Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Allotment Garden

Posted by midnightsmum 4b ON (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 12 at 17:26

I finally found my camera again, so took it with me today. There is some kind of critter there, chowing down on plants, so I feared the worst, since I hadn't been in 2 weeks.
Photobucket
I need not have feared - aside from a few green beans and the lower leaves of a couple of peppers, all seems to be OK!!
I have 2 4' X 8' sections, which seems to be lots of space.
Photobucket\
Here is the okra, sprouting even though I forgot to soak it!!
Photobucket
Most seeds have sprouted - not the oregano, but it was old seed. I forgot to bring the newer with me, so next time I'll resow. They are on a good sized property, next to the
Rideau Canal here. I found this rather sad site:
Photobucket
A snapper must have laid eggs here, and some resident foxes found the cache. Too bad, but the foxes need to eat too. Also ran around and harvested some cat mint. I'm going to dry it and make cat toys for the local animal rescue. They can sell them to raise a little money, and it grows wild here.

Nancy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Allotment Garden

Oh, everything looks so healthy! It is going to be so much fun watching all your veggies grow up.

Poor little turtles.

o

Looks like you have a good start with your veggies. Is an allotment like a community garden here?

o

Yes, like a community garden. I pay $15 for the year, which offsets the costs of construction and water. There aren't too many, but even so, a couple haven't been started yet - they're going to miss the season. It is city water, but they have put it into rain-barrels, so that it will de-chlorinate!! I'd prefer a system to pull water from the river, but that's not really allowed - great 'tea', though.

Nancy.

o

Lookin' good Nancy.

Annette

o

Looks good, Nancy. I like the raised beds, not so much bending over. :)

Okra? You grow okra in Ontario? I thought that was just a southern thing.

TM

o

lo. Well, TM - I don't know if I can get fruit!! The Stokes seed package says that if you can grow sweet corn, you can grow okra, so we'll see. I can't wait to see the flowers, as I have been told that they are hibiscus-like. I'll keep ya'll posted. I have grown peanuts here. Yum. It was interesting to figure out how to cook/roast them. If you have a kid you'd like to get hooked on gardening, watching them grow is a good way, I'd say. They are a (small) commercial crop in SW Ontario, in former tobacco territory. They love the sandy soil, and that's what I had when I grew them.

Nancy.

o

Okra is probably an aquired taste. I like to put it in my home made vegetable beef soup.
I prefer it fried. I fry it whole when the pods are about 2 inches long.

k

Here is a link that might be useful: about okra

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here