Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bunny Proof Plants??

Posted by midnightsmum 4b ON (My Page) on
Tue, May 5, 09 at 10:28

Well, Cameron is on holidays, and a friend needs some help. Is there such a thing as plant that Bugs does not find appealing?? Who has had experience keeping rabbits out of their garden??

TIA, Nancy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bunny Proof Plants??

Silk Flowers?

I jest.

o

These are what I can think of off hand:

Sage, Salvia, Rosemary, Lavender (most Herbs), Marigolds, Lamb's Ears, Artemesia (Wormwood, Southernwood, &etc), Veronica, Canna lilies, Asters, Yarrow, Pyrethrium (Painted Daisies), Irises, Centranthus (Jupiter's Beard), Wandering Jew, Nicotiana, Alliums, Echinacea (Coneflowers), Toad Lily or Blackberry lily, Rose of Sharon, Hibiscus (?), Columbine (I think), Coreopsis, Rudbeckia, Queen Anne's Lace, Penstemon, Pennisetum, Soloman's Seal, Dutchman's Pipe, Digitalis (Foxgloves), Buddeleia, Akebia vine, Coral Bells, Sidalcea, Gaillardia, Sweet Potato vine, Verbena, Pentas, Cleome, Garden Phlox, Chaste tree, Crepe Myrtle, Meadow Foam, Verbascum, Candytuft, Meadowsweet, Sunflowers, Allysum, many flowering vines, & many more.

~Annie

o

Annie - what a great list - this should be archived somewhere !~

Nancy.

o

I agree with much of what my friend, Annie, listed. But I have had a few different experiences in my garden. The rabbits will eat sunflower, marigold and morning glory seedlings. However, they do not like the mature plants. Rabbits don't like catmint (nepatha), columbine, candytuft, catananche, snapdragon, chrysanthemum, osteospermum, forsythia, artemesia, grapes, agastache, honeysuckle, plumbago, cotoneaster, Maximilian sunflower,euryops, penstemons, and scabiosa. They haven't touched my tarragon, lavender or oregano. They generally don't like salvias, but they will eat the flowers of meadow sage. I think they do not like dianthus, but am not sure of that.

Rabbits killed two of my three yarrows, ate them down to the ground. They haven't messed with my roses, squash or melons. They will eat bean seedlings, but not mature plants. They will eat corn seedlings. This past winter they did eat the tops off those onions which they were able to reach.

I believe rabbits are opportunistic in what they eat. If they don't like something, they may eat it anyway, if food is scarce for them. They never touched my arugula in five years. This past winter they ate every arugula they could get to, down to the nubs. It was a dry winter here, there wasn't much native stuff available for the rabbits to eat.

o

I agree with the excellent lists and comments provided by Annie and Lorna with one exception.
Rabbits LOVE penstemon!
At least the varieties my friends and I have attempted to grow in Ohio and Massachusetts.

Of course Annie had the perfect answer: silk flowers! lol

Patti

o

just an idea to think about ~~ i buy a bag of milorganit & just take the entire bag & fling it all over (concentrating a little more on areas that have been munched in the past) ~~ it stinks; & rabbits don't like stinky stuff ~

it's also an organite fertilizer; so it's a win/win situation ~

rabbits are creatures of habit & i have pretty much succeeded in getting them into the *habit* of staying out of my yard!

just a thought, phyl

o

I've read somewhere Shasta Daisies are bunny resistant. A

o

I've been reading about these lilies and I want some! They are rabbit, deer and rodent proof :
Crown Imperial (Fritillaria Imperiali).

They are said to smell like skunk scent, but they are so beautiful and so regal in the cottage garden.
Bloom time - late spring through early summer.

Red, red-orange and yellow blooms.

~Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here