Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning, garden friends.

Wow, did we get rain yesterday! It was great! Today, it is overcast, so maybe we will get more. I have things to plant, but I can't be out tramping around the yard when it is so soggy. Maybe I will plant a couple more containers.

So, today's trivia...I am looking for the name of a person, a woman to be exact. On April 20, 1995, she was laid to rest in the famed Panthéon of Paris. She was the first woman accorded that honor on her own merit. Sophie Berthelot is there as well, but only because of her husband. The Panthéon is dedicated "Aux Grands Hommes La Patrie Reconnaissante"
Among those "Great Men" are Voltaire, Rousseau, Hugo, Dumas, Jean Moulin, and Zola.

Is this too easy? Chuck got it right away. Uhoh.

Cynthia

Comments (24)

• thinman
    10 years ago

Hmmmm. I wonder if she was newly deceased in 1995 or was moved from another site.

TM,
    who doesn't even know what the Pantheon is.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Panthéon was originally the Church of St. Genevieve. A restoration begun under Louis XV was completed in 1789 after the revolution and became a monument and mausoleum for distinguished French citizens rather than a church. It was briefly returned to its role as a church twice since then.

TM, bet you don't even need clues!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Hoo - morning all - I need clues!! I have no idea, although if it was a re-internment, a name does pop to mind.
    We have been having Biblical rain here most of the week. Also our unseasonably hot weather has turned into unseasonably cool weather. Darn - just when I want to get out walking. I haven't even bought my tomato plants yet!!

Nancy.

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Good morning all,
    The rain has stopped :) We sure did need it, but now we need sunshine.
    Hmmm TM's clue has got me thinking.
    Does a family member of the singer Madonna, have a sort of connection to this person?

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

I need clues too.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I am waiting for clues as well.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

When I was visiting with DH I knew I should know this one as had read about it at the time. Ah,ha, a shiny bright light went off in my head, I do know this lady.

We bought a new car but couldn't find the titles to the two we traded in. They were locked up as are other important papers. Finally got the titles. Now we treat the new car with kid gloves. Imagine that will end in a month or so.

Her first name is the same as my middle name, which helped me when I was learning about her achievements.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 14:11

• thinman
    10 years ago

Might I think of this lady when I am welding?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well gosh. I have no idea if there is a connection to Madonna's family and I know so little about welding.

I went to my favorite nursery with a neighbor this morning. She wanted an Annabelle Hydrangea for her garden. I was.just looking. Ha! Like that ever works out-bought two dwarf boxwood euonymus (sp?) because she has them in her garden and they are fabulous. Also got a Sarcococca hookeriana. All are slow growing, so I hope I live long enough to see them at maturity. ;)

Now, should I plant or polish silver?

Oh...and it was a re-interment. It was François Mitterrand who, before ending his fourteen-year-long presidency, took this initiative, as he said "in order to finally respect the equality of women and men before the law and in reality" ("pour respecter enfin....l'égalité des femmes et des hommes dans le droit comme dans les faits"). In point of fact - as the press pointed out - this initiative was symbolic three times over. She was a woman, she was an immigrant and she had to a high degree helped increase the prestige of France in the scientific world.

Does that give it away?

Cynthia

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Ha! I was way off, as usual.
    Madonna's daughter's name is Lourdes, after st Bernadette. Well not really sure if she is a st or not.
    Welder??? Polish silver?? Need more clues.
    :) Laura

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Did this woman disguise herself as a man? Ugh!
    Never mind that 1st sentence.
    Duh! Got it. She married a Frenchman. She wasn't French.

This post was edited by auntyara on Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 17:10

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yay, Laura. So, a light in the dark has turned on...or just sort of glows...? Guessing you do have it.

There is a certain nobility to those dedicated to their work. She was most definitely a nobel person.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

I'm thinking MC? Is that correct?

Nancy.

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Nancy,
    I think so too. MC was Polish.

10 years ago

Yep, another vote for MC.

Annette

• thinman
    10 years ago

But, as you all say, MC was Polish. I don't get it.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

TM, don't worry. Citizens are not always native-born. ;)

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Marie Curie for me as well. I remember learning that she died from her work which made me wonder if I wanted to do scientific research after all. I ended up not doing anything with science professionally but my education has enriched my life and that of my son and many kids that I interact with and share my way of thinking and doing.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 3:06

• thinman
    10 years ago

No stars for me. I took Bobbie's shiny white light to mean an electric arc, so you know who I was thinking of. That's where my question about welding came from.

Great trivia question, Cynthia.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Four glowing radioactive stars for Bobbie, Annette, Nancy, and Laura.

Yes, Marie Curie is the woman who was given the honor of being placed in the Panthéon. She and Pierre had both been buried at Sceaux, outside Paris, but their bodies were moved in 1995.

I was always fascinated with her as a child. I had forgotten that Pierre died in 1906 when he was run over by a horse-drawn wagon at age 47. Marie died in 1935 of leukemia when she was 68.

I had also forgotten that Pierre liked to carry around a small piece of radium in his waistcoat to show to friends and Marie liked having a little radium salt that shone in the darkness on her bedside table. Their notebooks are still quite dangerously radioactive and anyone who would like to see them has to sign a waiver.

Marie won two Nobel prizes and their daughter also won one. The Curies' work made them both ill, but friends attributed their poor health to their working conditions at their drafty laboratory. They had no idea that the radium was making them sick. I am linking the article in case you would like to read it. Very interesting.

Thanks for playing everyone. You are all such good sports! I am about to head outside to dump mulch and soil conditioner...oh, and plant some things, too. Will check to see if today's trivia is posted yet, though. If not, will wander back later. Have a fun Sunday.

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Nobel committee article on the Curies

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Cynthia,
    Thanks for the stars and the fun! I once saw a docu, on Marie Curie as a kid. The only parts I remember was her discoveries made her sick and she was Polish. Thanks for the "polishing silver" clue :)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

I didn't remember the Polish part. I did wonder if their bodies were still radioactive when moved - hmmm. Show of hands: does anyone remember having a watch as a child, with the hands coated in radium, so that you could read the time in the dark??

Nancy.

10 years ago

It was Cyn's mention of "it just sorta glows" that did it for me , if I hadn't twigged to that I'd still be fumbling around in the dark, thanks for the stars :).

Annette

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thank you for the stars and link, Cynthia. It was enlightening.

Adyle Marie (Bobbie)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH