Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning!

Three more days of school (two with students and checkout the final day). My brain switched to vacation mode sometime last week. I CANNOT wait. :)

Today is a language/word question for you. The most well-known/recognized word throughout the world is okay. Which word holds second place?

I will be back with clues...if you need them.

Cynthia

Comments (30)

• thinman
    10 years ago

You're getting an early start today, Cynthia, which is good, because I'll probably need the whole day to come up with a good answer.

Engaging brain ... now.

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Greetings, friends. The rain held off last night so I will do some planting today. Got a lot done yesterday but still much to do.
    Cucumber seeds rotted so I may buy a plant and sow another hill.
    Pole beans are starting to emerge.

I have an idea of the word though can use some clues.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 21:32

• auntyara
    10 years ago

good morning all,
    Hmm, There is a word that is the same in a few different languages.
    :) Laura

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bobbie, enjoy planting. Pure as sunlight is the kind of day we are having here, but I am being lazy. It is cool and lovely with a light breeze. Perfect for weeding! Also, perfect for sitting outside doing nothing. Refreshing.

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

I have no idea, in a way.

TM

• auntyara
    10 years ago

TM, I was thinking that too. Now I'm starting to wonder.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You can't beat the feeling. Still doing nothing. Right now, taking a pause in that for refreshment. Then back to doing nothing.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Hi All! I too am was up early, for me. It was my first real outing, other than Dr's appts. and grocery runs - I'm going to a charity dog wash, to start!! Second came a wake, so not too easy!

Second after okay, so an English word that has travelled well......I too need clues!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, did I tell you all that I am switching schools for next year? I am going back to an ED (Emotional Disturbance) center. Should be interesting-it is where I started (ED, not this school). Sometimes I wish I had majored in music and then I could teach the world to sing in perfect harmony. Instead, I teach kids not to through desks, etc. ;)

Nancy, glad you are up and out. You must feel glad to be getting out at last. A charity dog wash sounds like fun.

TM and Laura, are you thinking "Duh"? Not it. :) Keep thinking-relax, have something cool to drink.. I have been strangely thirsty all day. Wonder what I ate that had a lot of salt in it. Can't think of any reason other than that to be so thirsty.

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

How about...NO.

Annette

• auntyara
    10 years ago

i was thinking "no" also. I doubt that's it. Cyn,s too clever to ask this question with a simple answer, Unless she made it so simple we would all think we we're wrong. Clearly she is Sicilian!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

HAhahaha. Laura, you give me too much credit...also, not Sicilian-funny, that.

There are clues, but maybe too obscure. I thought of this when I heard an NPR story on Myanmar/Burma and how things are loosening up a little. Corporations are already falling all over each other to get in there.

So, think outside the box a little. If you just take a break, sit down with a soda, and relax for a bit, the answer may just jump out at you! Enjoy!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Might it be a product name?

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Think I have got it. Had a short downpour while I was out in the garden and came in soaking wet. Now I am relaxing and having a drink while listening to an old Glenn Yarbrough record. He gave a concert on my college campus and said he made more money on one little ditty than any other song.

• auntyara
    10 years ago

hahaha! wasn't sure if you'd get my "princess bride" reference.
    You never said it was an English word. I thought it was Ciao, Not any more. I like Bud light myself.
    :~) Laura (my drinking smile)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love The Princess Bride!

I do believe everyone is coming around now.It's the real thing.

Cynthia

• auntyara
    10 years ago

cyn, this is for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: a drink to the death!

• auntyara
    10 years ago

my flavored answer

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• thinman
    10 years ago

So Glenn Yarbrough wrote that jingle? I was thinking of the word no too, but I think I'm on the right track now. Should I go for the complete name, or the short version?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Giggling like an idiot here, Laura. Dizzying intellect- haha. I do love tat move. So silly.

Also, Lola s one of my all time favorite songs! For those links, you would get four stars today even if you were wrong...which you aren't!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Ahhh, so it is a famous brand name!! Does anyone remember 'Baby the rain must fall", with Steve McQueen??

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Glen Yarborough

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Yarborough sang the '"things go better with..." ,.

I was originally thinking, 'hi'.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the links, Nancy and Laura. When my son was a preteen (tween?) the Princess Bride was one of his favorites and we watched it over and over and over. Still hilarious!

Baby the Rain Must Fall is so apropos for me today, ha,ha. That song and bad boy Steve McQueen were definitely part of my early years. I liked the idea of bad boys but knew what kind of man a bad boy was likely to become so never dated or even considered dating one. Instead dated nice guys and found one of the nicest of the nice guys. DH and I recently celebrated 44 years together.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Hey Bobbie - I hear you about the bad boys - very intriguing, but......you are so fortunate to have had 44 years.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Woohoo! Four stars for everyone. Yes, Coca Cola/Coke is the second-most recognized word on the planet. There are only two countries in the world where Coke is not sold: North Korea and Cuba which are under U.S. trade embargoes. Ironically, Cuba was one of the first three countries outside the US to bottle Coke (1906), but the company moved out when Castro began seizing private assets in the 60s.

Coke was created in 1886 and got its biggest boost during WWII when it was provided to troops overseas. Interestingly, it was so strongly associated with American patriotism and seen as so crucial to the war effort that it was exempted from sugar rationing.

In France, you need to ask for Coca. Asking for Coke gets you a blank stare.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And the other two stars!

Thanks for playing. Oh, and here is a link to the various slogans through the years. My clues should become clearer once you read them. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Coke slogans

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the cool stars, Cynthia.

I remember reading somewhere that "Coke" became the word for any soda in some countries.

Yes, Nancy, I am fortunate.

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Cyn,
    Thanks for the stars and the fun!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, and Bobbie, congratulations on 44 years! That is something to be proud of-lots of hard work goes into a marriage. Hope you have 44 more joy- and laughter-filled years!

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

Fun stuff, Cynthia. The only slogans that really stuck with me were the ones from '63, '69, and '71. I guess they were at their best then. Or I was.

Thank you for the great question. You just keep coming up with them. :)

TM

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths