Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Oh dear. I am so late today! I overslept (think I may be getting a cold and didn't get up until 9:00!) and then Kelly brought the little monster to play with our pups and we sat and chatted. So here I am-finally. It is chilly here today, so I will clean and organize yet again-I never seem to get through it all-and avoid others so as not to spread my germs if I am getting a cold.

I have been toying with how to present this question. At first, I was going to ask you to identify the person, but now, I think I will switch it up and come from another angle.Tonight we are going to the Nationals vs. Phillies baseball game. Love both teams, so I will be happy no matter what happens! Today's question is related to baseball.

Stan Musial was one of the all-time great baseball players and finest human beings on the planet. He played in St. Louis. Today's question has to do with something he popularized, but which wasn't directly connected to baseball. Lots of people do this now and it is a behavior that has also been observed among primates. What did he do that we now either see others doing or do ourselves almost every day. I even do it with kids at school from time to time. I will be more explicit if no one has any clue, but I am afraid if I do use one particular word, it will give it away and as yet, I haven't come up with a clever way to avoid that.

Cynthia

Comments (23)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Morning Cyn! Late is normal for me these days, but sitting in chairs is getting less painful. I had my stitches/staples out on Wednesday - 33 in all! Glad that is over and I celebrated with a shower!! Woo-hoo.

I have less than no clue, if that is possible!! Clues, please.

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Stan the man. Scratch and spit? No, you probably don't do that with your kids at school. Do you?

I have a feeling that switch it up and come at it from another angle may be clues, but I can't yet see how.

Will think.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nothing better than a shower after days without.

I am afraid this may have been a poor choice for trivia. Seems that I either give it away or there is no chance of getting it.

I am starting to think that my runny nose is a result of sleeping in the same room with the filthy pups who deperately need a bath rather than germs, so no need to avoid shaking hands today.

Nancy, will work on clues for you. So glad you are on the mend.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Wasn't Stan the Man a spokesperson for the national exercise effort? Could it be a certain exercise? One that I see the same people doing around our mile block most every day?

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Hmmmm....hard to give clues, yet one word could give it away!!! Do germs have anything to do with it?

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Darn, I'm still in the dark :(.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, here is the word: gesture. A small gesture can mean so much these days. Musial was concerned that he got too many colds because of all the hand shaking he did.

One of the most famous pictures of this gesture was taken in 2008. Very cute, actually, I think and unexpected in a campaign.

Cynthia

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Hello all,
    too cold to play outside here. My gardening is falling behind.
    Nancy, glad to hear you are on the mend! Don't rush the healing:)
    Stan the man??? Sounds familiar. I'm a Yankee fan myself.
    I'm taking a stab in the dark, but did he have something to with a physical gesture of praise? Not a hug.
    :) Laura

• auntyara
    10 years ago

lol I type too slow. I think I got it

10 years ago

Thanks Cyn, I think gesture did it for me, not a high 5 but kinda means the same thing????

Annette

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Have anything to do with a short part of the hand?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah, I knew that word would give it away. ;)

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

If it's any consolation, Cynthia, it didn't give it away to me. I'm still not getting it.

Fist pump?
    Fist bump?
    ??

TM

• thinman
    10 years ago

Thumbs up?

TM

10 years ago

I'm thinking it's the fist thingie, not sure what they call it but have seen it done at the end of hockey games.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Well, by golly - I think Nero did thumbs up - maybe the knuckle bump??

Nancy - who went to the grocery store to get veggies - sorely missing them in my diet, and now I am sore and missing my bed!! lol. a demain.

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Howie Mandel is afraid of germs too.

"One of the most famous pictures of this gesture was taken in 2008. Very cute, actually, I think and unexpected in a campaign."

This post was edited by auntyara on Sat, May 25, 13 at 20:31

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Four stars and a fist bump to Nancy, Annette, Laura, Bobbie, and TM!

Yes, the fist bump is the answer. Although he may not have been the first, Stan Musial was credited with making the gesture popular. The gesture has been observed in primates. It may also have come from the way boxers bump their gloves since they obviously couldn't shake hands and "come out swinging." The Obamas gave each other a fist bump on June 3, 2008 in St. Paul. Before the 2013 State of the Union, President Obama greeted Republican Sen. Kirk, newly returned to the Senate after a stroke, who in turn initiated an exploding fist bump after shaking the President's hand. My kiddoes at school especially like doing the exploding fist bump (bump, then stretch out your fingers as you pull back).

I hope this was kind of fun. We are so doggone busy at school right now with the state testing (three weeks worth of daily tests between the 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades), my IEPs for many of my special ed students, and on and on. I will be spending tomorrow writing an educational report for the Local Screening meeting on Tuesday. Ugh. Not much time left to read and come up with trivia for you all. Next Saturday may be a quick one, too, but bear with me. I will try to get trickier and have better clues for you!

Have a wonderful weekend all and if you have tomorrow off, enjoy. Charles left early this morning to go mix with the (mostly) Vietnam vets who are massing at the Pentagon for their Rolling Thunder ride into DC. He has gone every year since the first ride in 1988 and has taken thousands of pictures of all the bikes and now-grizzled vets. It is quite a site and if you ever get a chance, Memorial Day weekend is a terrific time to visit the capital simply because of Rolling Thunder. The ride is always a moving (no pun intended) experience. These guys are so dedicated to this and it also is great fun to watch.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Thanks cyn - good fun. without clues, I am nothing!! lol.

Nancy.

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars and the fun!

• thinman
    10 years ago

So Stan Musial did the fist bump. I had no idea - thought it was probably more modern than that. Another one of Cynthia's fun facts to know. Where do you come up with these little gems?

Thanks, Cynthia, for the fun.

Three weeks of state testing - good grief. I'll bet retirement never looked as good as at this time of year.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

TM, I found that one in The Atlantic. Not specifically, but it mentioned it in one line of the story about him.

Yes, I have been thinking about retirement A LOT! Two of my best friends at school are retiring this year. Another died in January and never had the chance to retire. I need to make it at least one more year-62 and Social Security are needed! I may switch to a smaller and easier school for my last year. We'll see.

Thanks for the kind words all.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars, Cynthia, but I deserve none as I was going with thumbs up.

Stan the Man is my DH favorite baseball hero but he did not know this one either.

Had fun discussing it with friends and family.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Mon, May 27, 13 at 0:10

Sponsored