Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Sunday Trivia

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.

Today is June 19th. I am wishing that I were already on vacation. Two more days to go. My last day of school is our 14th anniversary and the first day of summer. We are celebrating by going to see the second installment of the director's cut of The Lord of the Rings on the big screen-saw the first last Tuesday and the third will be a week from Tuesday. We are such Tolkien fanatics. Guess we are getting old, too, when a movie is our big celebration-ha!

oh, and TM, I am very impressed that you were a math and science teacher and in HS no less. I knew you were smart, but wow, it takes someone very special to survive that!

Anyway, many things have happened on this date: Anne Boleyn was beheaded in 1536. In 1865, Federal troops informed the slaves in Texas of their freedom and that is celebrated as Juneteenth. Aung Sun Suu Kyi, the human rights activist and Peace Prize winner was born.

Most importantly, the first Women's Rights Convention convened in Seneca Falls, NY on June 19, 1848. Elizabeth Cady Stanton (only 32 years old at the time) and Lucretia Mott organized the convention which was attended by about 300 people including 40 men. Frederick Douglass was one of the speakers and he was the one who convinced the women to include the demand for suffrage (they were going to drop that from the list perhaps due to the fact that many of the attendees were Quakers and even Quaker men rarely voted). Anyway, the resolutions were all passed by the convention. Only one signer, Charlotte Wood,was still alive to cast her ballot in 1920 when women in the US were finally able to vote.

So, do you know which country was the first to give women the vote?

Comments (20)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

TM, I think you and I and perhaps all the rest of you chose the wrong occupations. This morning, our paper delivery man pulled into our driveway driving a big, beautiful Mercedes Benz. Wondering if I should retire and go into the business of paperboy!

• thinman
    12 years ago

The paper delivery people around here always drive old beaters, which is nice because we can usually tell when the paper has been delivered by the noise.

I think I came across the answer to this question one time when I was looking through trivia stuff, but I don't remember it for sure. The country that pops into my mind is a land in eastern Europe, but I may be totally wrong.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, and also, happy Father's Day! Usually, 'Father Knows Best", but you might want to rethink. :)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Me thinks I might know, if I'm right I have distant relatives that immigrated to this country way back when. I've always wanted to see the north part of this country. A plant I used to have in great numbers even one with blue pollen grows there :).

Annette, who is off to catch a ferry.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Well, I know that Canada was inline with the timing south of 49.....I think from where many of us came was more forward thinking. Must think a little more on this.

Happy FD to TM and all the other Fathers out there.

Nancy.

• thinman
    12 years ago

OK, first guess wrong. Must think more.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Annette, I think you are close, but not sure if you are exactly right. Hmmm...I'll have to look up plants with blue pollen.

Off to the movies with DH, DS, and his sweetie. I wanted to see Pirates of the Caribbean with Johnny Depp (I know, so pathetic, but he is fun to watch), but we are going to see Super 8. It is Spielberg, so should be good.

There was a clue way back, folks.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I know this one because I took a class on women's suffrage year's ago.

Though it has been many, many years ago, I remember well grading tests and finishing paper work and getting supplies organized during those last days of school and the freedom of those first summer days.

Last night as I finished the laundry I passed a bulletin board with a poster of "The Lord of the Rings" and thought of taking it down but decided to leave it up as I like looking at it and remembering both the movie and the many hours of reading and re-reading the Tolkien books with my young son. Wish I were seeing the film on the big screen with you, cyn, an epic story and great scenery from a beautiful country. I will have to settle for TNT during one of these rainy days.

Bobbie

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Ha, I think I've got it. Annette, blue pollen?? I have seen lavender pollen, on a tradescantia!! Interesting.

Nancy.

• thinman
    12 years ago

I'm out. I'm pretty sure what I just Googled gave me the answer.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, I am totally stumped by the blue pollen thing. How much fun is it that I am guessing something, too! I am thinking I should take the tour that highlighted the flora when we visited. Good excuse for another trip.

Thinking our love of gardens gives us something in common with hobbits.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

K, too much hobbit stuff. I am confused again!!!

Nancy.

• lorna-organic
    12 years ago

I hate to admit I have no idea which country first allowed women the right to vote. :-( Will be looking forward to the answer with interest!

12 years ago

The plant with blue pollen is f. procumbens, it's native to the country in question.

Just got home an hour or so ago. Spent the day in the big city (Vancouver), we went to see the show Wicked, what can I say it was fantastic, the staging, the cast, the costumes, the lighting, outstanding.

Annette

12 years ago

My guess was New Zealand :)

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Well, I was first going to say Scotland - Tolkien lived in the UK, and blue is synonymous with Scotland. Then Cyn mentioned the Mercedes, so I thought Germany might be the land of his birth......NZ was where the films were made. Like I said, too many hobbits - very confused. lol.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Woohoo for Annette and I think for Bobbie, too! Five stars *****

New Zealand gave women the vote in 1893.

Nancy, sorry about the Mecedes reference. I just realized that sounded like a clue, but I was honestly just stunned to see our "paperboy/man" driving it. Our guys usually have beaters, too, TM. We used to know when the paper was late to just wait because it meant he was having car trouble!

So now out of school and heading to NZ by way of the extended version at the theater tonight. Perfect way to celebrate our anniversary! Have a wonderful week all. I'll be back on Saturday with another question and Nancy will do Sunday.

• thinman
    12 years ago

Good questions, Cynthia! Thanks for the fun.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

BTW, Nancy, Tolkien was born in South Africa. I should have come up with a question about him, huh?

12 years ago

Thanks for the stars, feeling pretty pumped as I didn't need clues on this one. It's the old memory thing with me, sometimes I know the answers but they are buried so deep or on the way to my delete file I need clues/reminders as to where I filed them away LOL. Then there's the other times I'm so out in left field a stick of dynamite won't unlock the door or..... I just plain don't know the answer.
    Another fun weekend, looking forward to saturday.

Annette

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES