Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Saturday Trivia

I AM SO SORRY this is so late. Here I am sitting having my tea and toast and reading the paper when it suddenly occurs to me that TODAY is my day to challenge all of you. AARRGGHH.

Good thing I already have a question ready to go. For all you savvy gardeners, can you tell what is the most widely grown plant in the world?

Comments (18)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Good one Cyn, I'm thinking it's probably a grain, but which one? Must give this more thought.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Happy Saturday, Cyn!! It does come early, and this is my least favourite day to work!! Oh well.

Th most widely grown plant - hmmmm. Not the most common crop...oh, here I go down the rabbit hole again. lol.

Nancy.

12 years ago

I seem to be stuck in grains soooooo, I'm guessing wheat.

Annette, who's hoping the rain stays away so I can get some weeding done.

• thinman
    12 years ago

Hmmmmm. So most widely grown doesn't necessarily mean the plant that is grown in the biggest quantity, right? Does it mean the plant that is grown over the largest geographic area?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Shouldn't mess with a mathematician/scientist, should I, TM! Yes, I think it is geographically-speaking. This palnt has been grown on every continent except Antarctica.

• thinman
    12 years ago

I don't really know, but I'm gonna guess rice.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Rice was my thought also.

• frogview00
    12 years ago

what is confusing me is the word gardener in the question. Farmers grow rice or wheat. I'm lost. I guess I'll let the alzheimer's take over (until I try tomorrow.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Not trying to throw you off. Farmers are actually the folks who grow this and not in paddies...

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Okay, not rice, which is grown in paddies. Now I am thinking of another crop which is not exclusively used for humans.

I have been busy outside all day and my feet are hurting. It is still wet and cold enough for long sleeves. Tomorrow I will plant a few things anyway as expecting more rain.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

If I am right, there is a clue in my post above, not too obvious but I'd be amazed if someone didn't get it.

• frogview00
    12 years ago

ok, I'll say lettuce of some sort.

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

well since you said that there was a clue in your post, then it would be either tea or wheat (toast)
    I originally thought wheat but now I wonder about tea........hmm

• thinman
    12 years ago

If I can sneak another guess in this morning, I'll go with good old corn.

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

oops, not thinking! :-) it wasn't cyn that said about the clue in her post. hmmm

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah, but there was one in my post, gg, and you picked up on it. The answer is wheat which has been cultivated for more than 7,000 on every continent excepy Antarctica.

Five stars for Annette *****
    Four stars for gg who narrowed it down to two, one of which was wheat ****
    And, three stars for Jim who also narrowed it down, but then went with lettuce instead ***

Bobbie, do I owe you stars? If I picked up on your clue, I think you were guessing corn, but I could be wrong. If I'm right, I love the clue!

Thanks for playing everyone. Hope this Sunday finds you in good (or vastly improved in a couple of cases) health and exceptional spirits. Now, on to Nancy's question everyone!!

12 years ago

Thanks for the stars Cyn, I was pretty sure wheat grew most everywhere, I thought about rice but I don't think much if any is even grown in my neck of the woods, corn and potatoes also crossed my mind but I settled on wheat, thinking flour for bread :). I know, my mind works in mysterious ways, you'd be rolling on the floor laughing if you knew some of my deduction methods.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

No stars for me. I was going with corn/maize. I know that new varieties of wheat are being developed as an answer to world hunger.

Sponsored