Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

Good morning Giddy Gardeners! Summer is here. Happily, it is cool again today, but we are getting slammed with heat and humidity tomorrow according to the weather folks. :(

So, only two questions for today and I need two because, as is often the case, there is some debate on this.

Going with sports.
1. Can you name the world's first international sport competition (not the ancient Olympics or anywhere near that old)?
2. Which sport claims the oldest international sports trophy?

Some claim the sport in #2 is the oldest international competition, but I thought I would go with what I found for the first question for that.

Be back in a bit. We are planning to give ourselves a new Cornus kousa for our anniversary and need to head out before the wild one arrives.

Cynthia

Comments (22)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Oh Boy, I need clues here, something popped into my mind for #2 but I'm sure it's wrong. I just watched the movie 'Wind' LOL.

Annette

• thinman
    9 years ago

No guesses here yet, though my mind, flailing around for some kind of answer, goes to the international competition going on now. I'm sure it won't be that easy though.

A Cornus kousa sounds great. They are said to be hardy in our zone, but after last winter, I am thinking of adding only trees or shrubs that are rated Zone 4.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not the World Cup, but you could say you are half-right. ;)

Annette, think you have #2!

Maybe if I give you the hint that #1 was a competition between the US and Canada.

Cynthia

• thinman
    9 years ago

Ahh, I do believe I now have number 2. The necessary equipment has never been cheap and has now become very expensive. Not a poor man's sport.

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I am wondering if #1 involves a much smaller ball?

Haven't seen the movie Wind but it brings two sports to mind and TM's clue narrows that to one sport.

A quick shower passed through, barely enough to wet the green, green grass. Will do some planting after a quick lunch.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 13:12

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The cool air we have had this weekend has been perfect gardening weather. Also perfect for no ac and open windows. Love the night insect sounds and the morning birdsong.

Sounds as if all of you have #2 now.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

The oldest cup gives me pause, thinking of two cool weather competitions. Hmmm.

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Ahh, international, but just barely!! lol. I think I have 2. Now, the 1st, not sure - but maybe an inkling.

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

I have a thought for number 1. What I am thinking of is a team sport with six players on each team.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, TM, there are 11 players on each team. You are batting .500.

Bit of a sticky question, isn't it?

Now, have I given it away? :-)

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I think you gave it away to me.

Have been working outside. There have been slight showers now and then, just enough to make me damp, not enough to quit but I have to be careful with my footing not to slip. Out I go again.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

See, I was thinking 6 a side for the oldest cup. Now i am confused. the Grey Cup is oldest, but not international.....hmmm.

Nancy.

9 years ago

If #1 is what I think it is I played on a all girl team in grade 7. Only one year tho the teachers said we played too rough :).

Annette

• thinman
    9 years ago

Although American football has 11 players on the field, I'm sure that can't be it. The sticky clue made me think of a team sport that shares a word with croquet, though I don't know how many players are on a side.

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

1. Hockey
    2. Sailing/yacht racing. Are they the same?

9 years ago

#1 Soccer ???
    #2 America cup

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Sticky makes me think of cricket. Wind make me think of sailing - America cup?

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Woohoo, Nancy! Even though you were probably dealing with all sorts of testy Americans, you have earned four stars!

Two stars for TM, Annette, and Bobbie, unless you played on an all-girl cricket team, Annette!

A cricket match between Americans and Canadians took place in 1844 (seems odd to say Americans and Canadians when we are all Americans actually). I will link the info on that first and then add the answer to #2 along with stars in the next post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cricket game

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For this one, the oldest international trophy is the "auld mug" that is the America's Cup trophy.

Thanks for playing everyone. May the rest of your week be marked by fair winds and following seas. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: America's Cup trophy

• thinman
    9 years ago

Sticky made me think of cricket too, as in sticky wicket, right? Wicket is the connection I was hinting at when I mentioned croquet.

Thanks for the weekend fun, Cynthia. I enjoyed the questions!

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Thansk Cyn - as always, Fun!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

How did I miss "night insect sounds" clue? Don't know enough about cricket to know how many players are on the team or that the bat is called a sticky widget. Edit: wicket

Thanks for the fun question and laughs.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 1:16

Sponsored