particular one is the size of Texas, or larger!! Research conducted last year by Scripps scientists that showed 9 per cent of fish collected on the expedition to it in 2009 -- nearly 1 in 10 -- had this stuff in their stomachs.

TM, it actually looks like it might rain later today here!! I still don't have the laundry out, as I wanted to get to the allotment before mid-day - Ha!! Who am I kidding?? Just back now, and filthy - trying to decide whether to risk the line, or throw it all into the dryer.....

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Nancy, the blob of rain that was here is just now heading across Lake Huron. I don't know how far east from here you are, but it does look like it is on its way.

I wonder if a lot of the stuff from the Japanese Tsunami will end up in the gyre.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You know, north of Annette on the BC coast, up in the Haida Gwia (formerly the Queen Charlotte Islands), a hiker in a very remote area (of a very remote area!) found the back end of a one-ton truck, with a Harley-Davidson in it!! Amazing survival! Most experts agree that cleaning up the giant swirl in the North Pacific is an impossible Sisyphean task. Then again, another expert opined that 20 years ago, everyone smoked......people can change, and if we put our collective minds to it, it could be done. Like the old joke about how do you eat and elephant? One bite at a time!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I like that idea, Nancy-a little bit at a time.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

From the postings it appears the area that is created by the intersection of various currents in the North Pacific Ocean (gyre). I heard the refuse in it called the Great Pacific Garbage Patch on the news recently when the news was about the garbage from the Japanese tesumami coming to shore in the Northwestern states.

Temp is over 90 degrees F here today--a good day to enjoy the air conditioning and a book. We've had over 5 inches of rain this week with storms expected again tonight. Hoping it doesn't hail. Had small hail earlier which didn't do much damage to the gardens.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

{{gwi:603418}}

Well, shocking but true!! As of this week, 45 California cities and counties including San Francisco, San Jose and Oakland have banned plastic bags in stores. Meanwhile, more than 60 California cities and counties have restricted or banned Styrofoam.
    Because about 80 per cent of the trash in the Pacific Ocean comes from land, the alarming findings of this week's study illustrate a need for a change in behaviour, said Kaitilin Gaffney, Pacific program director of the Ocean Conservancy, an environmental group. "This is a problem created by personal action, and frankly, personal carelessness. Ultimately, we need a behaviour shift," she said. "When I was a kid, everybody smoked. Now, most people don't smoke. The solution, really, is to move away from single-use items, and we need people to basically be more thoughtful," Gaffney added.

So there you go, we can change, and we really need to!!

Everyone gets stars this week!!

Thanks to all for playing. Sorry I have been so busy the last couple of Sundays. I'll be around next week!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

In the US back in the 60s, Lady Bird Johnson had the "Beautify America" campaign that made most of us kids aware of the need to clean up and not litter. We need that again. The difference in our highways after that campaign was amazing. We should be able to clean up our rivers and oceans, too. We just need to get the word out to our children (of course, that doesn't even begin to address industrial and other pollution)!

Thanks for the fun and the stars.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I remember seeing the blue bonnets(?) that she had planted in the highway medians when I was last in Texas - almost drove off the road admiring them!! lol.

Nancy

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022