Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

thinman
10 years ago

Good day, dear cottagers. Kinda gloomy and damp here today, which is a small price to pay for the rain that we really needed last night. I hauled a bunch of horse manure yesterday but I didn't want to till it into the garden because of the dust. Now I can. Thank you Mother Nature.

And thank you, Mother Nature, for the huge variety of flowers that we gardeners get to play with, a few of which are listed below. Unfortunately, some rascally gnome has messed with their letters. Can you rearrange the letters to get the botanical names of five flowering plants? The gnome did leave the words in their original alphabetical order.

Teargas Mom
Mushy Merchant
Tuna Dish
Local Mule
Nail Gel

Commence rearranging.
TM

Comments (28)

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Good morning all,
    Wow TM, This is going to be a tough one.
    I got #3
    the rest are going to need a lot of thinking, to say the least.
    :) Laura

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Sorry TM, do you mean the words are intact? It is rainy here too, which was kind of nice to listen to early on, but now is just annoying - too much rain.

Nancy.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Each two word anagram rearranges to make a one word botanical name. Does that clear things up, Nancy?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Oh, this will be great. On my breaks, I will play with words! Fun!

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

The fun commences. Got 3 and 5.

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Nuts!
    This is what separates the real gardens from the wannabes.
    I sell plants! I just don't know most of the botanical names. Heck, they never come when I call them anyway. lol
    Not giving up, must think harder!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I have #3 and #5, too. Still working on the others even though I should be outside again. oh well. This is more fun than weeding!

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Got the second one.

• auntyara
    10 years ago

ok I have #1 and #3.
    lol This is a very challenging trivia Q!
    :) Lauta

Ahahaha! I was just going over this thread, and I noticed I spelled my own name wrong!! lol
    I must have been excited lol (still laughing ay myself)

This post was edited by auntyara on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 21:24

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think #4 will be tough, just because the name is probably not as familiar as 2, 3, and 5. When you finally get it, I'm sure bells will ring.

If #1 is stumping you, you might think of Mary, Mary, and get a hint from what was in her garden. She didn't grow corn, did she?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I keep trying to make campanula work and looked again after your "bells will ring" comment, TM. Oh well. I need to learn more Latin names. The ones I know won't work. I am, however, still rearranging, so maybe something will jump out at me. I am not really hopeful!

Cynthia

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Ha! at this point I'm just making up my own words.
    Ok Maybe #1 is one I created in my head.
    I def, have #3. and #5 is also a famous persons name?
    a, c, d , m ,n!
    yes! that is my final answer. Until I get a brain .
    oops forgot to type(edit) this is me throwing in the trowel! lol :)

This post was edited by auntyara on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 18:33

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

You are funny, Laura!

I was about to cheer when I thought of ageratum for #1, but then, of course, it doesn't work. *sigh* I may be here all night-ha.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Oh gosh, TM! Forgot to wish you a HAPPY Father's Day! Hope everyone came and spoiled you rotten!

Cynthia

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Happy Father's day! TM.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Cynthia and Laura. Nobody came and I didn't get spoiled rotten, but that's OK. We actually had dinner last night at DD2's house, so she gets points, and DD1 is on the west coast (not of Michigan) so I didn't really expect to see her show up. She will be calling soon, I imagine.

I've had an outstanding day gardening, puttering, and taking it easy, with homemade pizza for dinner. And of course playing trivia with you.

By the way, did you know that if you have a pizza with radius z and height a, the volume of it will be Pi(z*z)a.? I can't take credit for this. It's been going around.

TM

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Speaking of bells, have you ever seen green ones?

TM

• auntyara
    10 years ago

did the have a copper tone?

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

We are back from our FDay picnic which got rained out--a brief shower with wind-- and sun has come out again.

Ok, got number 5 though thought it had two cs?

Number 1 to go, figure it has to start with a.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alert!
    Alert!
    Alert!

