Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

thinman
10 years ago

Good day, dear cottagers. We're having a real streak of dry weather here and a lot of our grass is getting toasty looking. I hate to use good water on the lawn, but I do reluctantly water the front yard, leaving the side yards and back yard to take care of themselves. My veggie gardens have irrigation tubing, so they aren't suffering.

None of that has anything to do with today's trivia, which is about higher education. What country do you think has the most educated citizens? By that I mean, in what country would you find the highest percentage of citizens with university or college degrees?

I'll tell you that Israel is number 2 and Japan is number 3.

Thoughts?

TM

Comments (13)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Good Morning TM!! sunny this am, but there are grey clouds at the horizon - we are having tooo much rain. Two weeks ago, the weather people said that of the last 30 days, we had had 22 days of rain! It is green here, but not too many flowers yet. My Shiraz peas (pictures to follow) just exploded into bloom and fruit in the last week. Last year, when we were having a drought, the fire department in Ottawa actually recommended keeping your grass watered, so it wouldn't become a fire hazard.

My first guess would be a Scandinavian country, to be named later - lol. Interestingly, the local papers said that our area of Canada was now the most educated in our country! Huh!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

My first thought was the same as Nancy's, but maybe that is too easy. Could it be a very small country?

Cynthia

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry I'm a little late with clues. I just got back from fishing, which I sure hope I get better at. Soon.

You are both in the right hemisphere (north), but, surprise, the country we're looking for isn't Scandinavian. It isn't a very small country, being 36th in the world in population, according to Wikipedia.

Let that simmer in your brains for a little while.

TM

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The country is 228th in population density. (Lowest density is in 243rd place.)

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

We are back from the wedding and a stop at the MN Arboretum on the way home. Had a good day and enjoyed seeing the display gardens at The Arb. Hot and still out there today. Thinking it might be a bit cooler north. Yesterday was cool, mid70s with a very light breeze, a good day for a wedding.

Thought it might be Greenland or Iceland but think those are Scando countries so am looking closer to home.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Any yodeling going on there? Should we stay in the Eastern hemisphere or head to Asia? The mind boggles. How about waltzing? Or polkas?
    I should stop. Need more clues...obviously.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Geez, that population thing kinda hits close to home!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Oh, Canada.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bobbie, I saw what you did there. :)

What do you have if you have a country with a sizable population, but a really low population density? A big country! Like, for instance, our friend Canada.

Four maple leaves and a tip of the mortar board for Nancy and Bobbie:

{{gwi:605217}}

Cynthia, sorry I didn't get back last evening with another clue. I'm sure one more would have done it for you. :) I was having a hard time coming up with a clever enough clue.

TM

P.S. The U.S. is number 4.

This post was edited by thinman on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 7:47

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Thanks for the Maple leaves TM - very apropos as today is our fete national - Happy Canada Day!! There must have been a larger theme to that radio article. Yea, we're number 3!!

See you all next week! - and Happy July 4th to my American friends.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

No worries, TM. I am not at all surprised by the answer, but it would have taken more clues to get me there. Good question!

Happy Canada Day, Nancy and Annette!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

This is a picture of the flower of the Shiraz peas - the pods are the darker purple colour, and the vines are quite prolific, with our funky weather.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the colorful maple leaves, TM. Caught me, eh?

Happy waning hours of your Canada Day celebration, Nancy.
    Pretty dark blossoms on your peas. I will look those up. We grow purple pole beans and green pole beans. They were planted late due to the rains and are not blooming yet, still quite short but working their way up the wire fencing. Once they are well leafed out the deer come and eat many of the leaves. Meanwhile they bloom and set beans while the leaves grow back. The deer munching sets them back a bit but they still produce enough for us and some to share with the neighbors.

Sponsored
Wassenaar + Winkler
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Collaborative, Client-Focused Architectural Firm in Waynesboro