Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday

Good Saturday Morning Cottagers!! A lovely June morning morning here - not a cloud in the sky!! Laundry and weeding seem to be my lot!! On to Trivia.

Well, nothing trivial about Thomas Nast!! He was a famous German-born American who created and/or popularized many icons. What kind of icons, which icons?? These are the questions I ask today of our cottage trivia sleuths. I fear this may be trivia-light for Cynthia, or perhaps the rest of you. Or maybe just a fun question to bat about. As always, I will be back with clues!!

Nancy.

This post was edited by midnightsmum on Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 11:42

Comments (14)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Do you mean Thomas Nast? If so, yes, now I can get to putting away piles of laundry and regular weekend cleaning plus a little silver polishing (dear friend from PA coming to visit next weekend). She is so easy-going. She even married someone at the opposite end of the political spectrum from herself (and from us). Not sure if I could do that.

So I will check back in case it is John Nast in which case nothing comes to mind.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh cynthia - even when I check my self I am worng - yes, it is Thomas Nast and I feared this might be too easy for you.

Rats, well, I expect help with clues and I see you have given one already. I am such an ass.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

You are so funny. Not worth worrying about imho. Of course, I live here at the center of the universe as we all know-or at least in a political junkie's mind. Haha.

Now, I can relax and clean!

Here is a funny thing from yesterday's D-Day commemoration. I was letting the kids watch live when this came on and I burst out laughing which led to some explanation of world events in fourth grade language.

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Obama and Putin

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Cloudy, cool, and gray here after rain last night and early this morning. Need to close the windows and get a throw to keep warm. So much rain this spring that the sump pump cycles on and off every day. Thankfully we have some dry sunny days in between showers. The only animals loving this weather are ducks and mosquitoes.

With Hiliary Clinton's TV interview Monday the presidential race is off and running. I stubbornly try to ignore the ads as long as possible.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

...are we talking long memories and hee haw's ?

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And another friendlier figure - oh dear. This was way too easy. It of course stemmed from my desire to understand the history of the symbols. Canada of course follows British traditions: Tory blue and Grit red. So interesting to see your colours reversed, as it were.

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Even I, dear Nancy, have a pretty good idea which two icons you are asking about. Cynthia's first clue clued me in. I'm looking forward to reading your account of how the two were picked.

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I love editorial cartoons whether I agree with them or not. I recently read a book about the Civil War which talked about Nast's political cartoons. I also associate him with Boss Tweed.
    While I don't know if he invented them I believe he made the donkey and elephant popular as symbols of the political parties.

If I get four stars I think it will be a gift unless the friendly icon I am thinking of is correct.

Had to turn the heat on as feels like winter. Lows in the forties.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Yep, I also immediately thought of Boss Tweed! Also the donkey and elephant symbols of our political parties down here.

I seem to think that he is often associated with a jolly old man, but it also seems that I read something about that being a common misconception. Not sure on that.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

{{gwi:605778}}

According to Wikipedia, Thomas Nast was the "Father of the American Cartoon". He was the scourge of Boss Tweed and the Tammany Hall political machine. Among his notable works were the creation of the modern version of Santa Claus and the political symbol of the elephant for the Republican Party. Contrary to popular belief, Nast did not create Uncle Sam (the male personification of the American people), Columbia (the female personification of American values), or the Democratic donkey, though he did popularize these symbols through his art. Nast was associated with the magazine Harper's Weekly from 1859 to 1860 and from 1862 until 1886.
    Nast's drawings were instrumental in the downfall of Boss Tweed, the powerful Tammany Hall leader. As commissioner of public works for New York City, Tweed led a ring that by 1870 had gained total control of the city's government, and controlled "a working majority in the State Legislature".

Andrew Jackson was called an ass by an opponent and he worked this to his advantage. Nast drew the above cartoon, the elephant based on a Aesop fable, and this stuck with the public.

{{gwi:605779}}

This is Nast's take on Santa Claus, which was quite different for the day.

I guess you all knew this - I didn't and found this fascinating.

So, for everyone:

{{gwi:598938}}

I'll come up with something more challenging next week!!

Thanks for playing. Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Historic Elephant and Donkey

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Love that and yours stars are fantastic! Thanks for the fun. Every now and then, it is nice to feel that I am not a complete dolt! ;)

• thinman
    9 years ago

I didn't know all this at all, Nancy. Without clues I would have been nowhere, and even with clues, I guessed only the elephant and the donkey -- none of the rest.

Verrrrry interesting stuff. Thank you!

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Now and then I actually know the answer to trivia without needing clues. Fun to try to sneak a clue in for others.
    Thanks, Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cynthia, I am not sure what universe you would be considered a dolt!! Bobbie, thanks for the assist!! I just always found it interesting that these particular animals were used a party symbols!!

Nancy.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022