Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Weekend Trivia -- Saturday

thinman
11 years ago

Good morning and happy weekend, everyone. Each year about 400 people apply for a patent for a particular device, and through the years an amazing 4400 some patents have been granted for it. Only maybe 20 or so designs have actually made any money, but apparently inventors keep plugging away at it. What do you think the device is?

TM

Comments (15)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Good morning TM, well let me see now what could it be....
    Darn, I haven't the foggiest I'll be looking for clues. Have a great day at the farmer's market.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Pure guess, seems like someone is always trying to invent a better mousetrap.

• thinman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry I have been shirking my duty as trivia and clue supplier today. I hit a real lazy streak after I got home from the market today, which, by the way, set a new personal record for me( yay!).

Yesterday, my flower prep day, out of the blue I got a phone call from an ex-student who was in Michigan from California and would like to come over and say hi. He was with friends from Colombia, and over they came. We had a great time talking and meeting his friends (pay attention now) Victor and Isobel, and their two boys Juan Diego and Esteban. Very very nice family and visit, but it did put me a few hours behind in my cutting and bouquet-making. Well worth it, though.

Believe it or not, there actually is a clue in there somewhere, and a pretty good one if you are familiar with the device in question here, at least many of the US versions. I know products may differ across the border.

TM

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Glad to hear you had a very successful day at the market, TM. Do you have any recent photos of your bouquets to share? The ones selling at our local f market are quite lovely. I see lots of people buying them.

Didn't get the clue but glad that you enjoyed visiting with an ex-student and friends. Those surprise visits can add a spark to our day/week. We recently had a good visit from an ex-colleague that we hadn't seen for many, many years.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Ahhhh, Victor, I believe that my Midnight enjoyed the fruits of his labours, a couple of years ago!! Lots of play value left!! lol. Sorry I missed this am, I was flying not to be late. Home sweet home, with a stop to water my very thirsty allotment. I don't think I'm in love with raised beds, unless I could put a drip system in. Still no rain, but at least the worst of the heat has eased!!

Nancy.

11 years ago

LOL Nancy, our Basil in fine voice came trotting across the lawn this morning with a gift for DH. He has learned he can trade for treats, not really appreciated when he starts to serenade us under the bedroom window at 3am tho...

Sooooo, I'm guessing we are looking at a mouse trap as the answer?

TM, congrats on your day at the market, but it really doesn't surprise me, not after seeing some of the bouquets you've made up.

Annette who has spent the day weeding and wacking outside and is now pooped. It's bathtub weekend so there'll be fireworks at 10 tonight :), I'm just a big kid at heart.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Ha,ha, Annette, I am wondering about bathtub weekend and what kind of fireworks you mean. Are water restrictions that tight?

I think Midnight is a cat so am staying with mousetraps.

11 years ago

LOL mnwgal, we just got home from the fireworks it was awesome as usual. What we refer to as bathtub weekend is the 4 day marine festival held in Nanaimo B.C. 3rd weekend in July each year. The race is tomorrow, google bathtub races if you're interested in seeing what it's all about.

Annette

• thinman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

for all of you. I was afraid this would turn out to be too easy, but I got a kick out of hearing this statistic on the American Pickers TV show on The History Channel. DW and I really enjoy the show and I think that by now we have watched all the episodes, many twice.

I was thinking of asking if you knew who is being quoted in the statement Build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door. The answer is Ralph Waldo Emerson, sort of. It turns out that what he wrote was actually If a man has good corn or wood, or boards, or pigs, to sell, or can make better chairs or knives, crucibles or church organs, than anybody else, you will find a broad hard-beaten road to his house, though it be in the woods. It would be hard to fit that on one of those inspirational posters, wouldn't it?

Thanks for playing trivia with me. I'll have to check and see when Cynthia said she would be back, but if I'm back next Saturday, I'll come up with a real humdinger. Two easy ones in a row are at least one too many. :)

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

lol. I don't know if I qualify for a humdinger!! As always, lots of fun TM. It was a good memory for me!! Midnight used to come inside on especially damp or rainy nights, to invite me out to the hunt - I guess it was better then. I was going to re-name him 4 a.m.!! lol. Annette, that bathtub race is quite the thing, I never knew when in the summer it was!

Nancy.

• thinman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think my old English teachers would have something to say about my first paragraph above, and that something would be Run-on sentence!! :)

TM

• thinman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bobbie - I haven't taken any photos yet this season of my bouquets. On the the day I make them, I'm usually feeling too busy to grab the camera and find a nice background. I really need to do it though, to get some pics for my Facebook page and garden blog.

Thanks for asking and reminding me.

TM

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Thanks for the trivia question, TM. Amazing statistics. I still use the old snap type ones that we've had for years. We get mice in the fall except last year when I put dried fleabane in the basement. I had read that would discourage mice. Seemed to work last year so I will use it again this fall.

I did a search on some old postings and saw some of your bouquets from previous years. Also found links to your Facebook page and blog which I checked out. Both very interesting. Love those lily bouquets. Nice to see your cutting gardens in bloom over the years. I'm very impressed with your ingenuity and the amount of effort that goes into producing those bouquets.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Annette, I am familiar with bathtub races but not your festival. Couldn't resist the opportunity to share the laugh from the thoughts that popped up in my mind.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

TM, your glad and millet bouquets are gorgeous! Didn't get either planted this year. I like to use the millet in my fall and winter planters.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz