Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Food burned on a pot

Posted by midnightsmum 4b ON (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 13, 11 at 16:25

My large, stainless pot, to be precise. I have scrubbed, boiled, etc. Still I have lots of carbonized crap welded on the bottom. Somewhere in my misty memory, I seem to recall that cooking rhubarb in the pot will help.....does anyone else have that memory??

TIA, Nancy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Food burned on a pot

I've heard rhubarb works but haven't tried it myself. Have you ever tried Easy Off oven cleaner? I have used this on my all my STAINLESS STEEL pots on occasion. Spray the inside of your pot with E.O. stick the lid on and leave it over night. You might have to do this twice if it's really baked on. Just don't let the cleaner touch anything other than the stainless steel. I do all my SS pots inside and out every couple of years they come up as clean as a whistle.

Annette

o

That's sounds like a plan, I just have any EO. Must shop, but will try the rhubarb scraps, in the short term. Thanks, I wasn't sure if I was having false memories, lol.

Nancy.

o

I'd never heard of rhubarb! Not like I can really get it here...but horsetail works great.
I have been soaking my pots in baking soda when I burn them. Even burned really badly I truck it outside, pour in a bit of water (hot water, don't want the pan to bend) and baking soda. Overnight soaking with a lid on it to keep the critters out of it and in general some good elbow grease and a brillo and it comes out.
I constantly burn rice and beans.

o

I use cold water and drop a fabric softner sheet in it,let it set over nightand it should all come out without a lot of scrubbing.

I always heard that using hot water cooks it on more!!
kathi

o

Huh!! I haven't had a chance to pick up EO yet - I must try some of the above remedies - I will post pics!!

Nancy.

o

This is from an email circulating around the internet these days about various uses for Bounce dryer sheets:

Clean baked-on foods from a cooking pan. Put a sheet in a pan, fill with water, let sit overnight, and sponge clean. The anti-static agent apparently weakens the bond between the food and the pan.

I haven't tried this. I just soak and scrub with Brillo or equivalent.

Barbara in Virginia zone 7a

o

I was told to use tomato sauce or ketchup to get burned oatmeal out of a stainless steel pan. I coated the burned area with ketchup and let it work overnight. My pot came clean.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here