Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

First Tea of June...and it's still raining...

lavender_lass
12 years ago

Well, it's June and we've had so much rain, my tulips are just starting to bloom! They're so pretty, but in June? :)

The apple tree and lilacs are just starting to open, so I'm hoping to take pictures this weekend. It's supposed to be sunny for the next three to four days, so lots to do and tomatoes to plant. How is June in your area?

For tea today, I'm having Earl Grey (of course) and an English Muffin, but I may make some muffins or a pineapple upside down cake later. Pinapple sounds good and my mom loves it, so maybe I'll take some up for tea with her, tomorrow.

I found this picture yesterday, three ladies having tea in the garden...and thought of us. I think we need an extra chair for Becky and anyone else that stops by...but it would be fun to all sit down in a garden and have tea together. Until then, this is the next best thing :)

{{gwi:605877}}

Comments (5)

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Well, I'm telling you other two ladies that I will go fetch the new wicker chair I bought yesterday, for Becky, as soon as I drink my cup of tea. Should we have waited to pour?

I'm edging beds today, just came in for a quick break and then out again to finish up. I started this morning at 10:30a. Decided I might need a couple more bags of mulch, so drove all the way into Lowes to discover the brand I use is all sold out. They have 1300 bags on the way, but are not sure when they'll get to the store. I use Black Medallion to use as edging only. Shredded leaves go into the beds and borders themselves, which I did earlier this morning.

I'll mow as soon as I get the edging done, better to put down the mulch afterwards anyway. A beautiful day here today.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Just thinking about a cup of tea now. DH and I just came in from trying to bird/mink/otter/racoon? proof our koi pool. Something got two of our koi in the last week :(. We ended up stretching some deer netting over the pool, anchoring along the edges as best we could. If it's either a heron or a kingfisher I think we've solved the problem, if it's a mink or otter, well let's say we've got a real problem not easily solved. An electric fence is another option but really don't want to go that route.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Oh,sorry about the koi. They are such beautiful fish, how long have had them? Hope the netting worked.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

It seems to be working, we've had koi in this pool over 10-15 years without a problem until now, this pool is in the garden room which has a fiberglas roof over it.
    This winter we were losing goldfish from our other pool which is out in the open so I scooped up the remaining goldfish and threw them in with the koi. I don't see any scales around so I strongly suspect the culprit is a bird. Once we give this pool a good clean I'm only going to stock it with cheap feeder goldfish.

I was just congratulating myself on how well the Koi came through the miserable winter we just had, even the small one we bought last year HA!!!. Of course the $#%@ bird had to take the two prettiest ones :(.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I wasn't going to tell you this story since you are a goldfish/Koi lover, but when I first laid the stone for the courtyard I included a small pond in the middle. I added gold fish and enjoyed them until they started to eat the algae and bugs in there and hid from me most other times. Anyhow, by Fall that year only a couple were left. Someone said they would survive the winter in the pond as long as it was deep enough.

Well, in late winter I looked in the pond and there was a goldfish frozen solid in the ice. :( I felt so bad for him I almost cried. The pond only lasted another couple of years, dogs kept jumping in and splashing all the water out, and eventually it quit holding water altogether so I filled it in with dirt.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!