Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep: Weekend Trivia - Saturday

thinman
13 years ago

I'll be at the farmers' market Saturday morning, and I can't be sure I'll have time to post this before I go, so here it is a little early.

I've tried something a little different this week. The idea is for you to guess the names of three common birds by listening to their songs. When you click on the links below, your computer will download a sound file (a .wav file). It may run the sound all by itself, or it may ask you if you want to save it or run it. If you have to click on a program to run the file, Windows Media Player should work. Mac users are on your own, but I suppose Macs will handle it with perfect grace and probably serve you breakfast in bed as well.

If you're on a slow connection, the files may take some time to load. Sorry!

Go ahead and give it a try. I hope it works.

Bird 1

Bird 2

Bird 3

ThinMan

Comments (14)

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

I'll try.

The first is a Robin? the second a Chickadee, but I don't know about number three - Cardinal? :)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

As best as I can make out I'd say the first is a Robin, second possibly a Chickadee or a Red Winged Blackbird and the third ? still thinking on that one.

Annette

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just checked, and Bird 3 is generally found in the midwest and eastward in the US, and west central Canada. Since that leaves out you westerners I guess it was not a great choice for this trivia question. Sorry.

Here's a big hint, though.

Could this bird have been a favorite of David Austin?

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

1. Robin
    2. definitely chickadee-dee-dee
    3. Hmmmm...I know they're around here, but who are they??? Might be a swallow?? Someone with better rose knowledge than I should get the clue!!

Hi All - perking up a little bit more every day. Last week was wild - I am off of the heavy drugs, just taking extra-strength tylenol now. Whew. Still waiting for the morning when I wake up refreshed! I have at least slept well through the last 2 nights!!! Yea!!

Nancy.

13 years ago

Mmmmmmm, D.A. has a 'Canary Bird' maybe a Gold finch for No. 3 We have them here but they don't come into my garden for some reason so don't have much of a chance to hear their song.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Yes! Annette maybe be right- the third is a finch?

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

Goldfinch could be right - it does sound like a finch, and I have them around here. Annette - they love thistle seeds and native primrose!!

Nancy.

13 years ago

Nancy, not even thistle seed can lure them into my garden, the closest I've lured them (with thistle seed) is in the hedgerow by our back fence and that was a couple of years ago. We have lots of different birds coming to our feeders but the goldfinch boycott them :(.

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, it is a member of the finch family, but it's common name doesn't have the word finch in it.

Anyone ... anyone?

TM

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Not a wren is it?

• thinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This wouldn't post the first time I tried it, so let's see if it works now.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nancy - glad to hear your pain level is subsiding. I really had no idea what the recovery from knee replacement was like. It sounds like an ordeal to me!

You all nailed the first two birds, a robin and a chickadee. The third bird was a rose-breasted grosbeak, which is apparently not as common around your houses as it is mine. They are pretty birds and I really enjoy their songs.

{{gwi:606802}}

Since the grosbeak wasn't a very fair question, I think you deserve five stars for getting just the first two, so for Schoolhouse, Annette, and Nancy.

TM

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

I almost said Rose Breasted Grosbeak! but only as a wild guess as I don't recognize its song. Here's a photo of one at my feeder a couple of weeks ago. The last time I saw one was May of 2007, I made a note of it in my Peterson's bird book.

I was raining and I took the shot thru the kitchen window, if you closely you can see just make it out.
    {{gwi:606808}}

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

That should read, "IT was raining", not me.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

Yes, I have a breeding pair here!! That's why the song was familiar!!! So pretty.

Thanks TM.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County