Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia-Saturday

Good morning everyone.

I hope none of you is suffering the heat wave we are. Air temps are over 100these days and I imagine it is already over 80 degrees this morning as it was yesterday by 7 am.

Makes me want to head away on vacation...to Paris, perhaps.

I have been reading a wonderful book entitled Dawn of the Belle Epoque (I would underline the title, but, well, you know), It is an easy read and is absolutely fascinating. I have learned all sorts of new tidbits about some of my favorite artists and authors such as Monet, Zola, Hugo, Debussey, Morisot, Rodin, etc., etc. The subtitle is "The Paris of Monet, Zola, Bernhardt, Eiffel, Debussey, Clemenceau, and Their Friends." I highly recommend it!

So, one of the things I learned was that haute-cuisine in the 19th century in France was inspired by a celebrated chef named Marie-Antoine Careme. His feasts were elaborate and included quite rich dishes of "astonishing appearance" and size. However, two men formed an association that revolutionized both French cuisine and hotel restaurants. Previously, women of good reputation would not have considered entering a hotel restaurant with a male companion. A certain hotel owner changed all that when he hired a new chef who lightened the meals, reduced the number of courses, and developed the a la carte menu.

The hotel owner was already known by society as someone who could be counted upon to see to their every need and desire and was sought after as he moved around Europe working for others before he owned his own place.

Who were these two icons of perfection in the service industry?

Cynthia

Comments (10)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Morning, Cyn. It has been crazy hot here, too. No break in sight!!

One name pops to mind immediately - the other, not so much. Must go to work to dream of 'buerre blanc'!!! lol.

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Oh dear, me thinks I'm stumped once again. French cooking at least the kind I've had hasn't really appealed to me, too rich or bland for my taste so haven't delved into the subject much. One exception is Peach Melba, yummy I think I know who invented this, Escoffier.
    The only other chef that pops into my head at the moment is Caesar Cardini who invented the Caesar Salad and he doesn't count for todays question :(.

Annette

• thinman
    12 years ago

The only name I can think of reminds me of a crunchy snack food. I'll check back later to see if there are any hints from persons who actually know about this.

ThinMan

• frogview00
    12 years ago

I 'am soooo 'blue collar' that if its fancier than Gorton's Fish or Kraft's Mac&Cheese,...I haven't got a clue!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL frog! I am a big fan of fish sticks, cheese and crackers, and mac&cheese myself. No putting on airs here!

Still, I love sauces and there is nothing better on a cold winter day than a warm crepe from a street cart-even better than Philadelphia pretzels.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

You have street carts that do crepes?? I'm moving. Hmmmm...I think that Annette named one?? The other that I thought of is 'M'...or am I on the Left Bank?? lol.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

From Annette's comment I remembered the hotelier Ceasar R. Now I have the ditty "Puttin on the R---" in my head.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nancy, the crepe cart was in Dijon. I studied there when I was in college. You got to pick your filling. They were the best ever!

Off to search the tv guide for an old Fred Astaire film. Feel like dancing. :)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Wow, I feel like going to Dijon!! Yum. OK, I am going to guess Escoffier and Maxim....I'm late back, cause I went out last night. Cyn usually posts the answer while I'm getting mine posted - maybe I can sneak in??

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ha, Nancy, I've been waiting for you! Grandpup gets us up before six am-ugh!

Well, everyone got part of the answer. The two gentlemen were Cesar Ritz and Escoffier. They joined forces in 1886, but it was about ten years later that Ritz opened his own hotel. While Escoffier was offering lighter and simpler food that appealed to women, Ritz was making his hotel restaurants proper and elegant enough that proper and elegant women could safely accompany their male relations to them.

Loved your reference, TM! 'gal, I also have had "Puttin' on the Ritz" going through my head since yesterday!

Abientot mes amis.

Cynthia

Thanks for playing.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting