Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunday Trivia

Posted by cyn427 z7aN. VA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 12:23

Looks like Nancy is delayed. I hope it is due to something unexpectedly good and not bad (thinking of you TM).

Anyway, here is something to fill the void. Nancy, feel free to post your planned question which is probably MUCH more interesting than this one!

Since we covered the current most widely grown plant yesterday, would you like to try to come up with what was the world's largest agricultural crop before 1883? I haven't come up with any good clues yet, but will think and return with help for you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunday Trivia

Thanks Cyn - my modem is up and down like, well, you know. Will try to post later. Nancy.

o

Aha, this is a different kettle of fish, must give this one some thought.

Annette

o

Phew, I am glad the modem is the only problem, Nancy.

So, if anyone is in need of a vacation, Virginia is a wonderful place to visit. You can see the homes of Thomas Jefferson and George Washington (and seriously, if you ever get to Mt Vernon, we live only a few miles away and love company and would gladly take you around). Both presidents loved farming and both grew this plant.

If you like sailing, you can do that on the Potomac, although I do not recommend falling in the water-pretty polluted south of DC).

I am astounded by all the uses I have found for this plant-had no idea! Will be back later with another installment.

o

Hmmm...thinking most everyone is out today or thought the trivia was off for the day.

Annette do you want more clues or should we save this for next Saturday or make it a week-long question and leave it open?

o

More clues please, I can't remember what crops GW and TJ grew, think I knew at one time but I'm afraid that got tossed in the delete file along with a bunch of other stuff. I've dismissed cotton and tobacco I don't think they're grown worldwide. I bet others will chime in later. You say it has many uses Hmmmmmmmm, still thinking.

Annette

o

I'm not saying this is an official guess or anything, but I'm wondering about hemp.

ThinMan

o

Hemp, by jove I think you've got it TM. It was used for lots of different things, rope, clothing, oil to name a few. It does seem to fit the bill, I think the answer could very well be hemp.

Annette

o

Ok Annette. This plant is making a comeback-I have actually bought clothes made of it and a certain actor is trying hard to encourage its cultivation as a resource that can be used for many things. It was in the past and is again used for medicinal purposes. For years the seed oil was used in paints and varnishes and also in oil lamps-it burned brighter than other oils and was used until whale oil became the preferred source for lamp oil in the 1870s. My reference to sailing is that this was used to make canvas sails. Van Gogh, Gainsborough and Rembrandt, to name a few, used painting canvases made from this and the word canvas is derived from the Latin name of the plant. That should give it to you if you are close to my age-ha.

TM, let me know when you want to make an official guess! :)

Cheers,
Cynthia

o

I will go with hemp as well.

I have been outside all afternoon making a mini hosta bed. Whew, it is humid out but not too hot. I'm taking a break and having a lemonade, cheers to you all.

o

Okay, no sense in making all of you wait.

Five stars for everyone! ***** Hemp is correct.In addition to the other uses, until 1883 75-90% of all paper was made with cannaibis hemp fiber and I also saw that the first and second drafts of Declaration of Independence were written on Dutch hemp paper before it was copied and printed on parchment.

Oh and did you pick up on the 'Cheers' clue? I felt a little clever on that one. Woody Harrelson (spelling?) is the actor who is a proponent of using hemp.

Thanks for playing again. You are all just too smart. I will work harder to find a challenge for next Saturday! :)

I tried to get better stars, but can't seem to do it. Will continue to work on it this week!

o

The Cheers clue is fun now that you explain it, but I would never have put it together. Didn't know Woody was backing the grow hemp movement.

Good questions, Cynthia. Thanks for all the fun.

o

"Both presidents loved farming and both grew this plant" got me thinking about hemp but "bought clothes made of it and a certain actor is trying hard to encourage its cultivation as a resource that can be used for many things" clues confirmed it. I remember the jokes about Woody and using cannabis for clothes.

I had no idea of the answer without your clues.

Thanks for the hard question and good clues.

o

Glad you both liked it. There is a little shop on Ocracoke Island that sells hemp clothes. I have slacks that are soft and comfy and several tops. It is similar to linen, but not as wrinkly.

Have a marvelous week. See you Saturday.

o

Good one, Cyn. I would have guessed tobacco, and been wrong. Internet guy was here and replaced my faulty modem. In this area we have had funky t-storms, funnels clouds and microbursts over the last week or so. I suggested this might be why it failed, and he agreed. So, here I am - good to go again. See you all next weekend.

Nancy.

o

Hey Cyn-just caught the bit about where live. Here's what I need to know - how close are you to the Potomoc Mills Mall?? The happiest place on earth, in Nancy's world. lol.

Nancy.

o

We are about half an hour away-more with typical traffic. I would visit Ikea more often if it weren't for that mess on I-95! However, I am always willing to take visitors on road trips! ;)

o

IKEA we have - I love, love, love Off 5th!!!!

Nancy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here