Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's a Small World: Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Posted by thinman Z5 MI (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 27, 10 at 9:12

Let's see if I can make it a little more challenging today.

What is this object?

ThinMan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's a Small World: Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Mornin' TM, I've been staring at this thing for about 15 minutes, it makes me think of ice, and cold, and I wish to h*ll it would warm up around here. Looking out the window it looks like another overcast day. Sure a different year to last year, oh well, the fuchsias are loving it but, I don't think we're going to get many tomatoes last year we had way more then we could use. OK nuff whining. I think you've given us a toughie this time, must give this some more thought.

Annette

o

I'm thinking, I'm thinking! Looks like it is made of poi de soie fabric. Probably a cell or an atom or a molecule, or perhaps a small, small animal, but it almost looks like a lampshade.

Some kind of ice crystal, maybe.

I'm thinking.

o

Moring all.

Annette, it is supposed to be close to 100 degrees here today. I would gladly trade a little with you, so we would both be happier!

TM, this is tough. I will keep thinking. It does look like ice, but the shape is throwing me off. Back to staring since it is too darn hot to be outside-barely made it through the walk with the pups early this morning!

Of course, that was more difficult than usual because we are puppy-sitting for DS and his sweetie and Koda is becoming very strong, but not terribly disciplined. Walking all three is an exercise in yanking, pulling, and teaching to sit when the youngster spots something to chase! HA. Bet we were funny to watch. Not my usual pleasant morning meander!

Cynthia

o

Good-morning everyone.

I am familiar with that image.
Everyone is thinking in the correct direction. It's super magnified.

Libby

o

Libby's probably a degree or two warmer than me, we seem to be stuck in the 60's during the day and the 40's at night, fahrenheit not celsius (hate celsius with a passion) and it looks like this is going to be the way it is for the next week at least. I'd settle for the low 70's, please, pretty please.

Annette

o

well I wasn't going to jump in as I think I am way off base but with the hint from Libby, I am going to say it is an ice crystal.

o

That was supposed to be morNing all. Hmmm...

Okay, putting all our thoughts together, I am going to guess that it is part of an ice crystal because I think of them as more complex-maybe made from a number of those like the one in the picture.. Since it is hexagonal, that would fit.

o

Well here's my final answer, it's an 'Ice Thingy' possibly the remnants of a very tired ice cube in an adult beverage.

Annette

o

Hint: Winter White (often seen at lower magnification)

Libby

o

Cynthia and Janie might enjoy seeing more objects like this right about now where they live, at least for a short time. It's an ice crystal, all right, but more than that, it's a snowflake. Snowflakes come in as many as 80 different basic shapes. We all picture the basic star-like shape when we think of them, but there are also plates, needles, columns, prisms, and more. The kind in the photo is called a capped column. The column part grows first, and then, if it gets blown to a different part of the cloud where plates are forming, the plates grow on the top and the bottom.

I'm going to say for Annette, Janie, Cynthia, and Greylady.

for Libby, who knew it was snow, I think.

Thanks for playing trivia, my friends.

TM

o

Neat! Does anyone say that anymore???

Now, I am off to find pics of different types of snow flakes-never to old to learn! Thanks, TM.

o

Thanks you for the stars! 9 out of ten--I can live with that :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here