Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Thursday Tea...having tea in the garden, today?

lavender_lass
12 years ago

Yesterday was beautiful! Sunny and 70 degrees, but today is cooler and cloudy. It was so nice yesterday, it finally felt like May :)

So, are you having your tea outside, maybe in the garden, today? Or is it rainy there, too...and maybe curled up in a comfy chair sounds more appealing? I'm inside today, but looking forward to another warm day tomorrow and more work in the garden. Today is my 'day off' for gardening and I plan to bake some muffins to go with my tea.

What are your plans? Anything exciting? Enjoy your tea and have a wonderful Thursday!

Comments (12)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Woke up to a chilly 40 degrees this morning brrrrrr, I'll be passing on tea this afternoon as we're heading down island to Victoria this morning. Hope to have a look see in a couple of nurseries and then head over to DS2's for dinner before we head for home. Have a great day and enjoy your tea.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Both of you have some nice plans for the day. A day off is well deserved Lass, and hope you have a safe and happy trip visiting your son Annette.

It was warm and humid all morning here, mowed the yard despite it being a tad wet. Then continued painting an old cupboard out in the garage (yesterday I spent the entire day painting the cupboard - can you say "stiff joints and sore back"?). All I had to do today is paint a border on the very bottom in black enamel.

In between coats I mowed the around the courtyard garden, finally came in and got cleaned up. Now it is really storming and the rain is coming down in sheets. I went out quick with an umbrella to drive the car back into the garage in case of hail. I had it out while I was painting.

No tea. :( and I had bought some cookie especially. Near to 5pm. is a little too late for tea, as it will keep me awake. Darn.

• BecR
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone! I know I've been missing in action lately. Sorry about that but I am slowly coming back from a major surgery I had back in February. One more surgery to go this year and if that goes well I am good to go.

Enough of that. I've missed you all but have peeked in here and there, to see what you are all up to. I haven't done much in the garden this year, but am finally able to get out and at least smell the roses, literally, so am happy about that. The sun has been shining on and off, but we are expecting some rain needed this coming weekend.

Today I managed to make some fragrant Vanilla Chai tea this afternoon that is so good with sugar and a spot of cream--yum! Have any of you ladies tried it? It's made by Bigelow and is my new favorite tea!!! Also made some individual shortcakes using a package of Hostess shortcakes that I filled with fresh fruits and drizzled a little cassis over them........ so yummy!!

Hugs to all my cottage garden friends. XX Becky

{{gwi:603615}}

12 years ago

Just got home about an hour ago. For dinner DS2 made a great caesar salad followed by pasta smothered with sherry steamed prawns and roasted red peppers in a creamy sauce that had a touch of parmesan and a hint of garlic. For dessert we had fresh from the garden rhubarb pie, it was scrumptious.

I found a couple more fuchsias for my baskets plus a very pretty oxalis and some striking petunias at the nurseries we went to but didn't make any major purchases.

Annette

12 years ago

Ooops hit the submit button too soon, Becky your shortcake looks soooooo good. So sorry to hear you've been going through a rough time, sending you a big hug your way.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Annette, my neighbor brought me up a piece of homemade rhubarb pie last night, but it was too late to drink tea with it. I should have saved it for today. Oh,well. SO good.

Yep, the shortcake looks scrumptious. I also didn't know you were having health issues, hope you are on the mend as you say. My sister-in-law loves Chai tea. I have yet to try it, I'll put it on my shopping list.

Well, trying to muster the energy to get out there and bring the cupboard into the house from the garage. Hope it fits in the space in the kitchen I have set aside for it. I measured, but that doesn't always mean anything, never was good at reading a ruler. ;). I'll snap a photo once it's in place and see what you guys think.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Yes! I did it! The cupboard is in da' house. Sucker was heavy, and it was a little tough getting it into the house, down the hallway and into the kitchen. Only one ding in the hallway wall. :( But it's very tiny an easy fix with paint.

Here are some before and after photos. It's suppose to be temporary counter space and storage until I can afford cabinets, but "temporary" in my case probably means 30yrs. :) I might post this over in Kitchens too.

{{gwi:603618}} before

{{gwi:603621}}

• BecR
    12 years ago

Annette, I envy you the homegrown rhubarb--one of my favorites! Used to see rhubarb in the grocery stores yrs ago, but not any more--wonder what's up??

Schoolhouse, that cupboard fits in there so perfectly next to your lovely vintage stove perfect!!! I noticed your ambitious paint project and beautiful blue ceiling too, a while ago and wonder where do you get the energy for all this!!! We've been in our little house for over ten years now, and have yet to paint (it needs it!). You are an inspiration. One of these days..............

LL, I hope you are having fun working outdoors in your spring garden don't overdo!

I appreciate everyone's well wishes.

Hugs everyone. XXXXX Becky

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Well Becky, it takes me awhile to get a fire lit under me, but when I do - I "get'er done". Painting is NOT my favorite thing to do.

I have everything moved into the new cupboard, and I love it. I put only those things that I use on a regular basis in there - purged all the rest. Aaaahhhh,it's a good feeling to purge. Just now, I was looking at how close the edge of the top is to the stove and thought, yikes, I wonder if I should push it a little more to the left. Well, now that the shelves are full, I couldn't budge it! Later, when I have another burst of energy. I don't use those burners much anyway.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Becky- It's so good to see you back with us! I'm glad you're feeling better and hope you get to enjoy the garden more and more, as spring turns into summer :)

Great shortcake recipe! The Vanilla Chai tea looks good too. It's so funny that you told me not to overdo, because of course, I did a little too much, but was more careful after that. I'll be heading out here in a few minutes (almost off work) to plant some great finds I got at the store this morning...coming back from the dentist!

Schoolhouse- Your cabinet is amazing and I'm so glad your kitchen is coming together so well. I look forward to more pictures! I love your style and the way you're reusing some of your cabinets and your wonderful stove...and your cabinet looks great, just where it is :)

Annette- What a lovely dinner and getting to visit your son at the same time! He sounds like a wonderful cook...any chance on getting the recipe for the sherry steamed prawns over pasta? That sounds delicious!

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Schoolhouse, I love your modular kitchen. I think it's unique and so cute - I'd keep what you have. That cabinet is a beauty - what is the counter made of?

Last week for tea I grabbed two gluten free short breads (the local bakery is now baking things I can eat! As a baker, I rarely buy them but it's nice they are there) and had some ice cream. It was so hot and I'm at the Farmers Market every week from 4-8pm volunteering until Thanksgiving. I need to remember to freeze some tea and take it for iced tea!!

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Thanks ggg. The top of the cupboard is its original wood top, but I painted it with a paint that has polyurethane already in it. I used a grey color called "Undeniable", an Easy Care True Value paint. Used two coats.

Sometimes I feel like I'm walking up to a counter like you'd see in an old hardware store. I wonder if that's where it came from, an old store of some kind. Like I mentioned, I think it may have been originally a built-in.

Sponsored