Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Triva: SaturdayGood morning

Good morning, all.

I am waking so early these days since the sun is up before 6:00 am and the birds are calling for the feeders to be replenished. I don't know how folks way way up north manage 24 hours of sunlight-or dark for that matter. That would be worse, I think.

Yesterday was field day at school and for once we had lovely temperate weather with a good breeze all morning. Lots of fun for all involved. It is a perfect morning for gardening, but since the private school down the street is holding graduation ceremonies today and everyone will be walking from the school to the ceremonies across the way at the Episcopal Seminary, I will wait to get out in the front yard. No need to show off how lousy and dirty I end up looking!

So, in honor of our field day when we no longer give medals or ribbons, do you know which country has won the most Olympic medals per capita in the history of the modern games? There are different countries listed for the summer games and the winter games, so give both or just summer which is what we are heading into this year.

Will be back with clues. Off to make sure I have things in order for the jaunt to Europe this summer.

Cynthia

Comments (24)

• thinman
    11 years ago

To have a shot at this one, I will definitely need a clue or three. I'm taking Europe as the first clue and trying to decide if the Episcopal Seminary is another.

Hanging around,
    TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, TM.

No, Episcopal Seminary wasn't a clue. Now, had I said Lake Wobegone high school where maybe they ski to school sometimes...

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

As a long time watcher of both winter and summer Olympics I think I know the answers to both. The clue above can be taken two ways and will give the answer for both.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Hmmm...is this an easy one?? Not sure if the obvious is the right answer, but I'm pretty sure Minnesota isn't a country!!

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

I helped a friend get her gardens at the front of her house fixed yesterday!! Lots of fun. They are slowly fixing up a 100+ year old house. The Shrub cedars at the front were DEAD!! Another friend with a chain-saw helped them get those out!! Whew, dodged that bullet!! Anyways, got some fun perennials and herbs, and created a nice 'border'. Good it was dark when I went home, cause I was 'wearing' lots of dirt!!

An ex-co-worker lives up in Nunavit now, where there is sun up at 3 am!! It is still snowing!! Just wanted to say.....

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

haha, Nancy. No, the Lake Wobegon reference was in response to the Episcopalian reference. The summer Olympic games country with the highest per capita medal total is mostly Lutheran.

Trying to think of good clues for the leader in the winter games. Although beautiful, I am not sure I would want to live there. It was the last country in Europe to give women the vote-the referendum in 1984 (!) passed with only 51.3% of the vote (only men could vote for or against it, of course). Oh, and it is one of only two doubly landlocked countries in the world (surrounded by landlocked countries). It is also the only nation to win a medal in the winter games but none in the summer games.

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Ahhhhh, Luthern you say, my hubby is of this decent so I'm pretty sure I know one of the countries :)

Annette

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Ooh, I missed the per capita part. That makes my first country wrong. But I also know which country was the last country in Europe to give women the vote. Think this country has also been known as a tax evading country for corporations and rich folk.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Harald Hardrada would probably have traveled through the summer one when he escaped to Kiev as a teen. Bobbie has the winter one for sure.

11 years ago

Shoot I was thinking Finland, now thinking of a country closer to the UK on the globe.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Now, Annette, teacher says trust your first answer...and read more closely-on his way to Kiev from Norway...TRUST YOUR FIRST ANSWER!!!!

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Hmmmm...I'm thinking of a country that regularly kicks the butts of our men's downhill team...no, wait, doubly landlocked does not work. Must be a 'newish' country, near Borat-land!! Need to try to 'picture' the map...

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Uzbekistan is the other one, Nancy. :)

11 years ago

OK, back to Finland for one, the other I haven't grasped yet.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Think small but not quite as small as Monaco, Annette.

Where is TM, that Prince of a guy, today?

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All day, I have been double-posting. I have no idea how that is happening.

Question: Why in the world would someone who has given up drinking want to hold on to all his old beer steins?

Cynthia

• thinman
    11 years ago

I've am still in the thick of planting flowers here, and did some baby-sitting tonight, but I'm checking in now before I check out for the night.

I kinda cheated and looked up principality. I had forgotten about the one that starts with L. Could that be the answer we are seeking?

Good night, all.
    TM

• thinman
    11 years ago

No stars for a cheater like me. :)

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

** for Annette, Bobbie, and Nancy for getting Finland (I think...)

Another ** for Bobbie who also knew Liechtenstein, so she gets a toatl of ****

TM, for picking up on my clue meant to lead everyone to principality and this making me feel clever that it was a decent clue, AND for being honest, *!

I do like the process of discovering new facts when researching questions. I had no idea that there were only two doubly landlocked countries in the world. Actually, I never heard that term before. Now, how to work it into a casual conversation some day...haha. ;)

When ranked by number of medals per capita, Finland leads the summer games with 17,982 inhabitants per medal and Liechtenstein leads the winter games with 3989 inhabitants per medal.

Have a marvelous day and thanks for playing. I have ten new hosta to plant and here we are heading for 90 degrees F. Ugh. Maybe I'll just plop them in a bucket of water until it cools down a little!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

No, no stars for me!! I couldn't figure out the per capita thing, and was miles away (figuratively and literally) from Lichtenstein!! Thanks for the brain teaser. I have finally posted my question.

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Thanks for my honesty star, Cynthia, and for the fun trivia, even though it was too hard for me. :)

It is supposed to hit 91 here today too, so I have been out transplanting this morning trying to beat the heat. Wearing my big straw farmer hat, I look like a tall skinny scarecrow out there, but it keeps the sun off. Unless I bend over, and of course I'm always bending over.

Thanks for the fun.

TM

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Thanks for the stars. I needed the clue for Liechtenstein as missed the per population and was thinking USA as most medals until then.

I think there is a glitch on GW as I am also double posting recently throughout the forums.

11 years ago

Thanks for the stars Cyn, DH's mom is Finnish, so Luthern was a big clue for me. The Fins are big on eating fish, went to a Finnish christening once, even the dessert item was some kind of fish dish, the first bite was rather a shock LOL.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My DH is a big fan of Finland and the Finns (of course, he is not a dessert eater, so what does he know? heehee). He attended the track and field world championships there years ago and left his really good camera in the stands when he left. That evening when he realized it, his friends assured him there was no need for worry, he could just go get it in the morning. To say he was skeptical is an understatement. He went the next morning and the people in the office or ticketbooth-can't remember exactly-had it. Someone had turned it in or an employee found it after everyone left. Nice, huh?

Bobbie, glad I am not the only one the double posting is happening to here. Thanks!

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County