Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

The sound of chain saws - oh, joy

schoolhouse_gw
12 years ago

Heard some noises going on at the neighbors this morning as I walked my dog. Then I heard a chain saw....oh boy. Some guy is cutting down the pine trees along the property line. He's got all the lower limbs of one off already. Now I get a great view of their swimming pool, pool deck and half built fence on the other side of the pool. Plus all their "toys", and when he starts cutting down the other trees, I get to sit and see all their cars and pickups in their driveway.

Just when my shrub and tree screen I've been planting was beginning to grow well and just tall enough so far to make a difference. Now I'll have to start all over and wait another 7 - 10 years to gain a bit of privacy. UGH. Well, to be fair, I understand the trees are old and one was leaning; but still. It makes me depressed to see them go.

Sorry, just had to vent.

Comments (11)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

I feel for you, when something like this happen it really gives one a sinking feeling because there isn't an overnight fix. All one can do is plant accordingly on one's own side of the fence and hope to h*ll it's a fast grower.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. I know it's not the end of the world but sometimes it's just so...frustrating. And I'm going to tell you I actually cried a little bit, felt foolish but couldn't help it.

I went down and watched them for awhile, a bunch of limbs and branches fell on my fence; but he tried hard to not do that. I knew they landed on two big forsythia, and almost on that very same Deutzia I posted photos of yesterday on the discussion side! I said something to the young kid who was his helper, and he kept checking to make sure nothing landed on it. I even changed into jeans and got my gloves thinking I'd help clean up; but then it was just too depressing and I had to get out of there. So I went to a friend's where he was having a music jam and potluck today at his farm.

When I got home around 5p., I walked the dog down there to see how much they got cleaned up and they did get it all off my side. The forsythia are sort of laying on the ground but I think they'll bounce back up. The fence was not hurt at all that I can tell. But he still has the tree's trunk to take down. I noticed he didn't start on the others yet, maybe he'll "forget" to cut them down. ha. One thing for sure, there's alot more sun coming through too, so the things I have planted will probably grow so much better and faster now.

Like I always say - that's the life of a gardener, you gotta get used to change.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

At least it sounds like he is trying to be respectful, but it would have been nice to maybe have mentioned these plans to you. My old neighbours on the river were pretty much scorched earth when it came to landscaping!!

Nancy.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I talked to the neighbor this morning as she pulled in her drive from working third shift. She looks so tired, I felt sorry for her. She said she feared the pines would fall and create more damage than if she had them methodically cut down.

But then she said, "Besides, we can't keep any of our vehicles clean, the birds sit in the trees and poop on them all the time". Hmmm. Well, I guess she's right about the ones at the side of their driveway, close to my fence and property line; but still. Don't park there! :)

The tree cutter is coming back Saturday to do more damage, I'll probably have to leave again because of the stress. This time the tree coming down will be in sight of the bottom of my hedge tunnel. All those years of creating the screen down there and in one day it will be gone. However, I suppose with more sun coming in, my shrubs will grow bigger and faster. I really don't know how he's going to drop the big limbs that are hanging over my side without them hitting into my plantings and the hedge.

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

This is exactly why my neighbor asked for a "blank" area between our fences. I need to plant something evergreen in there for us. He's got a great screen growing in his yard, I plan one in mine...but for years we would just sit and look at one another! My house is so much lower than his, his is up on a hill from me. I can plant some evergreens or something "sticky" between us because 6' fences just aren't doing the trick!!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had a brilliant idea this afternoon. There was still a pack of Mammoth Russian Sunflower seed in my seed basket that needed planted. So I scratched up the soil down there right where the big gap is and planted a row of them. However the soil is pretty thin and really acidic (because of the pines), so I'll just have to wait and see if any germinate.

The sunflowers are suppose to grow to 10' tall - that would be great! ;)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Schoolhouse- Great idea! The sunflowers should grow pretty fast and give you a nice screen for the summer. I know it's sad to lose the trees...and the privacy...but now you can grow so many things, with the additional light and (probably) better soil. Add a bunch of aged horse manure and plant some big, beautiful shrubs...like lilacs! I wish you were closer and I'd give you a bunch of mine! They're 3' to 5' tall and I have to move them, before we rip out an old fence, around the farmhouse. They're just the babies along one end, but there's still at least 20 plants.

Maybe think of this as an opportunity to put in a nice screen that you will have control over. There are so many lovely plants that you could put there...maybe even grow something on the fence with the additional sunshine? Morning glories, moonflowers, clematis? There must be lots of possibilities! :)

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Later this Fall, I may transplant my James McFarland lilac over there. It's only about 4' right now, but growing gang busters even in semi shade and bloomed wonderfully this Spring. Trouble is, I'm not too sure about the soil. Will have to research to see if lilacs and acid soil get along.

• frogview00
    12 years ago

I guess it is one of the reasons why they say "A gardener's garden is never done".

Jim

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

schoolhouse- it can SEEM like the end of the world when your beautiful daily view suddenly changes so drastically.
    so don't feel ashamed of crying- i bawled like a furious baby when my neighbor cut down 100+ year old oak trees and there was not a thing i could do about it, and you know i felt very close to homicide.
    sorry. i hope you can find some kind of a solution.
    min

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The tree man came back yesterday and took down the big pine at the end and side of their drive. This Pine is at the bottom of my hedge tunnel, only on their property of course. I had just come in from mowing all morning and then heard the saws. Stayed in the house as long as possible, then went out and finished the mowing. I didn't even walk down there to see the results until late afternoon.

Of the shrubs I had put in on my side of the fence, two of the little arborvitae were split, one pretty bad. The young viburnum had three broken branches, all the ditch lilies that grew there naturally are crushed. The scrub trees on their side of the fence which were providing a bit of natural screening are now buried under a big pile of pine limbs and branches, up against the fence. There's a huge open spot now. Looks hideous - for now - I'll get used to it. Much more sun coming through to the shrubs, too.

There are two more pines to come down. My Bladder Bush is under and near one. So are my red twig dogwoods, hollies and young redbud tree. When I thought these big pines were on my property (ignorant), I had planted an Oak Hydrangea in between two of them. Years later, it is big and has beautiful blooms. I fear it will be sacrificed as well. But - it's technically not mine. sigh.

I couldn't sleep last night. Thanks for letting me vent. I'll get over it.