Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday

Well, good morning Cottagers!! We had some pretty significant rain this week, but I am hoping it holds off today! Picked up a few plants on sale yesterday, so want to do a bit of fill in!!

Hmm...let's see - how to do this and not give it all away:

His name means nobody, and he is one of literature's most famous anti-heroes. Who am I talking about?

I'lI will be back with clues, cause I hope that you need them.

Nancy.

Comments (23)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

What do you know, I think I know this one, just watched a movie about him for the umpteenth time not too long ago. Peter Lorrie was in it.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Nobody knows at our house. I have someone in mind from an old movie, don't remember if Peter Loire was in the movie.

It has been a wet spring here. Yesterday I did some planting but the soil was still pretty damp. Replaced a couple of mums, planted a clematis to grow through the lilac and got the last two tomato plants in. Skipped a trip to a country peony farm this morning as it was raining and expecting showers throughout the weekend.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annette - interesting. Though the subject matter was similar, it was a different 'vessel'. Now, if you'd said Lionel Barrymore or James Mason, we'd be on the same page, as it were.

Nancy.

9 years ago

James Mason was in it too, didn't name him as I thought it would give it away :). Peter Lorre's character was Conseil. Another well know actor was in it as well. Am I not on the right page here? With me that's entirely possible LOL.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh Annette, why would I ever doubt your film knowledge!!?? I didn't see his credit at 1st and the other movie caught my eye when I looked- I loved the TV version.

Hmmm...is this helping anyone else? you know,speaking of TV, Michael Caine played the character in the series - very mysterious.

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

I'm looking at this for the third time today, but I'm not getting any smarter. Heck, I barely know what an anti-hero is. Holden Caulfield is the only name that popped into my mind, but I clearly need to go back a lot further in time than that.

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Is this based on a novel? Sounds familiar.

I'm sure I was going the wrong direction with my previous posting.

Love Michael Caine's acting but don't recall the series.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Duh, of course it is from literature as you said in the beginning.

Tried to edit the above post but wouldn't let me.

TM I seem to be getting dumber!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Late again, but today that matters so very little. I cannot for the life of me come up with anything. I will join TM in the corner and watch. Have a friend visiting and she wondered about something that does make sense to me, although I did not think of it. I am over my head in very deep water here unless my friend got it.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The son of an Indian Raja, he is a scientific genius who roams, hmmm, roams what, where?? He tries to project a stern, controlled confidence, but he is driven by a thirst for vengeance and a hatred of imperialism focused on the British Empire.

Any help here?

I did quite a bite of weeding in our tiny front garden - it is full of weed seed, mostly grass. Argghhh - what a job. I am starting to get more flexible again though, so this is good. Some dropped off an aquarium for us - I mean - we have no room, and what a lot of work they are - I am searching for another home for it!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Oh, ho! Got it now with your last posting Nancy. How could I have forgotten that?

DH just came home with dinner. Choice between ribs and fish. Think I will choose the ribs and he can have the fish.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Could this be a clue?

Cynthia

9 years ago

Nancy, an aquarium, you could always use it as a propagation chamber :).
    Although we've had a lot of aquariums over the years both fresh and salt water DH has only one large fresh water with a couple of Silver Dollars and a large catfish and a very small salt water one with only 3 fish and a couple of little crawling things, one of the fish is a cute little orange and white clown fish. Now guys, who does a little orange and white clown fish bring to mind :).

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Double post-sorry

This post was edited by cyn427 on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 7:49

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Well! I am congratulating my old buddy who got this way earlier. I on the other hand wouldn't have gotten it until your last clue, Annette! Love that movie and so do my students!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Love the picture, Cyn - and Annette - orange is my favourite colour!! ;-)

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Jules Verne's Captain Nemo from Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea.

While I am familiar with the character and have a vague idea of the story, I have not seen or read any of the various renditions of Captain Nemo story lines.

• thinman
    9 years ago

I recognize the chambered nautilus, and now I get the fish reference -- Nemo. If you make it obvious enough, even I get it eventually. :-)

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lol - and TM that is what clues are for - to try to make it obvious. Well, I'm glad I worked you all a little this week.

Captain Nemo (in Latin Nobody) also known as Prince Dakkar is a fictional character invented by the French science fiction author Jules Verne (1828 - 1905). Nemo appears in two of Verne's novels, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (1870) and The Mysterious Island (1874), and makes a cameo appearance in Verne's play Journey Through the Impossible (1882).

Nemo, one of the most famous antiheroes in fiction, is a mysterious figure. The son of an Indian Raja, he is a scientific genius who roams the depths of the sea in his submarine, the Nautilus, which was built on a deserted island. Nemo tries to project a stern, controlled confidence, but he is driven by a thirst for vengeance and a hatred of imperialism focused on the British Empire. He is also wracked by remorse over the deaths of his crew members and even by the deaths of enemy sailors.

Nemo has appeared in various adaptations of Verne's novels, including films, where he has been portrayed by a number of different actors. He has furthermore been adopted by other authors for inclusion in their novels, most notably in Alan Moore's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Philip José Farmer's The Other Log of Phileas Fogg.

Nemo is Latin for "no one", and also (as ýíüÃÂ) Greek for "I give what is due" (see Nemesis).

Nemo is, moreover, the Latin rendering of Ancient Greek Outis ("Nobody"), the pseudonym adopted by Odysseus, in Greek mythology " a ruse employed to outwit the cyclops Polyphemus.

So there you all go- you got it in the end, but Annette I forget that film references are your forte - bravo my friend.

{{gwi:594516}}{{gwi:594516}}{{gwi:594516}}{{gwi:594516}}

Thanks to all for playing. See you all next week.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Thanks for the fun and love the starfish. Look forward to see what you and Cynthia will use for stars each week. Both of you are very creative and clever.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bobbie, you compliment me - thank you!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Cool starfish. You and Cynthia have set a precedent now -- you'll never be able to use ordinary stars again. :-)

Thanks, Nancy.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Thanks, Nancy.

Love the starfish and the clues were great. Like TM, I finally got it! So much fun.

Cynthia

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH