Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Happy Sunday morning, Cottagers!! It is a gorgeous sunny morning here, in the low 20's again, and that trend is to continue through the week to come!! Not that I will be able to enjoy it!! However, the seeds that I have planted will!! I am hoping that there will be sprouts when I come home!!

My last day of freedom, and I am moving very slowly as this week winds down - I'm off of the NSAID's and on T3's only. Sorry, I am even later to start than usual. I'm going to going to have pancakes with proper maple syrup and bacon this morning, with some strong fresh coffee. I'll be able to have naught tomorrow morning - maybe a sip or two of water. Sigh.

{{gwi:603753}}
Well, we've all heard the phrase, maybe (?) seen the movie? But where did the phrase come from? Hmmmmm....??? I will accept 2 answers, but will steer to one......double hmmmm?? lol. I will be back with clues!! After breaky!!

Nancy.

Comments (16)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Well I know what the "Full Monty" is if referring to the movie but... I'm thinking it probably originated elsewhere. Need clues for that.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I am with Annette. Need clues.

Your breakfast has my mouth watering.

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

Clueless here too. All word association does for me is to make me think of Monte Carlo or Monte Cristo.

Throw in some scrambled eggs and you have my dream breakfast, but only in my dreams now.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ahh, TM, and maybe some fried tomatoes, baked beans, toast......yum!!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I just had a thought. Popped into my head. Does it have anything to do with men who wear skirts and the question that always comes to mind? ;)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Just had a thought. Does it have anything to do with men who wear skirts and the question that always come to mind?

Or, from TM, something to do with gambling/cards?

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I know this one as have recently watched The Full Monty for the first time and did some research on the term.

It is still very cool so will do errands, trip to the grocery, suits to the dry cleaner, and a stop at the nursery to pick up plants for my front door pot.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mmmm, no skirts, can't think of a gambling clue, but TM does always come up with better clues than I!

I believe Bobbie has one, possibly 2 of the meanings!!

I really need to polish my Dad's WW2 medals. He kept them in a box in a drawer - I am proud of them. He has an unusual one with Vesuvius on it, smoking in the background, that all troops who entered Naples Bay with the 8th Army received. Very cool.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Small world Nancy. My dad was in the 5th Army (U.S.) and has a photo of Vesuvius erupting. He landed at Anzio and moved on up through Italy (Naples, Rome).

As to the question, I am stumped. Was thinking something to do with kilts.

Does it have to do with cleaning or polishing?

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

I think I caught a hint. Field Marshal Montgomery? He was known as Monty, wasn't he? Still not sure what the full Monty would be.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Only if you are polishing off a large breakfast, Cyn!! lol.

Both of the definitions came about in the 2nd WW. The first is my fav:
    Field Marshall Montgomery's insistence on eating a full English breakfast every day. Montgomery was universally known as Monty, and many English swear by this definition.

The second concerns British high street taylors Montague Burton, now called simply Burtons, who did a range of cheaper suits, with optional waistcoat. Having a Full Monty was going in and getting trousers, jacket AND waistcoat, especially if you were a soldier going back to civilian life.

And TM, it has come to mean going all the way, as in betting all of one's chips!!

Cyn, Vesuvius' last eruption was in 1944. Dad's medal depicts 2 volcanoes smoking, but I cannot find the name of the second - crazy. The date on the medal is October 1943 - it's too dark to see the date on it - lol.

So, for Bobbie and TM:
    {{gwi:599327}}{{gwi:599327}}{{gwi:599327}}{{gwi:599327}}

So, that was a tad lame - sorry. My attention span is shot, and I cannot wait to get on the table and get thsi gosh-darned thing fixed. Thanks for putting up with me. If I can, I'll chime in next week and see what TM has in store for you all.

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Hope everything goes well Nancy and wishing you a speedy recovery.

(((Hugs)))
    Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all for your good wishes.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I will be thinking of you all week, Nancy, and sending good thoughts and prayers your way. Thanks for the question and stars.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars, Nancy, and the fun question. Mongomery was a pistol, wasn't he? He and Ike definitely didn't see eye to eye, to say the least, and Montgomery made no bones about saying so --- often.

I'll see what I can come up with for next Sunday. I wish you the best for your surgery and recovery.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

That was another fun question, Nancy. I know you won't see this for a bit, but I will be thinking about you and sending good energy and wishes for a quick and easy recovery- and the end to all that pain!

Oh and could the other volcano be Mt. Etna? It erupted in 1944.

Hugs,
    Cynthia

Sponsored