Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Well, it's been a slow start to the day, not only for me but also my computer...why does it not wake up sometimes??

Weather today it cloudy, but nice. Hopefully the sun will come out later.

On to my question: It has 2 correct answers, I haven't decided whether I require both for all the stars. I was going to do Mother's Day trivia, but find ANY that was interesting. So, on to words: what do the following have in common.

galumph

chortle

burbled

What sayest thou?? Is this easy? There are actually 3 connections....any ideas?

Nancy.

Comments (22)

• thinman
    11 years ago

Just for starters ...

They are all verbs.
    They are all onomatopoetic, at least I think they are.
    They all have two vowels.

Nothing too clever for me so far. Going out to the garden to get some things done and will check back later.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Good start TM! I will need to think, but suspect I am not nearly clever enough. They are wonderful words.

Will be back for clues. Want to work in the yard, but Chuck suggested a movie after his meeting, so we'll see. He thought I might like to see the new Johnny Depp one (big fan of his and Tim Burton-weird, but fun).
    Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very good, TM - all true, and not intended. I wonder if Cynthia meant the small clue she dropped? That would be Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, although the source would be different.

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

The words all have 7 letters, other than that ???????

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol!! You guys keeps finding unintentional things! This is funny, except that it misdirects you - not my plan!! Think about part of the long word that Thin Man used....

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, how about some other examples?

mimsy
    gimble
    vorpal

There you go - 5 and 6 letter words!! They all come from the same 'source'....

Nancy.

11 years ago

The fog is still swirling around in my crystal ball :), how about poetic licence.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Oh jeepers, no, I have no idea of the clue I dropped. Does it have to do with Johnny Depp? Not sure how that would work.

So, poetic? Was your What sayest thou? a clue? Are they from Shakespeare? I think we've talked before about how he made up words.

More clues please.

Cynthia

• thinman
    11 years ago

It's sounding like James Joyce to me.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah, Cyn - poetic yes, not from Shakespeare, but he created the same type of thing. I'll give you this: they are nonce words, or nonsense words. That is one of the similarities that I sought...their author called them 'portmanteaux', which is to say two words put together to create a third. e.g. miserable and flimsy create mimsy.....clear as smog??

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Clear as smog, Annette!!

• thinman
    11 years ago

Some tiny voice in my brain keeps jabbering something at me.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Aha! Now I see why what I said could have been a clue! Wish I could take credit for that. Never saw it, but it looked like a fun movie, she said with her cheshire cat grin.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol. So, you don't need more? Jabbering indeed?? Annette, have your friends helped you?? Cyn, you need to be more focused.....

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Should I also say:

Bandersnatch
    Beamish
    Frabjous

Spell check really does not like these words, but I do!!

Nancy.

11 years ago

Now I'm thinking Alice in Wonderland.

Annette

• thinman
    11 years ago

Beware the Jabberwock.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

{{gwi:603443}}
    'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
    Long time the manxome foe he sought
    So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
    And stood awhile in thought.

And as in uffish thought he stood,
    The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
    Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
    And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! and through and through
    The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head
    He went galumphing back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
    Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
    O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
    He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Yes, Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky. Many of the words in the poem are playful nonce words of Carroll's own invention, without intended explicit meaning. This may reflect Carroll's intention for his readership; the poem is, after all, part of a dream. In later writings he discussed some of his lexicon, commenting that he did not know the specific meanings or sources of some of the words; the linguistic ambiguity and uncertainty throughout both the book and the poem may largely be the point. Although the poem contains many nonsensical words, English syntax and poetic forms are observed, such as the quatrain verses, the general abab rhyme scheme and the iambic meter. The linguist Lucas believes the "nonsense" term is inaccurate. The poem relies on a distortion of sense rather than "non-sense", allowing the reader to infer meaning and therefore engage with narrative while lexical allusions swim under the surface of the poem.

And I could go on and on, but the point was: Jabberwocky, neologisms, and portmanteaus. So, for TM, who avoided the frumious Bandersnatch:

For Cynthia and Annette, who got the context:

Thanks for playing - that was fun. See you next week.

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

My late sister-in-law and husband had a good-sized Chris-Craft that they named Bandersnatch. At the time I had not heard the word, but she educated me. I thought it was a pretty cool name for a boat.

Good question, Nancy. Thanks for the fun.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What a great name for a boat!! And what a great place for a CC - are you near Algonac??

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

I'm at the north end of the lower peninsula so I'm not very close to Algonac, and have never been there, in fact. My town has a natural deep water harbor on Lake Michigan and is a pretty great place for boats too, big and small. They will start cruising in here in a few weeks.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Fun, Nancy! I should have thought harder!

Love the name of the boat, TM! Those old wooden Chris-Crafts are such wonderful boats.

Thanks for the education Nancy! I have always loved that poem, but never read it often enough to remember any but the first verse-or just didn't pay enough attention!

Cynthia

Sponsored