Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning everyone!

Having lots of storms here last night ushered in clean air and cool temperatures. It is one of those perfect mornings.

Note: this next part is not, REPEAT, NOT a clue: I was so excited/sad yesterday morning when I went out to change the water in the bird baths. There was a small snake in one of them-black on top, light underneath. I suppose he was just a small garter snake of some sort, but sadly , he had drowned. This is the first time I have ever seen one in our yard! I would love to have a black snake that would rid me of the chipmunks! Not sure how they would fare with the dogs, though.

So straight to triva since I want to get cleaning done and get outside before things heat up.

In September 1066 there were two important invasions in Europe. One I suspect we all know since the date was seared into our memories in high school, but can you identify the other (gotta love the History channel which I watched last Sunday-ha)? One led to a new power being established and the other led to the end of another power. Also, interestingly, there is a connection between the two. More on that later.

I'll be back with clues if you need them. I found this interesting because I had no idea these occurred in the same month!

Cynthia

Comments (16)

• thinman
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh me, history is not my long suit at all. All I remember is something about some guy named Norman.

Our air here is clean and cool today too. It's 48 F cool and being cleaned even as I type. Just like yesterday. No gardening for me this weekend.

It seems odd that a snake would drown in a bird bath. Maybe he was about to expire from other causes and just happened to be there when it came to pass. Any peck marks on it?

Waiting for much-needed clues.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Uh-oh! Knew that all that wretched European history would pay off, if only I'd remember it!! One, yes, is easy, but the other.....I need clues!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah, yes, TM, good old Norman. ;) My family traces back to that invasion on my paternal grandfather's side. My paternal grandmother's side goes back to the other if we went far enough back. At least, it is the same region if not the same country. No wonder granddad's family settled on the water on Virginia's Eastern Shore. They were always watermen!

So, to continue on about the weather...Last night we had so much thunder. I really do enjoy storms as long as there is no damage to homes or people. As far as I know, the gods spared the area, although they did put on quite a show. Sorry today won't be a gardening one for you, TM, but isn't it wonderful to have rain!

Nancy,I actually never learned about this second one in any of my History classes! Took an afternoon of it being too hot outside to get me to turn on the History channel and watch as I passed through doing other chores.

One other clue or hint: 300 boats embarked on this invasion and only 24 returned. With this defeat, the High Middle Ages began and the era of these people ended. Still, they influenced many cultures and actually settled in and became a part of the lands they invaded unlike the Romans.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

I know this one from my summer spent in Scotland and northern England in the early 80s. These warriors had a fierce reputation but were defeated handily in battle when the invading King was killed. These invaders were also the reason for the many fortified castles in the area. I think this invasion came before the Norman invasion.

After several very cool days with high temps in the low 60s we hit 74 yesterday and another beautiful day ahead. I spent a couple of hours deadheading and pulling weeds yesterday. Today a friend is coming over to help plant some large pots and the bean and cuck seeds planted.

• thinman
    11 years ago

A bell just rang. Does this story involve a typhoon?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not sure about a typhoon. However, a different group of those guys we talked about last week (trivia about tides) fell victim to these invaders in the late 8th century marking the beginning of the age named for them.

Part of the reason for their defeat in 1066 was because they didn't think they would need their heavy armor and were collecting tribute from the locals as they moved inland. The English army marching to meet them was heavily armored.

Yes, this event did occur three days before the landing of William in England. The Battle of Hastings defeated King Harold on October 14th.

Hey, TM, you wouldn't happen to live in Minnesota would you?

Cynthia

• thinman
    11 years ago

Nope, I'm not, but the Vikings are. Is that where you were steering me?

I was thinking of the Mongol fleet that attacked Japan but got wiped out by a typhoon. I just looked it up and it happened in 1266, so I was off by a couple of centuries - not bad for me.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I love football! :)

• thinman
    11 years ago

So it sounds like the Vikings attacked someone and lost big-time. I'm guessing that there is more to be said. :)

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

I remember the family motto of one of them: "I got mine". lol. My maternal grandmother, from Yorkshire, has a name, Gludhuil, that came from this lot!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

**** for Nancy, Bobbie, and TM!

Yes the first invasion of England in 1066 was by the Vikings led by Harald Hardrada, their king. Harald was an interesting fellow. According to the History Channel's Barbarians series, he was the half-brother of Norway's King Olaf II and was with him when he was killed. Harald fled to Kiev for several years. He learned a lot about how invaders can become part of the fabric of another society. When he returned to Norway, his nephew was on the throne and he convinced him to share power and became king two years later when his nephew died.

Edward the Confessor died in 1066 (he had seized the English throne back from the Norwegian Harthacnut in 1042. Harthacnut was the son of the Viking King Cnut who had ruled England from 1016 - 1035)and Harald claimed that his father and descendants had been promised the English throne by King Hardicanute, who ruled England between 1040 and 1042.

In 1066 Tostig, the brother of Harold of Wessex, went to Norway to meet King Harald. The two men agreed to invade England and in early September around 300 ships sailed along the coast and did some plundering, including the burning of Scarborough. They entered the Humber and on September 20, 1066 defeated Morcar's army at Gate Fulford. Four days later the invaders took York.

When Harold was told by a messenger that Harald Hardrada of Norway had invaded with the intentions of conquering all of England, it is said that the king replied: "I will give him just six feet of English soil; or, since they say he is a tall man, I will give him seven feet!"

On September 25th, Harold's army arrived in Yorkshire. He took Tostig and the Vikings by surprise at a place called Stamford Bridge. The Vikings had decided to collect tribute from the English rather than enter into battle with them. This may be due in part to the lessons Harald had learned in Kiev about becoming part of the people you conquer. Apparently, it was a hot day as well, so for those reasons, the Norwegians had taken off their byrnies (a mail shirt that reaches the mid thigh). Harold and his English troops devastated the Norwegians. The Vikings were able to hold them off for a while and the story says one soldier held the bridge for a time until one of the English soldiers sneaked under the bridge and stabbed him from below. Ouch. Both Hardrada and Tostig were killed.

Harold Godwinson had to cut short his celebratory banquets, however, when he learned the Normans had landed on England's south coast. The Normans were, of course, actually Vikings who had settled in France. The link is a quick, fun read with some more interesting tidbits. Enjoy.

So, since my father's side of the family can be traced back to the Normans and Sweden (grandmother was a Lind, hence my dad's middle name by which he was called), I guess I am half-Viking! Still have to root for the Packers in football, though! :)

Have a delightful Sunday all. I am heading out to fend of the invading weeds. I shall prevail!

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: short fun bio

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

lol. thanks for the stars, though I was late to the party!! My ancestors name became Gledhill, but it did start as noted above, and all Gledhills come from Yorkshire. Fun with genealogy!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Thanks for the barely-deserved stars, Cynthia. It sounds like Harald's Vikings may have softened up Harold's army for the Normans. Interesting, what you can learn on the History Channel.

Thanks for the fun.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yep, they say the forced march from York to Hastings rather did them in!

As to barely-deserved stars...it is nearing the end of the school year and grades are already due, so easy does it from here on out.

Please ignore the prepositions at the ends of my sentences. Teachers get tired, don'tyaknow!

Cynthia

• thinman
    11 years ago

Right, Cynthia. Watch those prepositions. That is the kind of thing up with which we will not put. (Churchill, right?)

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Heheheh. Thanks!

Oh and re: snake, TM. I didn't notice if there were any marks on it. Of course, didn't have on my glasses, so hard to be sure.