Number 4, local mule, should have had 2 cs. I have seen the word with just one c and somehow that stuck in my head, but it is a lot more common for it to have two.

I really really hate to mess up like that, especially when you all are working hard trying to make sense out of a bad clue.

Sorry
    Sorry
    Sorry

Thanks, Bobbie, for catching that.

TM

P.S. Yes, the first one starts with a.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Got number 1 with help from DH. Clue, the last letters form a woman's name.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Agrostemma
    Chrysanthemum
    Dianthus
    Moluccella
    Nigella

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bobbie has them!

Agrostemma - corn cockles
    Chrysanthemum
    Dianthus
    Moluccella - bells of Ireland
    Nigella

for Bobbie, plus a bonus star for going above and beyond.

for Cynthia and Laura for doing a great job with difficult material.

Sorry you couldn't get back with us, Nancy.
    Missed you, Annette.

Thanks for playing, all, and again, sorry for screwing up moluccella. You have no idea how much it bothers me to have made that mistake. I had double checked that the letters in the anagram matched up with the ones in the original word, but never thought to double check my spelling. That's what false confidence will do for you!

Until next time,
    TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Ha, I only got the last one, the mind has been on other things. Something's come up here so unfortunately I'll be missing in action for awhile, I'll be back when things are back on track.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars and the fun, TM. This was a challenge that kept me interested all day and evening. No problem with the spelling of bells of Ireland since you said it can be spelled both ways, which I did not know. Used to grow those and think I will again next year.

Ooh, Annette, will miss you and hope whatever can be resolved and you can rejoin us soon.

Laura, Your comments often bring a smile or laugh to my day.

Cynthia, thinking of you these last few school days.

Nancy, glad to hear that you are out and about again.

TM, would love to share some of this almost daily rain. Are you growing for market again this year? Do you take starter plants to the sprinig market? Hope you are getting some boating/fishing time.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Oh, I was so close! I got Dianthus and Nigella quickly. I did think of Chrysanthemum, but not sure why I didn't follow through-I suspect I was bleary-eyed at that point. :). I also was close to Moluccella, but I wasn't familiar with that name, so couldn't be sure I had anything.

That was loads of fun, TM. It also showed me how I need to brush up on the botanical names of some less familiar (to me) plants.

Thanks for the stars. You were overly generous.

Thanks, Bobbie. I am counting the minutes at this point. I check out Wednesday at 8:50. Yippee. I will also gladly take some of your rain. Despite what has seemed like decent amounts of rain, our soil is very dry. Ugh.

Laura, I second what Bobbie said!

Nancy, are you up and about like normal, now? Hope so.

Annette, I will miss you. Hope everything settles down quickly and you are back here soon.

Cynthia

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bobbie - no market growing for me. My summers are going to be all-fun summers from now on, including lots of fishing. I hope practice makes perfect.

About moluccella - I found a British web site where they claimed that moluccella is a "mis-spelt" version of molucella. Maybe in England? Anyway, water over the dam ... My market customers always liked Bells of Ireland. I had one customer who liked a small bouquet of just Bells and Cornflowers.

Annette - best wishes for resolving your current issue. I hope it's not too scary.

TM

• auntyara
    10 years ago

TM,
    Thanks for the fun! and the very generous stars :)
    I knew #1 was agro??? I've grown cockleshells, but even with all the letters I still couldn't put it together lol
    #3 I got right away (yeay me)
    #5 I got because when I signed into my email, Somebody famous, named Nigella, was "trending" what ever that is.

I'll happily take the stars :) !!!

I'm so glad you guys get my sense of humor. Some times people think I'm being a sarcastic jerk.
    I'm really not, lol. I blame/thank my Dad. Growing up, we watched a lot of game shows, and I got used to shouting out the first thing that popped in my head. ( we were very competitive).
    Now it's an uncontrollable habit. Because we would often have silly banter/ silly comments, I can't stop that part either. Nor do I want to.
    I am my father's Daughter. I miss him,

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz