Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Aw jeepers. Color my face red! I know I wrote the trivia question this morning before 9:00 am. Obviously, I either did not hit submit after preview or I posted it elsewhere. I am so sorry! Then, I left to go to a barn sale and just got home.

So, just in case you check back: on June 22, 1950, something happened to Leonard Bernstein, Aaron Copland, Pete Seeger, Lena Horne, and Artie Shaw. Any guesses?

By the way, we got lost out in the country, but it was great fun anyway. I would love to live out there and just spend every day communing with nature. So pretty and lots of fun spots to stop and look at antiques.

Cynthia

Comments (13)

• thinman
    10 years ago

No problem, Cynthia, I'm glad it wasn't anything bad.

I'm guessing that the thing that happened to the people you listed was, if not bad, at least annoying. I think a guy named Joe may have played a role.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ha. Thought this might be too easy, TM.

So, I have brought all my school stuff home since I am moving to a new school next year. I have so many house projects for the summer! I think I had better make a list so as not to forget anything.

I have in mind to build a short wall from the sidewalk along the driveway to the front walk. Have any of you done a drystack stone wall? Wondering if I am being overly optimistic about my abilities.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Oh there you are - I too worried that something nefarious had happened to you.

My mind too leapt to 'Joe Not-Cool'. Such a bad man.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am so sorry I worried you both. I must have hit the 'back' arrow instead of posting my question this morning. I posted (or thought I did) before I ran out for bird seed at 9:00. Meant to check in before I left at 9:30 to leave a little clue. Had I done tat, I would have realized that I never finished posting successfully. So pathetic. Of course, I was able to work in the 'red' clue easily and the list clue wasn't hard. Did you pick up on the commune clue?

Just in case the others didn't give up completely and count me out for the day, I will wait until tomorrow for your stars. You are such good comrades! ;)

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

If you have rocks with a couple of fairly flat sides that stack easily, I think it is not hard to build a dry-stacked wall, especially a short one. The basic rule, that I'll bet you know, is that every joint between rocks needs to be spanned by a rock in the next course up. The rocks around here are usually too round for easy stacking, but a retaining wall can be done by leaning it back a little so the earth will support it vertically.

Here's one I built 11 years ago with rocks that came out of our ground. It's still standing.

It took me a few days, most of it spent trying to puzzle out where I could fit each rock, and then taking it back out to try another one that would look better. The top never did come out right, but by that point I didn't have many rocks left to choose from. I enjoyed it, though.

I'm sure you can do it.

TM

P.S. Yes, the commune clue is what got me thinking in the right direction. That and Pete Seeger.

This post was edited by thinman on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 21:03

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

I had a friend who built stone walls professionally - he said you had to hear the rocks 'click' together!! Wink, wink. He meant when they fit, you could feel and see it. Ha, he could cause he was a pro!!

TM, I have to ask, is that annual MG or the perennial? I ask cause I'd never seen the perennial before, but we have it here at this house - never seen it in this zone! The flowers look like Heavenly Blue.

Cyn, it was the 50's, as well as Seeger, Bernstein and Horne that got me.....lol. So amazed to think they sounded subversive!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

We had a big thunderstorm last evening and lost power. Still out but am at Champs for dinner and to cool off, 81 degrees and humid. A neighbor lost a tree, hitting the corner of his garage. I had the wood chips dumped on my driveway and have been busy putting them in the beds, about half done. Should have only gotten half the load. We will move the excess to the back yard and start a couple of lasagna beds.

DH knew the answer immediately and I got it from the clues. Amazing how black the house is without any lights. I found two flashlights so we each have one to get around. Went to bed early, before midnight, as reading by flashlight is not too comfortable.

Don't know if I will be checking in tomorrow. We heard power may be out until Tuesday but saw a truck at the generator when we passed on the way here so maybe we will be surprised when we get home. No damage in our yard, a few small twigs here and there. Others in the neighborhood lost large branches and trees down.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

We arrived home to find several trucks and other vehicles at the end of the block. Before long they were in our neighbor's back yard and on his roof with a big light shining into a large tree and two guys cutting down branches.
    When they left they said there was another spot to fix further down the line. While DH and I were playing Triple Yahtzee in the soft glow of two flashlights shining on the ceiling our lights suddenly came on. Hurrah for the electric company storm crew! Lights back on before midnight!

I think June 22, 1950 must have been when the group was called to testify before Joe McCarthy's House of UnAmerican Activities Committee. I recall that Seger did not testify and was later blacklisted. Seger was (and is?) a communist. Though later leaving the party he continued to support communist activities and regimes in both his political activities and his music for many, many years. I think time has shown that one can continue to appreciate the man's music while being aware of his political connections.

• thinman
    10 years ago

My thought is that those folks were targets of Joe McCarthy and his anti-communist crusade. I don't know how far it went with each of them.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Four stars for TM, Nancy, and Bobbie. June 22 was the day these musicians were named as possible Communist sympathizers.

As to Pete Seeger, he did join the Communist Party at age 17. By 1949, he had pulled away from it and did not support Soviet style communism at all. He served in the Pacific during WWII (trained as an airplane mechanic but the army decided to use him to entertain the troops instead), but has been a voice for non-violence over the years. He is a strong environmental voice as well. In a 1995 interview, however, he insisted that "I still call myself a communist, because communism is no more what Russia made of it than Christianity is what the churches make of it." Perhaps, idealist might fit him better.

Thanks for playing all even though I was way late. Have a wonderful Sunday and even better week.

Annette, just in case, thinking of you.

Cynthia

ps. Inserted "communist stars", but then thought better of it-when I previewed, I didn't want my post to look quite like that!

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Communist star?? Now I am curious. Thanks for the stars and the brain stretch, Cyn.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars and obviously your being late to post was not a problem for me.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Another good one, Cynthia! Thank you.

TM

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?