Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

Ah, another perfect Spring day here. I am about to head out to the deck to enjoy my tea and rosemary bread toast.

So, for today, I am turning to Michael Quinion and his World Wide Words newsletter we get online. This is a "no proof, but I like it" question, so rest assured you shall all be rewarded. If you all know it right off, we can do some more meanings of flowers with slightly less well-known ones. :)

What is the origin of the term, "skeleton(s) in the closet (cupboard)"?

Cynthia

Comments (17)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

My thoughts are going towards the medical profession.

Annette

• thinman
    9 years ago

I am almost positive that I heard this explained recently, so I'll have to go to work on my brain and see what I can shake out. Not much there to work with really, but I'll do what I can.

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

No idea on the phrase but like Annette's idea of the medical profession.

It poured last night and more is expected today and tomorrow so inside activities are a must. Hope the showers are scattered enough that the plant swap goes on as have potted up many plants to take.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 22:21

9 years ago

....another thought, something hidden in one's past?

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annette, that is the way we use it now, but you were on the right track with you first thought.

Heading out to the garden. Be back in a bit. Will let you contemplate along the lines of Annette's medical profession idea. I will say the phrase is very old-pre 1832!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

I suppose one might have hidden one's evil doing in a closet, when no one was looking......h. Must think More.

Nancy.

9 years ago

Well I know that way back when, it was hard for doctors to get cadavers for teaching purposes, so when they got hold of a skeleton they kept them hidden away in closets/cupboards out of sight so they didn't have to explain where they came from.

Annette

• thinman
    9 years ago

Annette, I like your answer! I haven't come up with anything on my own.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now, we have it! Nancy, it sounds like you are so close. I will wait a bit to see if you come back to make it a three-way agreement...

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I agree with Annette's answer of hiding the skeleton in the closet from the time when body snatching from graveyards and other illegal sources were where the medical professionals got their cadavers for educational purposes. Best not to have a skeleton in the open to prevent questions and being arrested.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Yes, I'll go with Annette's idea - makes sense. Annette, don't know your political stripe, but I just loved Bob Rae - my favourite quote from him was, I don't have any skeletons in my closet, they're all in my front room!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Woohoo! Four stars for all of you. Yes, From Michael Quinion's newsletter: A tale often repeated links the phrase to the difficulties surgeons faced, before the passing of the Anatomy Act of 1832, in obtaining cadavers for teaching students. They sometimes did so illegally, as the famous case of Burke and Hare made very public. After bodies had been thoroughly dissected, so the story goes, the surgeons had to hide the skeletons, as they were evidence of a crime.

He goes on to talk about several other tales, but I like this one, so there we are!

Happy Monday and thanks for playing. Even though the stars look a bit like aliens, they are supposed to be skeletons! :)

Cynthia, who has only (really, only?) 17 days of school left-yippee

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Double post-sorry

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by cyn427 on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 19:50

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Thanks for the question and wonderfully spooky stars.

I remember as part of a tour in Edinburgh, Scotland tales about graveyard body snatching and even the killing of people to supply cadavers for medical schools.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Thanks for the stars, Cynthia, though I don't deserve much for just hopping on Annette's coattails. You're a generous grader. :-)

Fun question and answer.

TM

9 years ago

TM....and I've never jumped on your coattails ? Whatever works LOL.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, it is often a team effort! That works for sure.

Cynthia

Sponsored