Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning Cottagers!

Not too early this morning. I have been lazy this week and not getting up until 8:00 even though I still wake up at 6-6:30. I love it!

So for today, I came across a list of inventions that have never needed to be changed or modified much from their original form. The snap mousetrap we all recognize is one such thing as is the paper clip-good story there for later!

Anyway, one invention was developed by two Jersey boys (okay, men-engineers to be specific, but I love that they are from N.J.-guess it is an East Coast thing). This was developed in 1957 and intended by the inventors to be used as wall paper (seriously, only someone from Jersey would think of this). Didn't become quite the rage they hoped, but they did brand it in 1960 and by 1964, they had developed a new use for it. Ideas?

Clues to come.

Cynthia

Comments (19)

• thinman
    10 years ago

This sounds familiar, but I haven't nailed it down yet. It may come to me soon, but more likely, I'll need a clue.

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I need clues. We are leaving soon for a weekend trip to South Dakota for a wedding. Don't know if we will have an Internet connection. I will check back as I am able and for sure sometime Sunday. This is an interesting questioning.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Good Morning, All. I am stiff from my new exercises! This is a good thing!!!

I have an idea rattling round in my brain - perhaps I need to stick it down? Clues would help!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I went out to pull some weeds after last night's storms, but it is too doggone hot. I wish I had an air-conditioned bubble that I could walk around in on days like this!

Would it help to tell you the wall paper was tactile?

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

Got it.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To continue the Saturday saga...

So, I came in and turned on the tv. Nothing worthwhile on today. For some reason (this question maybe?), I have been thinking about The Graduate. One word in particular springs to mind.

Aw, TM, I need to be more clever, huh?

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

OK, thought I knew, now I'm confused. Plastic? I guess the item(s) I was thinking of is/are made of plastic, just not the first thing I think of about it.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alfred Fielding and Marc Chavannes didn't give up when their wallpaper idea didn't work. Another rejected use was as insulation for greenhouses!

You know, one of the lovely things about vacation is that I need no stress relieving activities.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

OK, now I am totally confused!! lol. Where are Bobbie and Annette when I need them?

Nancy - off for another longish, for me, walk.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Are you cushioning your joints when you walk, Nancy? I bought Chuck MBTs years ago when he was having so much pain-he would come home almost unable to walk. In an attempt to forestall surgery we tried those shoes and they helped him a lot. Expensive, though. He has never worn the sneakers but did wear the ones that look more like dress shoes to work. They are funny looking, but really do make a difference for us (I need new ones, but can't bring myself to spend the money. I'd rather buy plants!). Now, he just wears those air-cushioned insoles, or maybe they have gel in them. Not sure. I'd go with air-cushioned.

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

In fact, this stuff is actually used for greenhouse insulation today. It wraps everything in a nice cozy blanket.

Those guys were not so crazy.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Aaahhhhh, stress-relieving, but annoying activities, Cyn. I'm beginning to see the light!

Cyn - I seem to have so few real joints left, they came cushioned!! lol.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Popping in once more even though I believe you both have it.

Before they perfected this, their prototype was made with two shower curtains. No wonder that wallpaper didn't catch on!

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Bubble wrap? Think that would make ugly wallpaper. Will be off line most of today, Sunday, again. Thanks for the fun, Cynthia. I needed all the clues.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Four bubbles for all of you! Yes, bubble wrap is the answer.

From the MentalFloss website:

In the late 1950s, Alfred Fielding and Marc Chavannes had a brilliant idea, perfectly suited to the aesthetic of Space Age design: plastic, three-dimensional, tactile wallpaper! For only the heppest of cats to decorate their swinging pads with! Sadly, sealing together two plastic shower curtains with air trapped inside just didnâÂÂt have the trendsetting effect they were hoping for. So, like many good innovators, they turned their bust into brilliance by simply changing their goal. Forget wallpaper. In 1964 they patented their "Method for Making Laminated Cushioning Material." Thus bubble wrap became a way to keep your rare Tasha Yar figurines safe during shipping, and also the cheapest form of repetitive therapy to soothe the pain of knowing sheâÂÂll never love you.

Be sure to read about the paper clip. I love that.

Thanks for playing!
    Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Don't Change a Thing

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just couldn't resist this.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Love it!! Too much fun - thanks Cyn. I do like a good bubble wrap pop.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Pop,pop,pop. Fun to pop those bubbles. The ubiquitous paper clip that can never be found when I need one.
    Thanks for the bubbles, Cynthia, I'm off to wrap myself in another kind of bubble.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 0:19

• thinman
    10 years ago

It's a little late, but thank you, Cynthia once again, for your clever and fun choice of trivia questions. I always look forward to seeing what you have for us each Saturday.

TM

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus