Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Saturday Trivia

Good morning all!

Today, I am looking forward to the end of school year! I am going into school to pack up my room and then on Tuesday I will be able to check out and leave. Yippee!

Anyway, before I go, here is your question for today. What everyday product has received the most amount of engineering and research?

Short and simple, huh? I will be back later to see if you smarties need clues. Hope your day is as nice as ours-cool and sunny. Great gardening day-which I will do when I get home.

BTW, no clues here yet. ;)

Cynthia

Comments (17)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Wow, Cyn - no clue here either!! lol. I am off to work - I will discuss it there, to see if anyone has any ideas!

Happy Saturday, All.

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Definitely need clues on this one.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah, pretty vague question, I know. Here is some added information. The engineering and research that has gone into this item/product has focused on how to make it stronger while at the same time making it lighter.

Got a lot done at school and I think I can finish the moving/packing on Monday. I share an office with another special ed teacher and two ESOL (English Speakers of Other Languages-really, can schools make it any more complicated?) teachers and I am moving into a place where an ESOL teacher needs to move out of, so I can put stuff on her built-in shelves.

I will be back later. I cannot think of any really good clues for you that aren't too obvious. I can say that you absolutely can figure this out, though.

Cynthia

• thinman
    12 years ago

Boy, do I remember the joy of the end of school, especially when my salary finally got up to the level where I didn't have to find a summer job to make ends meet. Even when I did have to work in the summer, it was always so nice to have a low-stress job with no after dinner work to do each night.

I'm cogitating hard on today's trivia question.

ThinMan

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have faith in you, TM. You're such a can-do kind of guy-I know you'll solve it! Didn't know you were a teacher, too! Yes, it is nice to be where it isn't necessary to work in the summer anymore. What did you teach?

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

"everyday product has received the most amount of engineering and research"

That phrase sounds familiar but I could not remember to what it referred. I think with your clue I know. Will think on it awhile longer as I have my dinner pizza and Pepsi.

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

well here I am, finally. My first thought when you said 'making it stronger and lighter', is that it is a vehicle of some kind--car/van. If there are clues in any of the above posts, then I am missing them completely! :-)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nice job, mnwsgal!

Not a vehicle, gg. That is a good thought, though, and there is a connection.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Why am I suddenly thinking of Graduates???? or one in particular....

Nancy - who does not really know!!!!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nancy, you are too funny. Are you thinking plastics? Sorry, not this time. Did you read mnwsgal's post? Good clue there.

Cynthia-who should be better with clues. I do have a really good one for tomorrow's trivia, though-lol.

• thinman
    12 years ago

Thanks to Bobbie's and Cynthia's hints, I have a guess. What I'm thinking of used to be made out of steel, needing a special tool for access.

Cynthia, I taught high school math and science.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Ahhh - now I get it - no more church key????

Nancy.

12 years ago

Oh sheesh, all I can come up with is a door.

Annette

• lorna-organic
    12 years ago

I'm thinking it is a product many people commonly refer to by a brand name. (Years ago only one company made this product, now several companies market the product.) The product is very handy to have in hand when one sneezes.

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

aluminum cans?? (for the pepsi :))

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

***** Five stars for TM, Bobbie (mnwsgal?), and Nancy! It is the aluminum can!

GG, I'll give you a star, too, since aluminum has made cars lighter. *

Now for more trivia on the subject:

Aluminum is the most abundant metallic element in the Earth's crust. Did you know that four six-packs can hold a 4,000 lb. aluminum bodied sedan (yea, GG)? The US has recycled enough aluminum cans to stretch to the moon and back eight times. Recycling saves 95% of the energy used to make a can from virgin ore. Recycling aluminum creates 97% less water pollution than producing new metal from ore. Recycling one can conseves enough energy for 3 hours of tv. The average American family recycles 900 cans per year (wow). Finally, the energy saved each year through recycling could light Washington DC for 3.7 years-not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing! ;)

I will practice adding real stars for you before next week.
    Thanks for playing all!

Oh, and Lorna, I grew up in a house where calling tissues Kleenex was strictly forbidden-Dad worked for Scott Paper! We called them Scotties! Funny. Great company, though-they threw the best parties at Christmas for all the employees and their families. It was way cool to be in the plant in Chester, PA and see all the floor-to-ceiling sized rolls of paper. The gifts were pretty great, too! One year, we were given Schwinn bikes. Scott Paper is the reason I was born in Wisconsin-Dad was transferred out there for two years. Still have fond memories of that company.

12 years ago

What can I say, when you're not in the groove, your not in the groove LOL. Good one Cyn.

Annette

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?