Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlgroupgirl

unmerciful heat 'wave'?

girlgroupgirl
13 years ago

Are any of you other gardeners experiencing incredibly hot weather. The Southerners must. This is at least the 3rd week in the mid-high 90's ever day, with a heat index of over 100.

High humidity most days too.

It does not look like it is letting up for at least the next 10 days. Who turned on the oven!!!?!

Comments (22)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

How terrible, I couldn't take that kind of heat even for a short time. Up in my neck of the woods we're all complaining about the cool temps and the rain but at least we can turn up the heat and get out of the rain. In both cases gardens are suffering from the weather. Hopefully it will cool off for you in the near future and some of that excess sun will head our way.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

No, not in the 90s yet. Here it has been in the middle 80s since Friday. We might get a thunderstorm overnight, that's great as we could use the rain. Amazing how after all those days of continual and heavy rain, now the ground is dry and cracked. If it doesn't rain overnight, I'll have to start carrying water to both the flower and veggie gardens.

At least I got the front of the garage painted this morning and spot-primed the back. I got so tired going up and down that ladder all day, but it will be worth it. Saved myself some money,too.

• natal
    13 years ago

Climate change. Seems like every month we're setting some new record ... whether it's rain, lack of, or heat.

• Annie
    13 years ago

Yes, we are having the same unmerciful weather here. Record breaking high temps and heat index of 100 or more. Even at night the temps are still in the 80s. And the humidity is steamy. It looks hazy out and the sun is blinding white. For the first time ever, the National Emergency & Weather Radio is broadcasting daily warnings telling everyone here in Oklahoma to stay indoors with an AC on during the day, and to protect your animals too. I have had this emergency radio for years and they have never done that before. They have announced the heat index, but never told people to stay indoors like that before.

The times....they are a'changin'

• DYH
    13 years ago

It will be 99 again here today. Heat index to push 107. Yep, I'm in the oven, too. All the rain is going around us...there were thunderstorms and such east of here. Not a drop here. I'm actually having to drag hoses around to my drought-loving plants. Enough is enough, even for those.

Cameron

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

It's 90 right now at 4pm. As long as I keep doors and windows closed, window blinds down and a couple of table fans running, my house will stay comfortable enough.

I did go out for a few minutes to fill a bird feeder and snap some photos awhile ago, but oh my. The cat needs food but I don't feel like driving anywhere. He'll have to eat the dry food for now.

13 years ago

Sure wish I could send you guys some of our cooler weather it's 62 and overcast. At least it's comfortable working outside, I haven't had to water the garden at all this year with the exception of the enclosed area which has a roof over it. A very weird year so far.
    Our spring was very wet so maybe we'll have a nice fall, one can only hope. Summer, what's that? Probably going to skip it this year.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

A thunderstorm with high winds went through two hours ago, and now I hear thunder again and the sky is darkening - really getting dark. Yikes.

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse, did you fair OK?
    The lavender is dying. I've gone one left, it is starting to flower again so tomorrow I'm taking the blossoms for jelly, because I doubt it will be around for much longer. So much heat and the rain is not coming regularly, so it's dry on top of the soil and wet way underneath.
    My tomatoes look so bizarre! I am hoping they all don't have wilt...heat stress maybe. If this continues how will I grow food with freezing all winter and blistering nonsense all summer? Yeesh. The scientists are getting a very good idea about "gobal warming". It's more "global wonky".

• DYH
    13 years ago

It hit 101 F here yesterday. Supposed to be 98 today. Hopefully, we'll get rain soon.

I had to water my agastache...something that I've never had to do except when newly planted. The buddleia even look sad and they practically grow like weeds. I watered my one favorite and the rest will have to handle it.

I have a miniature coneflower with lots of miniature 1 1/2" blooms. It is so pretty, but I don't know if it's an anomaly of the weather or I've got a new variety! I grew it from seeds collected in my own garden.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Yes, I'm fine. The wind blew, but all is ok; and there was quite a bit of lightning when I went to bed. One thunder clap made the windows on the back of the house rattle! I went out and turned the back porch light on to see if a tree had come down but there wasn't any damage.

Today it is humid with cloudy skies. Sure hope we don't get any of your 101 temps here wonbyherwits.

• Annie
    13 years ago

The cold front moved into the state and we got our rain this morning. A whopping big one - 0.96 inches. But it is 17 degrees cooler right now. Only 80 degrees out there. That's just right for me. There is a gentle breeze coming out of the South and it feels good. The mosquitoes are bad though. I bought some Deep Woods Off yesterday. Can't go out without it. They were hovering around my legs yesterday and I could not slap fast enough and kill enough of them to even make a dent. Just this little cloud of them flying around me and zinging me. I had to pick up a tree branch to flail them off my back, but I got nailed anyway. Voracious little buggers. Gads!

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Same here, the mosquitoes out in full force during the day not just in the evening. There's bite on my neck that looks like a hickey.

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

For goodness sakes. We have been promised that cold front and had some rumbles and shudders and it's still hot out there. This morning was quite pleasant - the breeze in the air was dry but where's the rain and the 80's!? My poor air conditioning is working overtime because I've been canning up a storm...

• neverenoughflowers
    13 years ago

It's the 4th of July and 94 degrees. It is forecasted to be in the upper 90's for the next few days and the low 100's on Tuesday. We haven't had any rain in over a week and I dread having to go out and water everything, as we are on a well. The lawn has finally succumb to the heat and is a lovely shade of light brown.

I would be thrilled to have some 80's temps.

Carol

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh, I feel sorry for you Carol. We are at right about 89 here with a similar forecast for the coming week. I mentioned in Discussions that I fell asleep in the chair for a couple hours today. Guess what I dreamed of? A terrible dark sky and a storm brewing! :)

13 years ago

......HA!!! it's the 4th of July, we are usually having temps in the 80's by now, last year it was in the nineties. It is a bit warmer today 66 but still trying to rain. The weatherman is saying we'll hit 90 next weekend, it's not bad when the temp goes up gradually but when it comes out of the blue it knocks your socks off. Hoping for cool breezes for those suffering from heat waves.

Annette

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The last two days have been unusually cool here. No air conditioning needed (but rain is!!!) Hot again this week.

• DYH
    13 years ago

We're about to have 5 days straight of 95+ with 100 degrees by Tuesday and NO RAIN.

My cottage pinks are done in--nearly all clumps are brown and fried. The pinks have edged one path in my cottage garden since when we built the house in 2005. A few purple heuchera that have done well for years are also crispy and the creeping jenny (gold) around them is definitely fried. It's all that I can do to keep the daylilies going. The foliage is looking really bad now.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

I hear ya'. I was poking around the garden this morning and came upon my Coreopsis blooming but dry and frizzled in the center. I had been ignoring this little corner of the garden and never knew it was suffering. I quickly deadheaded and gave it a big drink.

It's very hot here BUT the sky has clouded up - almost as tho a storm was brewing. Maybe we'll get some rain later in the afternoon. If we do, it had better be a soaker or it won't be worth much.

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, hot again this week (today) but chances for pop-up storms coming this next week. I hope we get some. I've emptied my rain barrels, so now I only have one from the air condensation next door filling up (slowly)

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Tonight, the heat is unbearable. I have a big floor fan running in the livingroom and I thought opening the livingroom door would help but it only let in the humid night air. Ugh.

Thunderstorms are predicted for late tonight and then tomorrow morning, and the sky does look like it may be clouding up. At least it did as the sun went down.