Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday

{{gwi:605373}}
I love these birds - I really love them. Fierce, independent. And a real sound of summer for me. My great delight to moving to this house was to discover that there are a pair of loons on the river nearby, and I hear them quite often. So, in their honour, a trivia-light this week.

1. Which American state and Canadian province have the loon as their symbol?

2. Why do loons have red eyes?

3. Loons can take off from either land or water. True or False.

3. Loons are able to dive deep and stay underwater for long periods of time. How long?
a. up to 30 minutes.
b. up to 15 minutes.
c. not that long, we just don't usually see where they come up because they are shy.

5. Loon legs share a characteristic with boat propellers - what is that?

There you go - some easy, some silly, some odd. Let's see how you do with them. I've added some loon calls at the end to get you in the mood.

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Chorus of Loons

This post was edited by midnightsmum on Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 12:27

Comments (14)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I LOVE loons! I have a stuffed one (not taxidermy-kid's stuffed type) that makes a call when you push the button. So cool.

I do not however know all these answers. :( Need clues for #1 at least. Guesses for the others, but will watch for clues to confirm. :)

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

I know part of #1 and think I know #3 and have a few guesses for the others.

Annette

• thinman
    9 years ago

Loons are very unhappy that we have taken their name and now use it to mean a crazy person. They cry about this constantly, which, of course, is the answer to number 2. I'll bet I'm the only one who gets this right.

I don't think I know the answer to either number 3, and I'll have to think about 1 and 5.

:-)

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Because I know part of the answer to #1 you might think I would know them all. Alas, if I knew them before they are gone to time.

Love your answer to #2, TM.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

{{gwi:605374}}
    There was a joke that our government had a nerve to put a bird on our dollar coin known for it's ability to dive deep and stay down a long time - not that long, it now appears.

They say loons have different sounds, or dialects - the same a many northern people might differ in their pronunciations.

We need a new clicker for our TV - the infared eye is not working and the cable box can't read it. bummer.

In the article I read about loons, the expert says it is actually quite easy to band the loons, because of the positioning of their feet.

Hmmmm....

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

1. Could it be that the state and province are neighbors? I know the state isn't Michigan, as our state bird is the robin. Maybe MN and Ontario?
    2. Got that covered already. No? I think the infrared was a clue, which sounds like it may point to night vision. I'll be interested to hear about this.
    3. Going with false on this one, because of (5).
    3. I'm liking answer (c), though it's just a guess.
    5. Are the legs situated considerably to the rear of the bird?

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

TM, 4 out of 5 ain't bad!! Especially for a guy who shouldn't guess!!

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

#1 Ontario and maybe Minnesota?
    #2 Too many late nights? Really don't have a clue with this one.
    #3 False
    #3/4 C?
    #5 I'll go with TM on this one, sounds good:).

Annette

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

1. Minnesota and Ontario. (With help from Annette)
    2. Since they are divers I think it is to see underwater.
    3. false
    3 again (4) I think it is much shorter than 15 mins. So will go with c though don't know about not seeing them surface
    5. Don't know... TM's answer sounds good

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

1. Minnesota and Ontario-was going to go with B.C., but will go with the smart folks instead.
    2. I will go with the night vision thing. To see each other from afar?
    3. False. Very awkward on land and they need a very long water runway to take off from-THAT I do know!
    4. B- would go with c, but don't think the comment is accurate, so...even though I don't think they usually stay down too long, maybe they can.
    5. Definitely-legs way at the back of their bodies.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lol - you guys are good, even with minimal clues!! Sorry about that - we suddenly ended up with people coming for dinner so had to run around, shop and get a bbq ready. Then of the 3 expected only 1 showed up. Not happy. Oh well.

1. Yes, I believe you all got it - they are the symbol of both Ontario and Minnesota

2. The belief is that it helps them see underwater. Loons have extremely good vision both underwater and on top of the water. Amazing, since the optics are completely different.

3. Loons don't fly very well at all. They are built to dive and catch fish, with heavy bones and dense muscles. In order to become airborne they need long lakes, and they cannot take off from land.

Oops - this should have been 4 - clever, you all figured that out!! It is believed they stay down up to 15 minutes. they have a very efficient respiratory system, with air sacs and one-way air flow through the lungs. The blood flows the other way, and they can extract 90% of the oxygen from the air.

5. Loon legs are at the back end of the bird, like a boat propeller. About once an hour they preen, and to do so, roll over and wave their legs in the air. Their toes are equipped with claws, which makes banding them quite difficult. Scientists catch them in a fish net and put a towel over their heads. This also enables them to do the 'penguin dance', when they rise up out of the water, flapping their wings.

So, I think I only fooled you on 4, or 3 part deux. So for everyone;

{{gwi:605376}}{{gwi:605376}}{{gwi:605376}}

Thanks for playing. See you all next week.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Thanks for the loon coins and trivia question and info about loons, Nancy.
    Enjoyed listening to the vocalizations at the link.

The Mn state quarter has a loon in the foreground.

Here is a link that might be useful: MN State Quarter

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Loons are just so cool. We used to hear them on Lake Winnipesaukee when I would pick up John from camp in the summers.

This was so much fun! Thanks for the loonies.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Wow, they can stay under water for 15 minutes. That's pretty amazing.

It was fun to learn about loons, Nancy. Thanks for the education.

TM

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths