Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

thinman
10 years ago

Good morning, dear cottagers. Mighty chilly at 46 F here this morning after the rainy cold front came through last night. I may have to put off my veggie planting until the soil dries out a little.

Sports trivia isn't what we usually do here, but this question is timely, and I know you will have a good chance of guessing it. Maybe too good. :)

On this day in 1935, a famous sports figure named George retired at the age of 40 after 22 seasons. George was a poor boy from Baltimore who turned out to have outstanding athletic talent and was one of the first five men inducted into his sport's hall of fame.

Do you know who George was?

TM

Comments (25)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Great question, TM! Will be running through all the Georges I can think of and when that gets me nowhere, I will ask Charles. Haha. Back later-pots to plant for deck. :)

Cynthia

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Good morning all,
    Absolutely beautiful day here! Best one in a long time. The birds are chirping away and a gentle breeze to boot!
    As usual I think I know know the answer, just to be proven wrong.
    Was he once on a team that everyone in NY hates?
    :) Laura

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Well, T-storms came through last night and cleared the heat and the humidity out. Yea!! Still overcast, so we might get more rain!!

I know little to nothing about American sports, so will need lots of clues, which may still not help!! lol.

Nancy.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laura - yes indeed, for awhile.

Nancy - you don't have to know too much about sports to know about this guy. He is that famous.

Cynthia - don't get too hung up on George.

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

LOL, now I have chocolate bars running through my mind, not good when I'm trying very hard to lose some pounds.

Annette

• auntyara
    10 years ago

I heard he was a huge fan of hotdogs. I myself can't eat more than 2. Then I feel sick lol.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Ahhh, a cherubic nick-name perhaps?? That crossed my mind but seemed too simple to be....

About 90F here, but great breezes - still very humid and my energy level is 0. I think the heat is bothering my incision site, so I'm trying to keep cool and sit sideways, when I sit - lol. I am an odd-looking creature!! Annette, you wouldn't like the diet I've been on: I'm down about 18 lbs., which is good, but it is due to the lack of appetite. As long as I don't put it back on, I might be able to get back to normal, and wouldn't that be great!! Thanks for putting up with my ramblings - I can't keep on one subject too long, and even though I'm off the heavy meds, continuous thought is difficult.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

No, I wasn't. I think my first thought was right. Are we looking for someone who is associated with bad luck for his old team after they sold him...dare I call it a curse?

Cynthia

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Cyn, I thinks so too, To bad it only lasted 80 something years.

Oh Nancy, keep a fan on that. This heat and humidity can't be fun for you.
    :)Laura

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think that you are all thinking the same thing now, so I'm ready with a follow up question. Our hero George joined the New York Yankees in 1919 and became a huge star, slugging home run after home run. The Yankees had been sharing a field, the Polo Grounds, with the New York Giants, and it was decided to build a new showplace stadium, Yankee Stadium, which opened in 1923. Yankee Stadium soon acquired a nickname. Can you complete it?

The house that _______ _______.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Well, yes, yes I can! Has to do with construction, doesn't it? ;) BTW, one of my favorite baseball stories is the one about his calling the shot for his next home run when he was up to bat once. Can't remember which game, though.

I am one of those sentimental fools who loves all the old fields like Camden Yard where the Orioles still play. Our new Nats field has the same small feel, but lots of lights and message boards. Still, always fun.

I love this question!

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Yep, I know that one too :).

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Yes, I love R&B music!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

TM, told you on my trivia thread from yesterday how cute that pup of yours was! Just in case you don't get back to see it, wanted you to know!

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

DH hit on this one right away. I might have gotten it on my own with the latter clues. I got the clue about the reference to the stadium.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

School night, so time to get ready for bed.

Here are my answers- the Sultan of Swat, the Babe, the Great Bambino...Babe Ruth and Yankee Stadium was most definitely The House that Ruth Built!

Woohoo. So much fun when I actually know one. Haha.

Thanks for the fun TM! You made my day-I've been smiling since this morning.

Cynthia

• auntyara
    10 years ago

lol this tread reminds me of the movie "sand lot"
    I only knew it was_ _ _ _ , _ _ _ _, cause I'm from NY and my Dad was, and I am, a Yankee fan.
    PS Love Robinson Cano. He reminds me of Bernie Williams (sigh) Who reminds me of The "Sultan of swat" , ok not the same, just reminds me....lol Which reminds me of a Stephen King novel....
    rambling.

This post was edited by auntyara on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 21:40

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

George Herman Ruth Jr., Babe Ruth.

The house that Ruth built.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think it's safe to say that Annette, Bobbie, Cynthia, Laura, and Nancy all get
    for knowing it was Babe Ruth.

Annette, Bobbie, and Cynthia get an extra for knowing The House That Ruth Built.

Here's an interesting clip about his youth.:
    At the age of 7, the trouble-making Ruth became too much of a handful for his busy parents. Routinely caught wandering the dockyards, drinking, chewing tobacco, and taunting local police officers, his parents finally decided he needed more discipline than they could give him. Ruth's family sent him to St. Mary's Industrial School for Boys, a Catholic orphanage and reformatory that became Babe's home for the next 12 years. Ruth particularly looked up to a monk named Brother Mathias, who became a father figure to the young boy.

Knack for Baseball

Mathias, along with several other monks of the order, introduced Ruth to baseball, a game at which the boy excelled. By the time he was 15, Ruth showed exceptional skill both as a strong hitter and pitcher. It was his pitching that initially caught the attention of Jack Dunn, the owner of the minor league Baltimore Orioles. At the time, the Orioles groomed players for the major league team known as the Boston Red Sox, and Dunn saw promise in Ruth's athletic performance. Only 19, the law at the time stated that Ruth had to have a legal guardian sign his baseball contract in order for him to play professionally. As a result, Dunn became Ruth's legal guardian, leading teammates to jokingly call Ruth "Dunn's new babe." The joke stuck, and Ruth quickly earned the nickname "Babe" Ruth.

Not an easy life. He died at 53.

Thanks for playing trivia with me.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Thanks for the fun, TM. btw, R&B = Ruth Built! lol.

Nancy,

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All right Nancy! Take that extra star. :)

I wondered what the R & B was about.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Only in my devious, drug-addled mind!!

Nancy.

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Thanks for the Stars and the fun!
    I total missed answering that 2nd _____ _____. LOL. Better keep my mind sharp for the next time.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the fun and question, TM. Wow, Ruth was sure a wild seven year old. Sad that his parents felt they had to send him away. And so it goes, everything coming together to make him the legend he has become.

We had two days of no rain and strong winds which dried out the garden enough to plant my pole beans, cucumbers, and peppers and extra tomato plants. With rain the next three days and temps only in the mid to high sixties I hope my beans sprout and don't rot.

Nancy, I still have ridges in my fingernails from lack of appetite after my knee replacement a year ago. A side effect no one told me could happen.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars TM. Fun questions!

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio