Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

Sigh. I loved Nancy's loon question yesterday. Mine today is not nearly as lovely a subject.

My Aunt Annie (great or great-great actually), who I never met, had the first flush toilet on Chincoteague Island on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. Although there were indoor facilities way back (Romans and in the Indus Valley more than 4,000 years ago,for example), what do you know about the first flush toilet in the world? Oh, and no, Thomas Crapper is not the answer, although he did own a plumbing supply store in London in the 19th century.

I will be back with clues.

Cynthia

Comments (28)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Good one Cyn, I have absolutely no idea, need lots of clues.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I'm with Annette, waiting for clues.

• thinman
    9 years ago

And I'll get in the clue queue too.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, one hint is in order here. I do not expect you to come up with the name of the inventor, but rather that of his famous godparent for whom he invented it. He created two, one for her and one for himself. Sadly, or perhaps amusingly, it was not a gift that was used. Seems there was an embarrassment factor in that everyone would be aware of your doings when the flushing occurred.

Cynthia

• thinman
    9 years ago

I wonder if the famous godparent was royalty.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

TM, saw this on Facebook:

"My dentist told me I need a crown. I was like, I KNOW, RIGHT?"

Haha. I love that.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

If the person was royalty I think she would be a long reigning English monarch known for her severely modest apparel, black mostly.

9 years ago

Hmmmmm, did she have 1 after her name???

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Annette, I don't think a '1', cause she was the one and only, to date. If I am thinking of the right person. I have no idea who she might have been godmother to.....

Nancy - who was amused by a museum about such things in Seattle. The first 'sanitary' pipes were logs which had the centres burned out. They didn't know about back-flow valves, and piped the effluent straight into Puget Sound. Then the tide came in....

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just came in from gardening. Weeding would be more accurate. I need some courtiers who would jump up to do that sort of thing for me and perhaps throw a cape to prevent me from (almost) sitting on top of some sort of scat. I have taken up the habit of sitting and scooting from area to area on my butt which is ever so much easier than getting up and moving on my feet.

Here is a little poetry for your Sunday.
    "That very time I saw
    but thou couldst not
    Flying between the cold moon and the earth,
    Cupid all arm'd: a certain aim he took
    At a fair vestal throned by the west,
    And loos'd his love-shaft smartly from his bow
    As it should pierce a hundred-thousand hearts:
    But I might see young Cupid's fiery shaft
    Quench'd in the chaste beams of the watery moon,
    And the imperial votaress passed on,
    In maiden meditation fancy free." Act II., Sc. i.

Cynthia

• thinman
    9 years ago

I'm pretty ignorant about royalty and poetry, to name just a couple of things, so I hope Annette, Bobbie, and Nancy can take up the slack.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

A gallant Sir indeed, she said through a haze of smoke!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Are we talking about Sir W.? The smoke ...

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

I'm guessing, based on Annettes post....

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am obsessing over having a pond or some sort of water in this garden.. I have visions of frogs, fish, dragonflies, etc. in reality, I would probably have an armada of mosquitoes breeding. I did have a zen three level fountain at one point, but the crazy dogs pulled out the tubing and I have never been able to find just the right size to fix it. Now, I have two lovely algae-prone concrete dog watering stations and one very large planter. Sigh. It wouldn't be like this if I were queen!

Have to say that I am having fun on a website that includes a link to a dictionary from this era. Right up my alley. The term too too meaning excessive was coined during this period. Oh, and the poetry was from "A Midsummer Night's Dream."

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

OK, now I am confused - I had one Sir in mind, now another comes to mind.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

The cape and pond and smoking take us back to the queen Annette was most likely thinking about with a I after her name, the virgin queen, -R.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, there were more than a few Sirs actually.

Sounds as if you are all there. The poem/lines from Shakespeare were meant to lead you where Bobbie is-chaste, vestal throned, maiden, etc.

I will wait a bit to make sure, though...and to give me time to find some cool stars!!

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

That poem was full of good clues and I got them all and should have noted that above. Midsummer Night's Dream is a favorite. One year I saw five productions as so many of the theaters were doing that play. One production was set in modern times.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Edited: Sorry, posted to the wrong day.

Here is a link that might be useful: MN State Quarter

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 20:35

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Love the quarter!!

OK, so it was the Queen, not the Sir - got it. 1 indeed!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Elizabeth I, the Virgin Queen, Queen of England, daughter of Henry VIII and Anne Bolelyn.

9 years ago

Yes, Elizabeth I,

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, it was Elizabeth's godson who actually created the first flush toilet. Here is a paragraph and I will link the complete article below as well.

So four stars for Annette, Nancy, and Bobbie. I suspect TM deserves them as well. Here is the crown you all so justly deserve.

Have a marvelous Monday everyone!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is one more link and one more crown, just because they are so pretty! Oops, forgot the paragraph above. Must be my headache. Anyway, it is in the link above.

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Link 2

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Love the tiara's Cyn - I do agree, we should have crowns!!!

Thanks for the fun. Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Cynthia, but I don't deserve a single star for this one. Elizabeth I was nowhere in my mental pipeline. I thought royalty might be a key, but that was as far as I got.

I probably won't remember that her godson was the first to invent the flush toilet, but I think I will remember that it wasn't Thomas Crapper.

Fun question and answer. Thank you!

I hope your headache goes away soon. DW is a sufferer, and it's not fun.

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Beautiful crowns. Nice to have a choice for different occasions.
    Wouldn't have thought Elizabeth I would be embarrassed as thought she was a gutsy lady.

Thanks for the question and great clues.

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH