Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Morning all,

Actually, it is Friday night for me and I am home from taking our neighbor out to dinner and have Midsomer Murders on the tv. Lovely. Her daughter stays out in Middleburg with her horses and friends for one evening each week, so we entertain her 85 year-old mom. Love her, so it is fun for us, too.

Since I have to go into school in the morning to finish up paperwork and start packing up my room, I thought I would post tonight. I should be home by noon or one, so if this stumps you, I can start clues then.

So, what is the slowest-moving fish in the ocean?

See you all in about 15 hours.

Cynthia

Comments (17)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Hmmm...I wonder how far the fish would get in 15 hours?? Is this like a head start in a game of tag!! lol. Need to think about this...

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Cynthia - good job getting a post in even though you are gone this morning. Nancy asked if I could do it this morning and I said yes, but this is better, at least for me. :)

Once upon a time I would have thought starfish was the answer, but I understand they are not really fish. More thought is required, and probably hints.

I'm off to my first farmers' market this morning and will check back in sometime after 1:00.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Argghhh...TM - mea culpa. I forgot that CG is still linked to my old email addy. Sorry, I thought it odd you didn't respond!! Thanks anyway!

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Well, what do you know I think I actually know this one. It's very small and role reversals come into play with this one.

Annette

• thinman
    11 years ago

Ahhh, that explains it, Nancy. I thought some kind of glitch must have happened. As for the slow fish, I'm still working on that, and by working, I mean waiting to see if mental lightning strikes or a huge hint appears.

Annette's hint hasn't done it for me yet. Annette, are you all over feeling peely-wally and back to normal?

TM

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Mental lightning is not going to strike me so I am waiting for more clues.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

LOL TM, I'm back to my normal, if you can call it that.
    Some people have these in aquariums, when we were into salt water aquariums we thought about getting a couple but passed on it.
    I picked up on Cyn's clue. The females of this species has an easy time of it if you ask me.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I am back. Anyone here into mythology? I think my favorite god is Poseidon. Odd what one comes across when cleaning out a classroom/office. Two more days, but I am all cleaned up now and on built-in shelves and boxes. Of course, if I have to move offices, then I will need to box the stuff/books I have on shelves and not in boxes. I will not be a happy camper if that happens.

TM, hope the market was fun and profitable. Farmers' markets are one of my favorite things about summer and fall. My dad used to take us to the 69th Street market near Philadelphia (maybe it was actually in Phila.) to get cider in the fall. What a great dad!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Ahhh...is this a bit of a horse race, to see which of us is slowest with the clues??

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Heehee.

Yes, Nancy, Poseidon is a clue, but I suspect you know that.

Would it help to know that one of my co-teachers is expecting and has been so sick that she wishes her DH could be the pregnant one?

Cynthia

• thinman
    11 years ago

Role reversal and Poseidon. Got it. Don't know what it means. Color me stumped.

TM

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Did not get back here until now. Got it from Nancy's last clue and all the other clues make sense. I have forgotten, does the male carry the babies in his mouth?

At one time we had a skeleton of one but no idea what happened to it, probably got broken as it was fragile.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Scratch that question about the mouth. I remember the male has something in commen with kangaroos.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The slowest moving fish, according to the Guiness Book of World Records is the seahorse-specifically, H. zosterae (the dwarf seahorse)with a top speed of about 5 feet (150 cm) per hour. Their genus is Hippocampus which comes from the Greek: hippo=horse, kampus= sea monster. They swim very poorly, rapidly fluttering a dorsal fin and using pectoral fins (located behind their eyes) to steer. Seahorses have no caudal fin. Since they are poor swimmers, they are most likely to be found resting with their prehensile tails wound around a stationary object.

**** for Annette and Bobbie. Nancy, do I owe you stars, too?

Some interesting facts from Wikipedia:
    Seahorses range in size from 0.6 to 14 in. They are named for their equine appearance. Although they are bony fish, they do not have scales but rather thin skin stretched over a series of bony plates, which are arranged in rings throughout their body. Each species has a distinct number of rings. Seahorses swim upright, another characteristic that is not shared by their close pipefish relatives, who swim horizontally. Unusual among fish, seahorses have a flexible, well-defined neck. They also sport a coronet on the head, which is distinct for each individual.

The male seahorse is equipped with a brood pouch on the ventral, or front-facing, side. When mating, the female seahorse deposits up to 1,500 eggs in the male's pouch. The male carries the eggs for 9 to 45 days until the seahorses emerge fully developed, but very small. Once the seahorses are released into the water, the male's role is done and he offers no further care.

Many seahorse species are data deficient, and there is insufficient information to make an assessment about their risk of extinction. Because the seahorse population is unknown, there is a risk of losing more seahorses because of the lack of information about how many are dying each year, how many are being born, the number used for souvenirs, etc. Coral reefs and seagrass beds are deteriorating, reducing viable habitats for seahorses.

As Annette said, people do sometimes keep them in aquaria, but if culled from the wild, they do not survive well under such circumstances. Seahorses are being bred in captivity now and those survive better in an aquarium.

Oh, and Poseidon's steed is a seahorse.

Happy Father's Day, TM! Hope you get lots of hugs and no ties!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

lol. Great question! Yes, I NEED stars!! Now off to post my question.

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

A seahorse! I would never have guessed it, though now that I know it, it does come back to me that Poseidon rode a seahorse. That little tidbit was buried somewhere in what passes for my brain. We all know a zillion things, it's the retrieving of them that is hard.

Great question, Cynthia, and thanks for the Fathers' Day wishes. DD2 and the GSs have already been here today, and I got hugs and no ties. Perfect.

TM

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Thanks for the stars, Cynthia. I had forgotten that Poseidon rode a seahorse. I have a vague memory of an image of him rising from the sea.

Thanks, Nancy and Annette, for your clues.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm